Old 25-01-2021, 02:40 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Archive all subs or just masters?

Am I doing it wrong when i archive alllll my subs for every target?

I'm starting to wonder how many TB of data I'm going to be using over the course of a year.

And.. maybe I should just nuke it all and save the masters and pixinsight projects? This would cut down my data storage by 95% or so. I suppose it lets me go back and re-stack if i find a magical cure for my image ills in the stack phase, but thats about it, right?
Old 25-01-2021, 02:46 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

If it is good data and the seeing was good then keep the calibrated subs and can everything else. You can always reprocess and in insight do it better down the road. You can also add to the data set and restack. Otherwise keep the processed pictures and can everything else. No point archiving dodgy data and keeping everything.
Old 25-01-2021, 04:19 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Overall, for this hobby expenses, disk space is cheap. Even if you had to buy a 6+ TB drive each year for keeping the data, it's probably around $200 per year.
Old 25-01-2021, 04:38 PM
glend (Glen)

First, I assume your talking about saving only the subs used to build a filter master, and not everything you shot, in that case then there maybe some merit, but saving Every thing you shoot, no. Based on my years of experience, I find that I never go back to sub level, i have reprocessed a few layer masters but that too is fairly rare. I should add that I do have TBs of storage, but my changing equipment profile means most of the old subs are irrelevant and do not match more recent files. I actually wonder why I bother keeping them.
There is a good chance you will upgrade your camera or scope over time, at which point old subs are meaningless anyway.
It would be interesting to know how many of the people in favour of saving everything, actually ever go back to that level.

Last edited by glend; 25-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 25-01-2021, 05:30 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Overall, for this hobby expenses, disk space is cheap. Even if you had to buy a 6+ TB drive each year for keeping the data, it's probably around $200 per year.
Agreed, but $200 is still $200 and there is a lot of metal and plastic in those things.
Old 25-01-2021, 07:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have started going through my old data sets. I am just deleting the early data though poorer scopes and with sometimes eggy stars or not quite nailed focus. But the data I am happy with I am doing a run through in APP to save calibrated light frames so if I feel inclined to go back and do processing over, I can just integrate what is there and not find myself doing the "What darks and flats went with that?" dance, so I can delete the old calibration frames and un-calibrated lights.

If I don't have calibration frames to match, out they go.
Old 25-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Do the math and work out how much space its actually eating up, most people do fairly long subs for deep space, however bright planets, yeah I could see that chewing up space fast,

e.g. taking 1 minute subs, with about 6 hours of usable imaging time is only 360 subs, with my camera that only ends up being about 8GB per night, or if you live in bloody paradise about 3TB per year, even less with longer subs, once you discard any bad subs that also gets lower, and any nights your not imaging makes it lower still.

If your concerned for best $/TB hit up sites like OCAU, it takes a while to get into there trade section, but people flog 2-3TB drives for quite cheap all the time