Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Entropy

STL11000M to FSQ106EDXIII

Hey Everyone,

So I finally made the plunge and purchased a CCD. Haven't picked it up yet but would really like to pick it up and plug it straight in to my telescope.

I have been doing some research on how to hook it up and the Takahashi System Chart suggests that I should just be able to replace my DSLR with the CCD but then I have seen other Tak parts (TCD0017)that cost around $200, that are different to the CA35 or T-Ring adaptor.

Does anyone know how this arrangement works? There is no reducer/extender involved at this stage.

Thanks for your help.
Old 14-05-2016, 01:19 PM
gregbradley

There is a specific Tak 106 to STL adapter. You could ask on the Tak Uncensored Yahoo Group. Its quite well known.

FSQ106ED does not need any flatteners as the Petsval optics are very flat indeed and also have a huge corrected illuminated circle.

Good choice, the STL11 and the FSQ match together beautifully. I imaged with that setup for a while and its very good match.

Processing wise - it would be good to learn how to do drizzle in Pixinsight as STL11/FSQ is something like 3.4 arc/secs per pixel which is quite undersampled and on pixel peeping you will see small stars tend to be a bit squarish. Drizzle handles that. Rick S is the expert on that plus there are tutorials on the net about how to do drizzle integration.

The Tak 106ED 111 is one of the all time great scopes. The FSQ130 is about to arrive and could be even better but its 2.5X the price.

Here we go, I found it for you: Feldstein #6 adapter. Have a look at this chart it will make it more clear what you need. I would double check the Feldstein #6 adapter attaches to the CA35 rotator first.

http://www.takahashiamerica.com/charts/fsqchart.pdf

Greg
Old 14-05-2016, 02:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have a similar issue with a QHY8 osc on an FSQ106N. At 3.04 asp my guiding + seeing is sub pixel so I have to bayer drizzle. In the past I've use PixInsight CFA2RGB module but that stopped working in the latest version.I've downloaded the latest plugin and I'm playing with it this week-end. As soon as I've figured it out (or remembered out to do it) I'll make sure I post a processing flow here.
Old 14-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Drizzle integration is quite simple in PixInsight. You just need to tick an extra box (create drizzle files) when using StarAlignment tool, and also one extra box (also to do with drizzle) in ImageIntegration tool. After that you can use DrizzleIntegration tool and it works very nicely with recovering some lost information due to undersampling. Drizzle seems to also reduce noise which is a bonus.
Old 14-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Entropy

Thanks for all your help guys,

Looks like the learning curve will be a bit steeper than I originally thought. That's okay though, I am looking forward to it, just wasn't expecting the extra $300 in adaptors to hook it up.
Thank you, Greg, for the link to that system chart. That shows much more detail than the system chart that I had and answers my questions. Well all except one of the adaptors I have in my current imaging setup. Something between the CA35 and the Coupling Ring. System chart suggests it's a vari-ring but also lists it as an 'optical item' which it is definitely not (No glass, just an adaptor).

I'll have a look around PI for drizzle integration as well, I had heard that the scope and camera were a great combo but was confused why the pixel scale was so large.

Thanks again
Old 16-05-2016, 09:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Drizzle integration is quite simple in PixInsight. You just need to tick an extra box (create drizzle files) when using StarAlignment tool, and also one extra box (also to do with drizzle) in ImageIntegration tool. After that you can use DrizzleIntegration tool and it works very nicely with recovering some lost information due to undersampling. Drizzle seems to also reduce noise which is a bonus.
Agreed Drizzle integration is a no brainer in PI. Bayer Drizzling is a totally different beast.