Old 20-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I took my Manfrotto 055CXPro3 (carbon version of yours) + 229 head to Iceland.

Lightweight/airline friendly yet very rigid.

It performed brilliantly....even with +50 knot winds

....but I guess it comes down to what the budget permits..
Old 20-12-2013, 04:25 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Yeh I never ended up getting anything, because like you say, if you want quality, the price jumps exponentially.

But, it's a once-in-ten-year purchase so it's probably worth the investment (like a good camera or lens).

At the moment I've still got my Manfrotto and a cheap ebay one for the 2nd tripod to get me by for timelapses.
Old 20-12-2013, 06:12 PM
rally

Depending on the level of stability required you might want to consider the Miller Solo range in carbon fibre.
Not cheap but good value compared to similar tripods in this class.

It only weighs a fraction more than the Manfrotto 055 alloy tripod, but its an enormous leap in terms of stability and payload capability.

Its Australian Made and the build quality of all the components and the way they work is really high quality !

The diameter of the carbon fibre at the top is small wrist diameter ! - the photo with the cameraman behind illustrates the massive sizes of the carbon tube, a standard photo doesnt really illustrate this well due to the proportions and the 100mm dome head.

The twist lock system is really quick to use (like 10-15 secs to setup) and its rock solid.

http://www.millertripods.com/upload/...G%20Tripod.pdf

I progressed through the Manfrotto range trying to find stability for long focal length lenses and found it in the Solo.

Its also extremely comfortable to carry with camera and long lens attached by resting it over your shoulder. The top section of legs is covered in neoprene making it warm to handle and easy on the shoulders even with 10kg of weight
Otherwise it has its own padded shoulder carry strap

Rally
Old 23-12-2013, 02:56 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
Depending on the level of stability required you might want to consider the Miller Solo range in carbon fibre.
Not cheap but good value compared to similar tripods in this class.

It only weighs a fraction more than the Manfrotto 055 alloy tripod, but its an enormous leap in terms of stability and payload capability.

Its Australian Made and the build quality of all the components and the way they work is really high quality !

The diameter of the carbon fibre at the top is small wrist diameter ! - the photo with the cameraman behind illustrates the massive sizes of the carbon tube, a standard photo doesnt really illustrate this well due to the proportions and the 100mm dome head.

The twist lock system is really quick to use (like 10-15 secs to setup) and its rock solid.

http://www.millertripods.com/upload/...G%20Tripod.pdf

I progressed through the Manfrotto range trying to find stability for long focal length lenses and found it in the Solo.

Its also extremely comfortable to carry with camera and long lens attached by resting it over your shoulder. The top section of legs is covered in neoprene making it warm to handle and easy on the shoulders even with 10kg of weight
Otherwise it has its own padded shoulder carry strap

Rally
Hi Rally,

These look great! Thanks for the link i'll check them out