Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2020, 11:20 AM
leon

Boosting WiFi Signal if Possible Please

Hi Guys,

We are currently on a property where the WiFi signal is quite poor and are only able to pick up 3G at the moment and I expect this will be the case for the duration of our stay here, which will be at least 12 weeks.

Of late I have had great signal strength elsewhere with 4G and even 5G which made loading pages very quick, i think i have been spoiled.

Anyway, is there anyway to boost my signal strength whilst i am on this property, maybe put the WIFi unit outside, maybe put it further from the Computer in the Caravan, or maybe someone could suggest something else.

We use a Telstra 4G portable Wi Fi unit which has served us very well of late.

I also currently use a Netgear WHA3100 Adapter with my Desk Top as well which dose serve me well also.

Would a new faster D Link Adapter or similar prove more efficient maybe as i have had the one in the desk top form many years.

So any suggestions would be appreciated please, or am i stuck with the signal strengths until i relocate.
Also the Telstra Tower is in sight wit less than a kilometer away.

So is it the WiFi signal strength causing the issue or has the adapter got something to do with it as well.

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Old 17-02-2020, 11:40 AM
bojan
amateur

High-gain antenna can help here, position of WiFi server should be as high as possible.
This adapter (on comp side) is very useful, as the USB cable could be longer (up to ~3m), and antenna has ~5dB gain.
I was using high gain (15dB), similar to this directional patch antenna..
Old 17-02-2020, 01:34 PM
leon

Thank You Bojan, that maybe just what I am looking for, I will have to order one of each i reckon, twenty dollars well spent.

Leon
Old 17-02-2020, 03:08 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (shutterstock_107685965-615px.jpg)
17.0 KB6 views
Old 17-02-2020, 07:20 PM
leon

Ok Marc, now what am I to do with a coat hanger please.

Leon
Old 18-02-2020, 10:03 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Ok Marc, now what am I to do with a coat hanger please.

Leon
Bigger antenna. Worked for my 2CV radio back home. Sorry. Bad joke.
Old 18-02-2020, 11:10 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi Guys,

We are currently on a property where the WiFi signal is quite poor and are only able to pick up 3G at the moment and I expect this will be the case for the duration of our stay here, which will be at least 12 weeks.

Of late I have had great signal strength elsewhere with 4G and even 5G which made loading pages very quick, i think i have been spoiled.

Anyway, is there anyway to boost my signal strength whilst i am on this property, maybe put the WIFi unit outside, maybe put it further from the Computer in the Caravan, or maybe someone could suggest something else.

We use a Telstra 4G portable Wi Fi unit which has served us very well of late.

I also currently use a Netgear WHA3100 Adapter with my Desk Top as well which dose serve me well also.

Would a new faster D Link Adapter or similar prove more efficient maybe as i have had the one in the desk top form many years.

So any suggestions would be appreciated please, or am i stuck with the signal strengths until i relocate.
Also the Telstra Tower is in sight wit less than a kilometer away.

So is it the WiFi signal strength causing the issue or has the adapter got something to do with it as well.

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Hi Leon,

Any or all of the the factors you mentioned and others, could easily conspire to degrade the signal you are receiving. In order to maximise the signal you may need to experiment, with the telstra 4G unit and your connection to it to possibly improve matters, but it would be instructive to know:

Q1. Exactly which Telstra 4G unit are you using? Link or picture perhaps
Q2. How are you connecting the Telstra 4G unit to your laptop or PC, wirelessly or via Network Cable or via USB? (There may be more than one way to connect to better advantage)

Having clarified that I would take your Telstra 4G unit outdoors (for testing) to minimise any potential obstruction (metal body of caravan,etc..) , connect it preferably via network cable or USB (if either is available) and initially compare the received signal strength with what you experience inside your caravan.

Then rotate the telstra 4G device to see whether there is any increase in signal strength (there may not be depending on the directionality or omnidirectionality of the receiving aerial inside the device or outside the device if an external aerial is fitted.)

Next try to use a metal reflector (perhaps a metal trash can lid or sheet metal circa 300-400mm square or so) to increase the signal strength, placed behind the aerial and perpendicular to the line in space between the Telstra 4G unit and the Telstra Tower you believe is servicing your area. Experiment with reflector position Perhaps 10-100mm away from aerial/4G device), orientation and shape in an attempt to maximise received signal, providing that your device has some way of showing you the received signal strength (hopefully).

|
|..........o................................... ................................... ...................X < Telstra Tower
|
|
Reflector ^Telstra 4G Unit

If you notice any improvements fine tune them for max signal and then go inside and compare and don't play outside/leave gear out during storms, etc..

I once had success with twin metal parabolic reflectors on an indoor twin aerial wireless modem increasing range and reducing omni-directionality (helping to keep out potential snoops towards the front of our property). I've never tried a "cantenna waveguide" (Think large coffee can with aerial "precisely" located inside), but it may be of use to you in creating a stronger signal.

Or ask an RF guy

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 18-02-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:58 PM
leon

Thanks for all that helpful information JA, I have a number of options open available for me.
The unit that i use is very similar to this in the picture.

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (aa.jpg)
10.1 KB16 views