ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-10-2014, 05:03 PM
N1 (Mirko)

First Sight of Venus after Superior C.

Superior Conjunction of Venus occured at 19:30 EDT last night according to Calsky.org. Venus passed 1 degree from the centre of the solar disk.

I managed to see Venus today at 15:21 EDT at 1.2 degrees elongation. This observation came after several hours of trying today and a failed attempt yesterday. Success this afternoon came after the Venus-Sun axis became horizontal and allowed effective blocking of the solar disk by vertically arranged pieces of timber several metres away. Cloud had moved in by this time yesterday. The initial view was obtained through the 13 Nagler on the FS60 at the very edge of the FOV. Centering Venus at this mag would have included the entire solar disk in the FOV so extreme care was required. I wasn't taking any chances even though the sun itself was blocked. The scope was aimed using the Sun as a guide (Baader film filter was used for this), then the Sun blocked and the filter removed.

A better view was obtained through the 9mm Ortho at about 40x. The 5mm Hyperion showed the disk nicely, but the planet was very hard to track at this mag (I use a Manfrotto tripod and geared head). Contrast was very low.

Blocking the Sun with a solid object as far away from the scope as possible and aiming past it was again the best strategy. Other approaches such as long extensions of the dew shield, red cellophane filters or polarisers all failed if sunlight was able to reach the front element (besides being uncomfortably dangerous).

Did I say contrast was low. Once the setup was correct, Venus was still not easy to see despite a reasonably clear sky. This was a surprising difference to inferior conjunctions, when Venus was impossible to miss once the scope was aimed correctly, and elongations were similar.

I took some pics as well for documentation purposes and will put them here later.

Edit: Single shot added showing a full planetary disk less that a dregree from the solar limb. This gives an idea of the actual view. EP projection 9mm Ortho, cropped, contrast increased. By the time this was taken, thin high cloud had started to encroach (yet again).

Today's SOHO image suggests the observation was made through a streamer in the Solar Corona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (venus04cr.jpg)
106.9 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (soho 26 Oct 14.jpg)
77.0 KB29 views

Last edited by N1; 27-10-2014 at 12:00 AM.