ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 PM
HenryNZ

PoleMaster - what accuracy are you getting?

I purchased the PoleMaster as my mount is on a wooden pier which shifts from time to time, and I wanted some quick way to (a) check the alignment and (b) correct and shift in PA with time. I have had a chance to try PoleMaster last couple of nights and I found that after using PoleMaster the alignment is actually worse than before it was used. At the end I had to drift align again to bring the PA back to a usable state. So I am a bit disappointed. I think it will still be a good tool for quick alignment for portable set up or as a prelude to drift alignment, but I suspect it won't completely replace drift alignment.

Having said that when I emailed Qiu from QHY about it, he said that people in Northern hemisphere are regularly getting sub-arc min alignment accuracy. He thought it might be that the routine is not well refined yet for Southern hemisphere.

What has been your experience?
Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 PM
garymck (Gary)

I can't quantify my results, but at 2 different sites, and with 2 different scopes, I have obtained the best polar alignments I've ever had...

One scope was a portable, the other an observatory mounted G11. I had previously spent 4 hours drift aligning the G11, Polemaster showed an error - not large but still an error. I corrected this, and have achieved the best guiding I've ever had.

Have turned on refraction correction in the Polemaster software - this may make a difference..

cheers
Gary
Old 10-03-2016, 02:56 PM
bojan
amateur

It seems that PoleMaster software works only with PoleMaster hardware.. and that hardware is just USB camera with some specific ID that enables PoleMaster software.

Is there equivalent application, that will worlk with any camera?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 PM
HenryNZ

I have tried to use refraction correction but does not seem to help. May be I should check the installation again. Also when using refraction correction, I presume you just put in the numerical part of latitude (e.g. 37 for 37 South; rather than -37) -- not that it will accept a negative number anyway.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:39 PM
garymck (Gary)

yes just use the number of your latitude, the sign is irrelevant.

cheers
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryNZ View Post
I have tried to use refraction correction but does not seem to help. May be I should check the installation again. Also when using refraction correction, I presume you just put in the numerical part of latitude (e.g. 37 for 37 South; rather than -37) -- not that it will accept a negative number anyway.
Old 21-04-2016, 03:09 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
I can't quantify my results, but at 2 different sites, and with 2 different scopes, I have obtained the best polar alignments I've ever had...
Gary
I will second that - I used mine last night for the first time, I have never had such stable guiding. I have a portable(ish - its a G11) setup and normally just carry and plonk it on a marked position from which I had drift aligned previously. Polemaster showed me how just how inaccurate this approach was and the coarse error correction was made very quickly. The fine adjustment was easy as well. Very happy. I will use this each session now as it is so fast to do and gives you positive, visual confirmation that you are aligned or, if not, how far off you are, drift takes much longer and requires interpretation, iteration and basically is a pita (but if I had a permanent setup I would still use it). I also have refraction correction turned on.
Old 21-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

What adapter do you need for a G-11?

H
Old 21-04-2016, 04:48 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

G11 Polemaster adapter

Hi H,

I got mine via Gamma Electronics...just specified it was for use with a G11 and Theo sorted out the ordering. The ccd came through quickly but there was a couple of weeks delay in the delivery of the G11 adapter. I believe the adapters are shipping ok now.

John
Old 21-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks, John.

I was looking at Theo's site but couldn't see the G-11 adapter listed on the PoleMaster pages.

I'll try and offload a few things I'm not using and see if I can't get one of these. I currently use PEMPro and love it, but, this looks to be a far quicker solution!

H
Old 21-04-2016, 07:33 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

I’m a self confessed Polar Alignment nuff nuff. Only after considerable effort with my semi permanent set-up do I get really good polar alignment. My inability to readily achieve polar alignment limits the times I would consider taking my rig to a dark sky site, as I would usually spend far too much time trying to polar align.

Having tried a few previous trick and tools including EQAlign, AlignMaster, Drift Alignment and the PHD2 Alignment tool, my better half presented me (after my suggestion) with a PoleMaster for my recent 50th.

Having only used the device once, I can’t believe how easy it was to achieve the best alignment I have ever achieved, all in under 20 minutes from unboxing, software installation to completion.

I’m actually looking forward to practicing polar alignment on my travel rig, and I’ve just ordered the new adapter from Cyclops Optics to use PoleMaster with a Polarie. I think a very good polar alignment with this device in 5~10 minutes is easily achievable.

I haven’t yet looked at the refraction correction in great detail, but the device is simple to install and use. Once the software is used once, it is also very intuitive and easy to use, and no doubt the software is calibrated to the field of view of the camera.

