Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Astro in the Hunter Valley

Hi folks, wifey is planning a Christmas holiday in the Hunter Valley.
Wondering how dark a sky you get there?
Is it worth packing the 'scope etc. for some AP?
I realise that it will be a first Quarter moon when we get there on the 22nd, leading up to Full moon on Jan 2nd, so a combination of RGB & Narrowband is do-able.
Anyone have experience in that region?
Cheers
Andy
Old 25-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Or just go full narrowband and forget the moon and any light pollution
Old 25-04-2017, 10:20 AM
glend (Glen)

Andy as i live nearby and frequent various dark sites i can give you an opinion. It depends. It depends on your actual location, as the Hunter Valley runs from above Scone right down to near the coast. Where are you thinking of staying?
Obviously you want to avoid major light sources, like Muswellbrook, and the power plants nearby. Operating open pit mines tend to be light sources. If your in the winery region it will be better, but i believe the best sky is probably up around Scone at the top of the Valley. Lake Glenbawn, north east of Scone, is pretty dark, you can only detect a slight light dome in the direction of Muswellbrook.
As Atmos suggested, narrowband always works, and i would pack for that. If you get co-operative moon rise/set times then broadband will be ok. Suggest you look at the global light pollution map and find the location where your staying on that.

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#z...ayers=B0TFFFFF

BTW the SQM reading in my backyard is regularly 20.9+, so don't think it is going to be shockingly bad up in the Valley, as long as you are away from town centres like Singleton, Muswellbrook, and Cessnock.

Edit, i just had a look at the moon set times from 22nd Dec, (21:50), so even allowing for conversion of that to DST, the best nights might be the ones from the 22nd to 25th when you can get descent dark periods. After that the moon is unavoidable and getting bigger, so narrowband only. This assumes that you, and your wife, are ok with you being out imaging late on your holidays.

Last edited by glend; 25-04-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 25-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Hey thanks very much for that info Glen!
Yes, she wants to do wine touring so probably staying at an air b&b somewhere central, maybe near Pokolbin, any recommendations?
Needs to be kid friendly as our 3 boys (8,11,13) will be with us too.
Are there many IIS'ers or astro folk/societies in the Valley?
Cheers
Andy
Old 25-04-2017, 01:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hey thanks very much for that info Glen!
Yes, she wants to do wine touring so probably staying at an air b&b somewhere central, maybe near Pokolbin, any recommendations?
Needs to be kid friendly as our 3 boys (8,11,13) will be with us too.
Are there many IIS'ers or astro folk/societies in the Valley?
Cheers
Andy
Andy, probably easiest is to ring the Hunter Valley Visitors Cente, they are open every day.

www.huntervalleyvisitorcentre.com.au

You can book accomodation through them as well. They run a big operation, and the place is always packed. Plenty of very nice accommodation. My daughter hired a house on a hill top with great views. Major resorts like Crown are there as well. You might enjoy Hunter Valley Gardens, and i recommend lunch at Harrigans nearby. Not sure about amusing the boys, especially a teenager. There are usually young kid friendly activities at Hunter Valley Gardens, but there is an entry fee.
Re IIS'ers in the area, there are a fair number of us on the coast (Central Coast to Newcastle) and one or two around Maitland i think. Societies or clubs, only the Newcastle Astro Society but not likely meeting during your stay.
Old 25-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Awesome - thanks heaps for all the info - now to get planning!