Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 16-02-2021, 11:24 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Forum (And main IIS website) formatting on large screens.

Bit of a first world problem, but having recently acquired a 32:10 format screen (for the home office, honest) I find that the main IIS website and the forum are fairly broken on wide format monitors.

I don't know if there is any simple change to style sheets that can be made to have the main centre section not scale beyond a certain number of columns? An example of what I mean is the snip from the Astrobin front page as displayed on my monitor.

I will understand completely if these monitors are just too uncommon currently to be bothered with dealing with it. Previously I used two monitors side by side for work but I had to take them back to the office last week (Just in time to work from home again) and wanted to buy something with a bit more flexibility positioning wise. Two large screens is a good way to get a sore neck as the main one HAS to be in front of you or your main view is split by the bezels, so the second is way off to one side and you have to really twist your neck to look at it. not great when your time is about 50/50 split between the two screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Other wide.jpg)
188.2 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (IIS wide.jpg)
216.4 KB40 views
Old 16-02-2021, 11:48 AM
AdamJL

I'll be honest, as the owner of an Ultrawide, I actually prefer having the entire screen filled, rather than centred. So for me, I like your second image
Old 16-02-2021, 12:24 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would actually prefer something in between, Astrobin is a little skinny for my taste, it was just the best example I could come up with quickly. Most of the time I like to see "Content" filling most of the width of a 16:9 format screen (With a bit of fat to ensure that it does not have to rearrange itself too much to fit on the occasional 4:3 screen that is still in circulation)

My reason for the wide format monitor is mostly to be able to run things side by side but without the bezel splitting the desktop in half. I don't know that I would have bought this meter wide monstosity for myself but I really do need the real estate for work, GIS programs are space hogs. The box was like a half sized coffin! But I might update my main desktop monitor sometime this year to a bit more sensibly sized, curved 32:10 or 32:9 monitor. So handy to have the remote desktop of two imaging machines on screen at once without having to compress the displays!