Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Timebow (Tim)

Wifi telescopes, good or not so good?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am looking to purchase my first telescope and am interested in the computerised telescopes that are available.
My budget is around ($500-$700) but wanted to get some advice on whether the wifi telescope is the way to go or if I will get something of better quality for my budget that's not computerised.
I am currently looking at the CELESTRON ASTRO FI 130 MM NEWTONIAN TELESCOPE.

Any advice is much appreciated, Cheers.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Wavytone

Question for you - what do you want wifi for ?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 PM
doppler (Rick)

Just googled that scope, looks like there is no handset supplied so the phone app is the controller?

That scope is ok...ish, probably a tad small, you would be more satisfied with an 8" or 10" dob for that price.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product-ca...pes/dobsonian/

Rick
Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Timebow (Tim)

You download an app on your phone or tablet which connects to the telescope and allows you to select what it is you want to look at and the telescope automatically locates it, its a computerised telescope.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Timebow (Tim)

Thanks Doppler,

That is the other scope I am looking at.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Tim,

And welcome to IIS!

The scope you're looking at is likely intended for entertainment. It has enough aperture to show the rings of Saturn, Jupiters cloud bands and all of the brightest nebulae - the Moon included.

It can track these objects so no manual intervention is required and what you see is what others will see when you step aside from the eyepiece (earth moves quite fast when looking at it magnified). The mobile app is probably pretty cool, especially if you have a tablet. I recon it makes for a great party feature.

The two eyepieces that come with it will give you a good range. You can beef it up with a Barlow lens if you feel the need. A premium widefield eyepiece would make this quite a nice assembly for tours of the night sky.

There is nothing wrong with this scope. That same money might buy you a fully manual Dobsonian of nearly twice the aperture, which weighs more and means you have to search for objects the "analogue way". But it will show you more and brighter and more detailed images. That's the trade you have to make.

I reckon you should go for it. If you get hooked, it won't be the last scope you buy and $700 is not a lot in this hobby. If you get bored with time, I am sure you'll get it sold without too much loss for all the gimmicks and WiFi stuff is what gets us guys interested in the first place

Clear skies!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Timebow (Tim)

Thanks Max,

I'm definitely looking for the more clearer and detailed alternative as appossed to ease of locating abjects using the app.
This was my concern that I would be sacrificing some quality for technology that I don't really need.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 AM
Malcolm

I have a 10" GOTO dob with a Nexus-S wifi module. SkySafari 5 Pro completes the package. Maybe look around for a second hand GOTO dob.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 AM
bojan
amateur

I would go for the biggest manual Dob the $799 can buy..
The automation, motorization, remote operation etc. is relatively easy and not expensive to add later, if you are handyman....
Old 09-10-2017, 01:30 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Timebow.

I am still starting off but have a few scopes, both computerised and manual.

I would recommend from experience a GOTO dobbie if you can afford it as the way to go. You can manually use it if you want to as well and the simplicity when starting off helps greatly. There is already a learning curve in this hobby when starting off

In terms of wifi, I wouldn't worry too much at the start. You need to fiddle and align more stuff.

An experience came to mind was when I was out in Warburton with another guy who had a Celestron Wifi 8inch scope. I think he spent a large part of the night trying to pair the wifi with his phone - it wouldn't play nice. Ended using it manually to point to things.

Whatever you choose, I would say just enjoy the learning and journey
Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Timebow (Tim)

Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Timebow,

Tell us how you go and what you choose.

If you have other questions, i am happy if you pm me.

Regards,

Mel