Old 31-08-2018, 08:04 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Repurposing...

This was the 8F8 R/N Astrograph with wired spider I built a few years back but it was superseded by other projects. It got converted to an 8F6 with a replacement mirror a little while ago but still sat in the workshop unused. So it just got remounted in a DOB configuration. I may replace the wired spider as it's a fiddly thing to adjust and then sell the scope to fund another project to yet be decided. The new DOB base is on a ball bearing lazy susan table and the whole scope balances perfectly even with a 2" EP in the focusser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (8F6Dob.jpg)
151.2 KB48 views
Old 31-08-2018, 08:34 AM
bojan
amateur

Very nice project.
Perhaps you can motorize it (Bartels? ) to add a value...

Recently, after couple of years I activated my 10" F/5.6 dob (it is in Ballarat now), I wanted to get some Mars images (it worked OK after sorting out some electronics hickups, then clouds rolled in..).

It seems it is hard to get money out of those DIY projects regardless of how well they work - for whatever reason most people (especially novices and not handymen) want new, shiny over-engineered (and expensive) gadgets, that can be sold later with minimum financial loss - attitude which is acceptable for our consumer society in general, but... in those cases not very logical and not based on facts.

I think when I am gone, this telescope will go to some astro club, the chances of being used by somebody are better this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10_Newt_L.jpg)
199.4 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (MVI_0022_pipp.jpg)
7.0 KB34 views
Old 31-08-2018, 12:23 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Yeah, agreed. Technical gizmos seem more important than optical accuracy. It doesn't owe me much but better it goes out to get used. If it doesn't sell then it stays here till I maybe 'repurpose' it again. Motorizing it would cost more than it's worth but it might move through the Astro Society. It's a nice scope to use now so it might see some sky now and then, my big grab & go.

I've also got a new almost unused 80 F11, AZ tripod, EP's etc available almost as a give a way. Friend got reimbursed on an insurance claim and it's more than they will ever use. Been sitting boxed in his garage for 10 years or so untouched, it's just spotless. I checked it out and aligned the finder, three decent EP's included as well.