Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Observing with an original 6" f8 Newtonian

To show the kids (and other interested amateurs) what things were like when I started back in the early 60's I've re-build my original 6" f8 (Wildey mirror).
http://www.hampstead...wildey_2003.pdf
What I'd really like to be able to do is to demonstrate the views with the original eyepieces v's todays eyepieces.
The eyepieces I had were from Charles Frank in Glasgow. The favourite was a 1.25" fitting, 1/2" Ramsden in a solid brass body.
If anyone knows where a similar eyepiece can be found - let me know.
I think it will be very interesting to see the reactions from observers.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 PM
sharpiel

Very keen to see pics here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
To show the kids (and other interested amateurs) what things were like when I started back in the early 60's I've re-build my original 6" f8 (Wildey mirror).
http://www.hampstead...wildey_2003.pdf
What I'd really like to be able to do is to demonstrate the views with the original eyepieces v's todays eyepieces.
The eyepieces I had were from Charles Frank in Glasgow. The favourite was a 1.25" fitting, 1/2" Ramsden in a solid brass body.
If anyone knows where a similar eyepiece can be found - let me know.
I think it will be very interesting to see the reactions from observers.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Visionary (David)

Ken,
A small tear came to my eye reading Wildey passage. It was the same last night as I watched a brilliant documentary on Dobson making a telescope. Dobson was incredibly hands on "mucking in" the same way as Wildey did in pressing a Barrage Balloon into service as a roof for his dome.
My father is 97 his world is different to our world, his world runs differently. Dad isn't "soft" is just that men of his generation like Dobson & Wildey. These menare different too us... They passed through the Depression, ferocious trade unionism, WWII, reconstruction and boom. It was a markedly different experience. I never tire of learning more about my Fathers generation. I just wish they could all stay with us a little longer.
Obviously I enjoyed reading the piece on Widely, thanks for posting.
David

Last edited by Visionary; 12-04-2015 at 11:32 PM.