ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2018, 01:45 AM
raymo

how to retrieve pics from "photos" in W10.

When I transfer pics from my DSLR to my laptop they go into PHOTOS, and
I don't understand the system for changing the destination of the imported pics, and I can't find any way of retrieving one or all of them, and putting them on my desktop for instance. There is no right click 'send to'.
raymo
Old 27-10-2018, 07:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

In Photos main screen, top right are three dots like ...

Click it and it drops a selection tab. Click settings and at the top it offers Change destination folder.
Old 27-10-2018, 12:06 PM
raymo

Thank you so much Lewis, much appreciated.
raymo
Old 27-10-2018, 01:14 PM
raymo

Lewis, unfortunately I can find nothing in settings that suggests that I can change destination. All I seem to be able to do is add or remove source folders. What I have since discovered from my whiz kid grandson is that apparently the only way one can move images from PHOTOS is to copy and paste them one at a time, with the added risk that if you later delete the copy it also deletes the original. I've just tried it, and it does do that. The only problem is that I have hundreds of images I want to move.
raymo
Old 27-10-2018, 01:18 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
When I transfer pics from my DSLR to my laptop they go into PHOTOS, and
I don't understand the system for changing the destination of the imported pics, and I can't find any way of retrieving one or all of them, and putting them on my desktop for instance. There is no right click 'send to'.
raymo
Hi R,
I'm not sure if you use a USB cable to the camera, but if you do perhaps you could try simply using the SD card direct to the laptop SD slot (if it has one) or via a SD Card to USB adaptor. The SD card will then come up in Windows Explorer as a drive from which you can then simply select files to copy from the card and paste to whatever laptop location you prefer.

Best
JA
Old 27-10-2018, 01:39 PM
raymo

Thanks JA. None of my three laptops has an SD slot, but it looks like I'll
have to get an adaptor. B----y W10, nothing but problems.
raymo
Old 27-10-2018, 02:00 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Interesting Raymo, I set up photos to send files directly to an album on an external hard drive no problem
Old 27-10-2018, 02:19 PM
JA

Quote:
Thanks JA. None of my three laptops has an SD slot, but it looks like I'll
have to get an adaptor. B----y W10, nothing but problems.
raymo
Hi R,
It's going to sound like a silly question but, are you sure there's no SD card slot? They are very common on most laptops and sometimes especially on ASUS and HP laptops are almost hidden on the underside of the front edge. It wouldn't be inconceivable to miss it.

Best
JA
Old 27-10-2018, 03:39 PM
raymo

Because they usually have a little cover, I disregarded the appropriate sized aperture on the lower front, thinking it was for some feature that would be on a more expensive model. To cap it off I discovered that I had also sent the images elsewhere when importing from the camera, it just hadn't appeared when I tried to find it because the file was huge, and hadn't had time to finish importing.
DUH!!!!!!!!
Old 28-10-2018, 06:20 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Lewis, unfortunately I can find nothing in settings that suggests that I can change destination. All I seem to be able to do is add or remove source folders. What I have since discovered from my whiz kid grandson is that apparently the only way one can move images from PHOTOS is to copy and paste them one at a time, with the added risk that if you later delete the copy it also deletes the original. I've just tried it, and it does do that. The only problem is that I have hundreds of images I want to move.
raymo
when you have opened up setting you will see "sources" under that is add folder this is where you specify where you want them to go. but my solution is pin the folder 'my computer' to the task bar and then you can open it when ever you want and move pic or anything else around to were you want it.
Old 28-10-2018, 01:32 PM
raymo

Thanks Simon, I'll give it a go.
raymo
Old 28-10-2018, 05:57 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Ditch photo and use something that's infinitely better like irfanview or xnview...

I'm guessing that the photos app default stores images in your home directory's photo (might be called images) folder. You can probably change this default too in the windows registry, but it'd be a mess like the entire Windows operating system.

I don't have Windows 10 and have no plans to buy such crap, so can't be anymore specific I'm afraid.