Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 PM
poider (Peter)

tracking on a cloudy night

I don't know if this would work or not, but I just thought that if we have clouds and want to test our polar alignment, we could connect a smartphone with planetarium running to the tracker, and then centre a prominent star, and just see how much it moves through the field of view on the phone's planetarium, Is that plausible?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Wavytone

So why haven’t you tried it ? Would work just as well without the clouds...
Old 09-08-2019, 12:16 AM
poider (Peter)

we currently have gale force winds and pouring rain so not going outside tonight.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poider View Post
we currently have gale force winds and pouring rain so not going outside tonight.
You can do it inside house as well...
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 AM
poider (Peter)

GPS and I phone compasses are not as reliable inside, I get differing readings from all apps when in the house.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 AM
bojan
amateur

It doesn't matter if there is differences in reading from inside and outside, it is about familiarising with and testing the whole system, and it can be done in daylight as well.

I would recommend to you (and any other begginer) not to rely on technology too much - it is distraction from enjoyment of clear skies (unless technology is your thing... ). Also, it is not needed for good understanding of celestial geometry (astrometry) anyway..
Old 09-08-2019, 10:37 AM
poider (Peter)

I am not too reliant on tech, but it seems the easy way if I am going to go to any other location. Can’t always be getting to location at high noon and marking out ground etc
Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Plausible? I think it would be. I guess it would be a slight variation on drift aligning.

My only worry is that the accuracy of the phone might not be enough to get a tight alignment.

You could however use the phone to get you within the right area, if you are close enough then you should get a minute or more with short focal length lenses, you would also have a good foundation to start a more accurate alignment routine using something like Sharpcap and a guide camera.

I think the best answer to the question will be testing it out.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:38 PM
poider (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icearcher View Post
Plausible? I think it would be. I guess it would be a slight variation on drift aligning.

My only worry is that the accuracy of the phone might not be enough to get a tight alignment.

You could however use the phone to get you within the right area, if you are close enough then you should get a minute or more with short focal length lenses, you would also have a good foundation to start a more accurate alignment routine using something like Sharpcap and a guide camera.

I think the best answer to the question will be testing it out.
As soon as I get a good sunny day, on the weekend, when I am home at solar
noon I will mark it all out more accurately, but until then I will go outside as long its not raining and try a few different things.