Old 21-01-2013, 04:25 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Nightscape Photography Gear Checklist

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve headed out into the field to do some nightscape photography, only to find once I’m there, that I’ve forgotten something. I’ve never forgotten something critical like the camera and tripod, but it’s usually something that makes it much easier, or more comfortable. Like a headlamp, or insect repellent, or dew prevention, or spare batteries.

So I’ve created this checklist that I’ve now printed out and keep handy in my camera bag, so I can check it off before I head out into the field. I hope you find it useful, please feel free to share and of course please print out your own copy.

- Blog
- Printable version (opens in new window).

Is there anything missing? What else should be added to the list?
Old 23-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Poita (Peter)

Great idea, thanks Mike!

I always am annoyed that I forget to take binoculars so I have something to do while the exposures are ticking over.

The worst thing though is if I have taken the tripod foot thingie off the bottom of the camera and I get out there and don't have one. Many swears!!

I also keep one of those little cannister 12v-240v inverters in the kit bag as well, just in case the stupid batteries are flat (or anything else) I can run the car and charge one up.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:08 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great ideas, Peter.

I'd already started on a v1.1 and have added the tripod adapter/mounting plate for the bottom of the camera, as well as a inverter or battery charger to charge batteries en route.

Binoculars is also a good idea!