Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

M31 from 37.6 degrees south

Took this on Monday night from the outer fringe of Melbourne, Bortle 4 skies.
I reckon I picked the coldest and dewiest night this week, my equipment was saturated by the time I gave it away at about 1.30am Tuesday. The galaxy was that low my scope was horizontal while tracking it as it brushed the trees in the distance. I only got 35mins worth of a combination of 3 min guided and 90secs unguided. I couldn't get Phd2 to lock on the guide star properly due I guess to the turbulence associated with shooting something that low near the horizon.

Consequently, I had to stretch this a fair bit to get some detail out of it but from where I captured it and the short integration time, I don't think it's too bad. I've captured this before from Bortle 3 skies an hours drive north of Melbourne from a high ridge I frequent occasionally, so this is a first for me from lower ground this far south.

Equipment used: Modded Canon 550d with UVIR cut filter connected to a SW Esprit 100 on an HEQ5pro mount. 35 minutes of 180 and 90 seconds at 800 iso. 3 min subs autoguided with Phd2 using a ZWO ASI120mm through a 50mm mini guidescope and one frozen operator!

P.S. I had some data I took back in 2017 using the same scope and a little further north at 37.3 degrees south. I've added it to Monday's data and this is what I got. A little more than 60 mins total integration now, I think has made an improvement . The last shot was taken with a Canon G12 compact camera mounted on a tripod to show the near horzontal position of the OTA while capturing this object.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (35minAndromeda.jpg)
200.6 KB554 views
Click for full-size image (M31_2017_2019.jpg)
204.5 KB576 views
Click for full-size image (CapturingM31.jpg)
197.2 KB406 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 13-10-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added new photo and text
Old 04-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

That's a pretty good M31 from down Melbourne way, fine effort. Would have to be pleased with it. It's low enough from here at 34 deg. Sth.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Jeff, it was the best I could do under these conditions apart from taking more subs and a clearer north horizon. Trees prevented me from capturing more data but I was kind of glad in a way, my feet and hands were getting quite numb with the cold. By that stage I was happy to pack everything away and drive back to a nice warm bed for a 3 hr sleep before getting up for work.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

That’s an impressive M31
Well done !!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:22 PM
casstony

Such an impressive looking object - well worth chasing.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Well done Mick, the hunt for Andromeda is on, I just need to build a tower in my back yard to see it
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
That’s an impressive M31
Well done !!
Thanks Martin, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Such an impressive looking object - well worth chasing.
This is a tough one from down Melbourne way but if you manage to find a location where you can photograph it, it's always worth a try Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
Well done Mick, the hunt for Andromeda is on, I just need to build a tower in my back yard to see it
Well Tony you're better placed to have a crack at than me, so rather than building that tower take your rig somewhere facing north, flat and free of obstructions. I'd love to see what you might achieve on it.

Last edited by Mickoid; 05-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The 2nd image , with the added data, is a more pleasing balance of detail and colour. Still a great effort to image Andromeda from down south.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Very nice Mick. And I'm thinking it will be hard from Sydney ...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Very nice Mick. And I'm thinking it will be hard from Sydney ...
Thanks Chris. You will need to go somewhere with a clear northerly view preferably right down to the horizon. Even from where I shot this distant trees hid the object for a while, so it wasn't ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
The 2nd image , with the added data, is a more pleasing balance of detail and colour. Still a great effort to image Andromeda from down south.
Thanks Jeff, fortunately I was using the Esprit 100 on both occasions but the orientation of the galaxy was different so there was a bit of rotating and alignment to perform in PS. I had lost the subs from 2017 and only had a final .jpg of it.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

The extra data made a significant improvement Mick. I like the idea of moving my rig to a more favorable site.
The EQ6-R is a bit of a beast for field work but I guess it could be done, watch this space
Tony
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Thanks Chris. You will need to go somewhere with a clear northerly view preferably right down to the horizon. Even from where I shot this distant trees hid the object for a while, so it wasn't ideal.
I've got a great park near home which is on the edge of a north facing ridge that drops off to national Park. Nearest lights are Gosford 40kms away. At what altitude did yours subs start to get crappy? Just wondering how much I can get in a night.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I've got a great park near home which is on the edge of a north facing ridge that drops off to national Park. Nearest lights are Gosford 40kms away. At what altitude did yours subs start to get crappy? Just wondering how much I can get in a night.
Chris, it never rose more than about 10 degrees and I reckon it would be visible for about 2-3 hrs but by the time it is at 5 degrees and lower, in the haze makes it not worth photographing. If not for some trees, I think I could have got a little over an hour of useable data on it. You being further north, should achieve a little longer than that. Best to get on one of those free online planetarium programs. Type in your location, latitude and longitude and the time you'd be observing. Move the view to face north so you can simulate the path of M31 across the sky. You'll get an idea of how long it remains at a useful altitude to photograph from where you're set up.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Mick,
This is a spectacular galaxy and my favourite image. I remember my mum buying me a book on space by Patrick Moore to keep me occupied on the long road trip to Queensland when I was just 10. The Andromeda was on the first page and got me hooked on the universe. Your capture reminds me of this memory and it’s a beauty! Nicely framed, that Esprit 100 is perfect for this galaxy. The combination of data has made it more attractive bringing colour to the fore and a deeper image. I’m very impressed- well done Mick.

Anthony
Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Anthony, I'm glad it has brought back some nice memories for you. I guess everyone has that special memory of what got us interested in astronomy. Mine was an interest in photography and the quest to capture a picture of Halley's Comet, from then on it was hard not to keep looking up at the stars.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Very nice Mick. It looks like you've maximised every minute on this one!
P.S. I'm so over dewy nights.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

10 degrees. Glad I'm in Sydney then - I'll get it to a soaring 15 degrees altitude, nearly. Thanks again for sharing your pic - excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Chris, it never rose more than about 10 degrees and I reckon it would be visible for about 2-3 hrs but by the time it is at 5 degrees and lower, in the haze makes it not worth photographing. If not for some trees, I think I could have got a little over an hour of useable data on it. You being further north, should achieve a little longer than that. Best to get on one of those free online planetarium programs. Type in your location, latitude and longitude and the time you'd be observing. Move the view to face north so you can simulate the path of M31 across the sky. You'll get an idea of how long it remains at a useful altitude to photograph from where you're set up.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM
casstony

Your image has me looking for places out of town Mick. I'd be prepared to lug the gear and sit for a couple of hours to image M31.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Go for it Tony! I'm actually surprised you hadn't already had a go at this with all the other great shots of low northern objects you've been posting. If you can take advantage of a clear location with darker skies, you should be able to wrap this one up nicely. You may be further south but only just and if sucessful, you can claim the prize of " Most Southerly Photo of M31" award.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Excellent image. As I have always said Victorians are something special...they deliver...I was born in Melbourne...there is probably a sign somewhere...
Well done.
Try M33 ..you must deliver ..Victorian pride is on the line.
Alex