Old 16-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Printing Images

I've been down the local BigW to print a couple of images and I've done it before and know they come out dark so I normally brighten them up before printing using the kiosk terminal software.

Why do I need to brighten them? When I submit them to print the on screen image looks washed out and the print looks nothing like the on screen image, it's much darker. Should I be using another technique? I normally just take a tiff on a stick straight out of photoshop.

I only have a B&W laser printer here. BigW charge about $4 for an 8x12 print.
Old 16-06-2012, 04:14 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Robin,

To get accurate results from printing you really need a profile for the combination of printer, inks and paper that you are using. If you're using a pro lab to do your printing then they may be able to provide this. It's also possible to derive a profile by printing test sheets and then using a spectrophotometer and software to measure and create it. Printing and colour management isn't hugely complicated, but it's not trivially simple either.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-06-2012, 03:53 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I've been down the local BigW to print a couple of images and I've done it before and know they come out dark so I normally brighten them up before printing using the kiosk terminal software.

Why do I need to brighten them? When I submit them to print the on screen image looks washed out and the print looks nothing like the on screen image, it's much darker. Should I be using another technique? I normally just take a tiff on a stick straight out of photoshop.

I only have a B&W laser printer here. BigW charge about $4 for an 8x12 print.

Hi Robin,

Its possible that your screen isn't calibrated. What colour space are you using in PS and what type of Display? you should be able to download drivers for almost all lcd's, and if available, icm profiles for your display so the display is calibrated. Download the advanced drivers for your display card, they'll have utilities for colour adjustment like temp, bias, etc.
Also try opening it in another software, does it look the same as in PS or try different monitor if possible?
I've printed an image of mine in BigW and it came out very close to what it was on screen . if it still looks the same, then maybe the BigW printers aren't calibrated. you'd have to try another vendor. Those machines are usually well calibrated and are quite sophisticated. But it depends on the vendor. If you print a pic taken with your slr, does it look natural? I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Rick, I doubt the teenagers at BigW will know about this stuff and I definitively don't have a spectrophotometer

Al, I got hold of a copy of the samsung monitor calibration software and it has brightened the screen up and maybe I now see a little more red in some images.

I'm sure there's still a kodak shop at the local Westfield, I'll see if their printer gives a different result.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Our local dedicated camera shop and photo lab closed at some point in the last two months. It is a pity as they always made sure that they produced quality prints for me.

Anyway....

Big W had a good deal recently. 11" x 14" glossy or matt prints for $1 each. They are now the only local lab. I decided to get some prints of my best ToV shots.

I hung around to make sure that the prints came out ok. The photos ended up with fingerprints and a kink from the operator. The colour was a bit off as well. Not really worried, only a few dollars spent.

I got some more printed the next day and had to ask the new operator to please not touch the glossy finish and avoid putting kinks in the paper. This time the colour was correct and the operator wore cloth gloves.

Quality might be a little hit and miss but Big W is it for the moment.