Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 26-02-2021, 04:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Snake deterrent.

Read my snake encounter just now, in the Health insurance thread, to understand why I ask the following question.
What can you do to drive snakes away...do you have any proven method...
The weather has produced plenty of food for them and so they are probably in plague quantities like the mice and frogs...maybe I should get some cats?
Alex
Old 26-02-2021, 04:19 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
...maybe I should get some cats?
Alex
Only if you don’t like cats very much! Food supply = snakes I’m afraid. I always maintain clear open spaces where I can, don’t allow plants, trees, bushes to grow so their foliage is close to the ground providing shelter, habitat for food and snakes, no rock walls with big attractive holes, hollow logs etc. Check your downpipes and eaves for snake access to roofing spaces and fill gaps with chicken wire balls. Don’t try to deal with venomous snakes by yourself. And get a snake catching stick to safely handle carpet snakes and the like. If unsure what that is, PM me.

Geese are good snake alarms by the way!

Peter
Old 26-02-2021, 04:28 PM
AdamJL

^ good advice!

Or get a ferret

Also, don't leave old boots etc outside. And funnily enough, if you're active outside your house, the vibrations might be enough to tell snakes in the area not to come close.
Old 26-02-2021, 05:41 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

I know someone who uses these and they say it works but im not sure.

https://www.sureguard.com.au/page/sn...ureguard-brand
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (product_images_113.jpg)
184.8 KB64 views
Old 27-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Huey (Michael)

Snake repellers

These products are an absolute waste of money. They don't work!
I keep snakes and have done so for approx. 30 years. I've got one of these repellers from the company. They asked me to test it and write a favourable report about it. I did test it. The favourable report is still coming.
I put a device in one of m cages and the snake curled around it, even when it was on. Tried it with different snake species always with the same result, they don't care about it.
Don't waste your money, buy yourself your favorite beverage and clean up the yard. No corrugated iron, pipes, wood piles etc. Snakes don't like clean areas!
If you see one, leave it alone and it will most likely go away, if not call a snake catcher or NPWS. Snakes are protected and killing them is illegal, so are unsupervised cats. They are classified as feral and I have removed more cats than snakes in my life time. Most of them have been disposed of permanently by the local pound. Snakes are usually relocated or given to licensed carers.

Just my 2 cents worth

Huey
Old 02-03-2021, 11:56 AM
drylander (Peter)

Definitely don't work on Aussie snakes. At the mates place last night and having a couple coldies when a brown slithered against the repeller and continued into the shed for its snack...mice. Apparently his Mrs thought they where a good idea but now feels ripped off. Maybe they work on chinese snakes?
Pete
Old 02-03-2021, 04:57 PM
Huey (Michael)

Repeller

Who said they didn't work? The snake moved on didn't it, just like the snake repeller said it would.

Huey
Old 02-03-2021, 05:00 PM
glend (Glen)

Not sure cats would be a deterrent, especially against a Python. A dog that barks might drive a snake off, but dogs have been known to be killed by snakes if they go after them. A dog might be ok for telling you one is there, wheras cats Don't bark. Little terrier type dogs are known for being bred for catching varmits, but you might lose a few.
I agree keeping a buffer strip around the house is a good idea, but it might just end up being treated as a beach by snakes sun baking. I had a large Eastern Brown sun baking on my driveway a couple years ago. I tried to run it over with my car but it quickly shot off into the Bush on the side, and I never saw it again. I was frankly surprised by how fast it moved. I can tell you nothing invokes paranoia better than seeing one and then have it disappear.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:50 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

The best thing is to keep grass short. Snakes don't like short grass - nowhere to hide from birds.

The same goes for clutter, if you can't keep it tidy keep it away from the house.

The vibrating lawn spikes don't work. My sister in law bought them only to find the snakes coiling up around them or on them. Our neighbour had a similar experience.

We have a lot of snakes here. Mostly copperheads. We have a couple of dams which are the ideal environment for frogs (obviously food for the snakes), and we have a lot of dry stone retaining walls, which are a good place for both snakes and frogs.

