Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 22-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I knew it! I just knew it! that bloody little AM 0738-692 causing disturbances again! it comes poncing in, runs a few rings around a larger galaxy, who is just trying to meander out quietly with the expansion of the Universe, minding its own business...and then the blighter leaves after lifting the skirt of the big galaxy, just for laughs. Sheesh.. annoying little bugger

That was the best-ever summary of intergalactic relations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
There are so many good things happening in this image MnT. Wonderfully detailed galaxies well processed with lots of interesting technicalities to ponder

Thanks Rodney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Looks great M&T, Very cobra like - top stuff!

Thanks Andy. Aye, we'd prefer that it's a cobra rather than a rampant rearing slug for example.
Old 22-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Paul Haese

Nice image Mike, I like your colour balance on this object. When I did this quite a few years back now I kept the galaxy more blue and perhaps should reconsider processing that data again to adjust the colour more in line with this.

Something you might consider is lightening the background as I found there what appears to be a fairly sizeable halo around the galaxy. It might be cirrus but from what I can tell off my image it looks like a halo.
Old 22-01-2021, 10:08 AM
JA

That's a wonderful image M&T
The full-frame really shows the vastness and blackness of space.

Best
JA
Old 22-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nice image Mike, I like your colour balance on this object. When I did this quite a few years back now I kept the galaxy more blue and perhaps should reconsider processing that data again to adjust the colour more in line with this.

Something you might consider is lightening the background as I found there what appears to be a fairly sizeable halo around the galaxy. It might be cirrus but from what I can tell off my image it looks like a halo.
Thanks Paul.

We have what looks very like a tidally disrupted halo in exactly the same place as in your image, but there is also a great deal of quite separate cirrus, also (mostly) in the same place as in your image. It's not bad flats for example if we've both photographed the same thing, and some mixture of halo and unrelated cirrus is the most likely guess. But as you can see, our image starts growing a snout and whiskers, pretty ratty if we push it that hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Halo and cirrus.JPG)
155.0 KB7 views
Old 22-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
That's a wonderful image M&T
The full-frame really shows the vastness and blackness of space.

Best
JA
Thanks J. Your comment is very appropriate in the light of Paul's observation about haloes and cirrus!
Old 22-01-2021, 06:09 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Thanks Paul.

We have what looks very like a tidally disrupted halo in exactly the same place as in your image, but there is also a great deal of quite separate cirrus, also (mostly) in the same place as in your image. It's not bad flats for example if we've both photographed the same thing, and some mixture of halo and unrelated cirrus is the most likely guess. But as you can see, our image starts growing a snout and whiskers, pretty ratty if we push it that hard.
To confirm, it is useful to compare to amplified shots from the UKST

Mike
Old 22-01-2021, 09:32 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
To confirm, it is useful to compare to amplified shots from the UKST

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's most helpful. The faint stuff near the galaxy looks broadly similar in all three.