Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 20-05-2018, 02:30 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Kiwidome rotation automation

This maybe of interest to anyone out there with a Kiwidome that I have finally motorised and automated the rotation of mine. I'm not sure if anyone else has ?

Steps:

I replaced the existing dome wheels with 100mm inline skate wheels that I purchased off Ebay to improve the smoothness of the rotation.

Added some small caster wheels to the dome inner side to improve the dome centering is it could wonder a little.

Purchased an Explora-dome kit (tracks, motor and cog) from OPT.

I used several strips on aluminium from Bunnings which I mounted on the inside of the dome to which I would mount the track.

Once the dome was motorised I could change direction (polarity of the motor ) with a simple rocker switch purchsed from Jaycar. This was good for testing before the automation exercise. Some of the dome joins were cut in the form of a notch to mount the aluminium strip so that it was a constant distance from the dome.

Maxdome II was installed last weekend and is working well so far with Maxim DL including slaving to the telescope.

SGP is working however it doesnt center the telescope through the slit as well as Maxim DL.

I created a 24 sector circle in photoshop and printed onto an A4 label on the under side on the cog for the Maxdome sensor. This gives me 305 ticks per dome revolution with the 13rpm motor.

Cheers Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dome.jpg)
208.5 KB96 views
Click for full-size image (030C6957.jpg)
106.1 KB42 views

Last edited by DaveNZ; 22-05-2018 at 05:32 PM.