Snakes don't bother me too much, but Lyn seems like most people and doesn't like them (i.e. has an irrational fear of them), so usually if we see them, then the lawn is over due for a mow.

As unhelpful as it is, my personal attitude to snakes is "We are in Australia. Get used to it." They won't harm you if you leave them alone, and you can set things up to keep them out of your way.

Al.

Last edited by sheeny; 04-03-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-03-2021, 08:38 PM
gregbradley

Good advice.

I have noticed also snakes are covert creatures and don't like to be too exposed.

I have also been amazed at their ability to slither off into grass around 75mm to 100mm tall and not really show any movement in the grass itself.

When I have seen snakes they usually freeze at first or flee. Best to let them leave. Most get bitten trying to kill one.

After accidentally nicking a red belly black snake once with a whipper snipper I was shocked at how fast they can move when motivated. Way faster than humans.

Greg.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:41 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Not sure cats would be a deterrent, especially against a Python. A dog that barks might drive a snake off, but dogs have been known to be killed by snakes if they go after them. A dog might be ok for telling you one is there, wheras cats Don't bark. Little terrier type dogs are known for being bred for catching varmits, but you might lose a few.
I agree keeping a buffer strip around the house is a good idea, but it might just end up being treated as a beach by snakes sun baking. I had a large Eastern Brown sun baking on my driveway a couple years ago. I tried to run it over with my car but it quickly shot off into the Bush on the side, and I never saw it again. I was frankly surprised by how fast it moved. I can tell you nothing invokes paranoia better than seeing one and then have it disappear.
Not sure about barking dogs. I thought snakes had no hearing as such.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:42 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Not sure about barking dogs. I thought snakes had no hearing as such.
It's the vibrations, they feel, much like stomping your feet.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I can tell you nothing invokes paranoia better than seeing one and then have it disappear.

Stephen King material, right there.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Imme (Jon)

Find a wheelie bin cleaner that has phenyl in it (only a couple brands do) and spray it around liberally.

Cheap but very effective....they hate the smell.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Find a wheelie bin cleaner that has phenyl in it (only a couple brands do) and spray it around liberally.

Cheap but very effective....they hate the smell.

Yup - been doing that since moving to Canberra. We don't have browns, but the neighbours do.

I found phenyl is great too at stopping rabbits from digging. The minute they start, I pour either phenyl or cheap stanky floor disinfectant down and around their burrow. They don't come trying for at least 6 months.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Yup - been doing that since moving to Canberra. We don't have browns, but the neighbours do.

I found phenyl is great too at stopping rabbits from digging. The minute they start, I pour either phenyl or cheap stanky floor disinfectant down and around their burrow. They don't come trying for at least 6 months.
I wonder if that would work with cats too.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:08 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I wonder if that would work with cats too.
Pete, you're best off using pheline for cats....

Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Pete, you're best off using pheline for cats....

Old 04-03-2021, 02:29 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
If you see one, leave it alone and it will most likely go away, if not call a snake catcher or NPWS. Snakes are protected and killing them is illegal, so are unsupervised cats. They are classified as feral and I have removed more cats than snakes in my life time. Most of them have been disposed of permanently by the local pound. Snakes are usually relocated or given to licensed carers.

Just my 2 cents worth

Huey
Right on, Huey
Old 04-03-2021, 04:37 PM
JohnF (John)

ALEX, RED BELLIED BLACKS ARE CANABALS AND EAT OTHER SNAKES. THEY ARE RELICTANT TO BOTE, AND IF THEY DO ARE NOT USUALLY DEADLY. THEY WILL ,MAKE YOU SICK THOUGH. SO THESE WILL KEEP AWAY DEADLIER SNAKES. WHEN OUR CHILDREN WERE YOUNG, I PUT MY FOOT ON A RED BELLY TRYNG TO PIN IT BEHIND ITS HEAD. BUT GOT IT MID BODY, WAS ON CRuTCHES AT THAT TIME. IT Hit ME WITH ITS HEAD A COUPLE OF TIMES WITHOUT OPENING ITS MOUTH. THAT IS THEY WILL VERY RARELY BITE. AND THEY eaT ALL OTHerS UP TO THEIR own SIZE..