I'm not sure how to exactly calculate my residual polar alignment error, but whilst guiding with MaxIM DL @ 432mm fl, my 2 second corrections in X and Y are around 0.01 to 0.1 .... whatever that means

Overall, one of my best Astro purchases to-date .... and there's been lot of them
Old 21-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

That is very promising, Paul. I'm about to begin work constructing my observatory and this has me excited.

How much was the adapter for the Polarie?

H
Old 22-04-2016, 01:51 AM
Exfso (Peter)

OK People, how much are these in AUD? I have a G11...

Edit, just found out $446 from Gama electronics with 1 adapter plus $15 postage.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Been communicating with Theo, he is really most helpful. A treat to deal with..
Old 04-05-2016, 05:39 AM
HenryNZ

A repost from CN:

I could not seem to get good polar alignment with pole master.

I am using PoleMaster at 36S (New Zealand) in Southern Hemisphere.

I followed the procedure to the letter, and at the end I could see the red and green circle overlap and stay so for a long time.

However, when I used PHD at my target and with DEC guiding turned off, PHD showed clear DEC drift amounting to about 3-5 arc min error.

Since then I have done more tests. I found that after having completed the procedure, an immediate re-test will always show more error. And if I "fix" the error, a further re-test will again show error but in the opposite direction. So the error oscillated between two points.

I also found that rough and fine alignment often do not agree curiously. Say if I have to move sigma octantis (the southern pole star) in the 8 o'clock direction into the green circle on rough align, I often have to move the green circle in the 2 o'clock direction to make it align with the red circle during fine alignment, basically undoing the changes make in the rough alignment step.

I have tried to skip the rough alignment step and just do the fine alignment, but the results are still inconsistent.

I am not sure if I have done something wrong? Have you been getting better results (as verified by DEC drift testing)? If so, are there any tips to achieve that? In particular I like to hear someone from Southern Hemisphere for I suspect it may have something to do with inaccuracy of the Southern Hemisphere "template"...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:38 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi Henry,

regarding accuracy:

On my observatory mounted G11 using Polemaster I can say that dec drift is almost non existent - can't recall the figures (and can't check because weather is crap), but the dec drift line is flat for at least 3-4 minutes from memory.

However, on my portable scope - a wedge mounted CPC, I have found a bit of variability - this seems not to be related to Polemaster inaccuracy, but rather a bit of sag in the forks causing a bit of error in the alignment process. I have also found that setting up on damp, soft ground can change alignment over a period of a couple of hours as the tripod sinks into the ground a bit !!!

My other portable, an AZEQ6 has only been aligned so far on hard, dry ground, and polar alignment is as good as in the observatory.

So I'd say that alignment is only as good as the mount, and the ground the mount sits on.

I've been very happy - I'm at -38 lat.

PS - have you posted a query on the QHY forum directly?

cheers
Gary
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 AM
HenryNZ

Hi Gary
Do you have the USB port facing left as per instruction or facing right? Do you use refraction correction? What version of the software are you using? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryNZ View Post
Hi Gary
Do you have the USB port facing left as per instruction or facing right? Do you use refraction correction? What version of the software are you using? Thanks.
Henry,

put cable on the right, use refraction correction, v 1.30 - just saw there is a V1.31 available!

cheers
Gary
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 AM
HenryNZ

Currently I have the USB on the left when facing the camera. I will try it facing right. I hope this will fix the problem. The routine is elegant and I really don't see why the results should oscillate between two locations unless some setup is wrong. I also have my mount on a pier but the pier is only wooden and I want some quick way to check PA after prolonged period of inactivity.

Just to be absolutely sure, you have the USB port on the right when you are facing the camera, contrary to the manual right?

Funny thing is, I actually helped Qiu with the latest update with the English manual but because I could not get good results I have not been able to include some good screenshots for him.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM
garymck (Gary)

[QU

Just to be absolutely sure, you have the USB port on the right when you are facing the camera, contrary to the manual right?

Funny thing is, I actually helped Qiu with the latest update with the English manual but because I could not get good results I have not been able to include some good screenshots for him.[/QUOTE]

Henry, as you face the mount/polemaster, the usb connector is on the right.... I did this since I figured it would be opposite of northern hemisphere!! Maybe I just fluked it !!
cheers
Gary
Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 PM
HenryNZ

Thanks Gary. I tried it again tonight with the USB on the right, and the result is much much much better. Thanks!