Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-02-2021, 11:30 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Extreme Winter Weather Causes U.S. Blackouts

I bet LP went down and a few amateur astronomers would have been out making the most of it.

Article here.
Old 18-02-2021, 02:40 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

For most in that area it will be too cold for them to enjoy the reduced light pollution. Many folks are in a tough spot, no power, frozen pipes and all of the challenges that flow on from those two miseries.

I have a work colleague who has now been without power since late Sunday night...
Old 18-02-2021, 02:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
For most in that area it will be too cold for them to enjoy the reduced light pollution. Many folks are in a tough spot, no power, frozen pipes and all of the challenges that flow on from those two miseries.

I have a work colleague who has now been without power since late Sunday night...
Yes I have heard some dreadful stories in the news. What has happened with the grid? Was it damaged by the cold or is it the supply that wasn't enough. I hear Texas is very big on renewables so wondering if that has anything to do with the power supply shortage.
Old 18-02-2021, 03:08 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Two big factors in my opinion...

#1 not much of any gear (regardless of type - green, fossil fuel, etc) were properly winterized...many pumps, pipes and related froze in the cold snap

#2 the Texas grid is not connected to the rest of the country’s grid. Number of reasons for this but most are related to avoiding regulation. National grid has many “costly” standards (like being winterized)...

So they are independent and will not be up and running until temperatures rise and repair can be made.
Old 18-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Two big factors in my opinion...

#1 not much of any gear (regardless of type - green, fossil fuel, etc) were properly winterized...many pumps, pipes and related froze in the cold snap

#2 the Texas grid is not connected to the rest of the country’s grid. Number of reasons for this but most are related to avoiding regulation. National grid has many “costly” standards (like being winterized)...

So they are independent and will not be up and running until temperatures rise and repair can be made.
yep, our daughter lives in Texas and they are in a mess.... the grid is failing under the load and her house is only getting power intermittently. The latest is that she now has to boil the reticulated water before any form of consumption. Apparently the water treatment plants have not had enough power to reliably clean up the water that they are providing (she is in New Braunfels).

There is also a critical shortage of pressure, presumably due to to burst mains, so households are not allowed to drip flush pipes to prevent ice formation. When they get back online there will likely be a huge cleanup of split pipes and water damaged houses. And of course the lack of water causes health hazards from non-functioning flush toilets.

Last edited by Shiraz; 18-02-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 22-02-2021, 03:03 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

I live in Texas at the McDonald Observatory. Our power was out for 3 days. We have back up generators for our critical systems but I do not have a generator. One of my neighbors shared the use of his with myself and others. After this, I am definitely going to get a generator! Some of you might remember me. I was at the QLD Astrofest in 2015, many fond memories of that event and my visit to Australia. Hope to visit again someday when travel is safe.

Joe Wheelock
Old 23-02-2021, 12:03 AM
Constant (David)

Not much coverage on the ABC, runs counter to the narrative