Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 21-06-2019, 07:35 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Nundah Star Party help needed

Last year I used facebook to organise what I assumed would be a sparsely attended public observing night at Boyd Park in Nundah. Obviously, given the inner city location, the moon and the planets were the primary targets. The event was extremely well supported and we believe there were around 300 people in attendance and the scouts put on the obligatory sausage sizzle.

Even though we did have about ten scopes present the queues were too long.

I am planning to hold a second session now and the date set is Saturday 7th September. The choice of date is determined by the fact that I want it to be a Saturday and the moon, Jupiter and Saturn should be visible in the early evening.

I would really appreciate anyone in the community that may be able to come along with their scope. I’m sure we will achieve similar to larger numbers this year and more scopes than last year would help make it successful.

Please PM me if you’re able to come along with a scope.

Last edited by OneCosmos; 21-06-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 20-07-2019, 07:45 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Observing night

The date is now definitely set for Saturday 7th September (weather permitting). I would live to hear from anyone who can help by bring a scope along. The last event was very well attended indeed -some 300 people so the more scopes the better.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

The event is now well and truly locked in and is going to be a bit disappointing without s few scopes.

I plan to take both of mine -the SDM 16” and the 152mm APM refractor big I can’t man two scopes for a public observing night so if anyone fancies turning up without s scope to facilitate people using one of them that would also be appreciated.

Chris
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

PM sent, Chris
Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 PM
rrussell1962

I'm in again Chris. Happy to bring the Obsession or operate one of your scopes.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
I'm in again Chris. Happy to bring the Obsession or operate one of your scopes.
Your 18 inch Obsession and my 5 inch SkyWatcher tabletop, would make for an interesting contrast in scope sizes and capabilities.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Jen,

If your 5" tabletop has a red dot finder, the kids should have a lot of fun using it themselves (providing you allow, supervised). My 4" is a hit with the kiddies, I sit them on the ground with it and away they go, being super rewarded for finding themselves.

The date just misses Saturn grazing the Moon (Brisbane) best at 1am on the morning of the 9th. Lucky people in some Aussie states get the occultation.
But we in Brissie will get our full show on Sept. 12th, just around the corner yipeee !

All the best with your event Chris, if you want to do a shout out to promote further via our facebook page, send me a message there. I'm always up for supporting & promoting astro events around Aussie
Old 07-08-2019, 03:35 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Should be OK to bring the 20" dob.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
If your 5" tabletop has a red dot finder, the kids should have a lot of fun using it themselves (providing you allow, supervised). My 4" is a hit with the kiddies, I sit them on the ground with it and away they go, being super rewarded for finding themselves.
A red dot finder is a standard accessory with my 5 inch collapsible Dobsonian.
Using it to line up on anything much above 70 degrees alt is an exercise in contortion.
I have my 5 inch set up on an old wooden kitchen chair.
For me, getting down as low as you describe, is an impossibility. Arthritis in the knees and ankles.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Hi everyone,

It has been such a busy day and so I’ve only just looked at my post again and it is great to finally see some activity; I was getting concerned. I’m looking for as many scopes as possible -you can’t really have too many and last year it was astonishingly well received and supported. This year promises to be as good or better.

Soon I’ll look to compile a list of names and contact details and scope details too.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Fantastic. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
A red dot finder is a standard accessory with my 5 inch collapsible Dobsonian.
Using it to line up on anything much above 70 degrees alt is an exercise in contortion.
I have my 5 inch set up on an old wooden kitchen chair.
For me, getting down as low as you describe, is an impossibility. Arthritis in the knees and ankles.
I’m sure anyone of us can happily align/find for you?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi Jen

The date just misses Saturn grazing the Moon (Brisbane) best at 1am on the morning of the 9th. Lucky people in some Aussie states get the occultation.
But we in Brissie will get our full show on Sept. 12th, just around the corner yipeee !

I think on the 12th though it is at 18:30 or so -pretty early still it will be great to see if clear. I was due to be in Sydney for work but think that is now delayed 😀

All the best with your event Chris, if you want to do a shout out to promote further via our facebook page, send me a message there. I'm always up for supporting & promoting astro events around Aussie
Absolutely yes please. I’m not concerned really with the numbers of the public turning up because Nundah is quite a community, my main concern is making sure there are enough scopes.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Thanks Richard. I’d rather ask someone unable to bring a scope to operate my dob (I’ll be with the 6” refractor), so please do bring the 18”. Too valuable to omit.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

The Facebook event link is:

https://www.facebook.com/events/726116097818356/?ti=icl

To view it I suspect you have to join the Nundah Northgate group but it is simple to join just give me and astronomy as the connection and you should be allowed in. I think I can send invites too. I post updates there for everyone to see but I will communicate with scope owners via email once I have s list.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Actually I thought the occultation of Saturn was on 12th August:

https://astroblogger.blogspot.com/20...ugust.html?m=1

Last edited by OneCosmos; 07-08-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:22 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
I’m sure anyone of us can happily align/find for you?
The post from Suzy, I'd replied to, was about setting up the scope, on the ground, for children to learn to use the red dot finder.
No way I can get down that low.
The other problem is trying to use the finder, working against approaching Dobson's Hole. There's no real way around it. It's why I'd like to get a SkyWatcher Virtuoso 90mm Mak Cass, because I can use the 130mm Newt on the Virtuoso. Set it up, and GO-TO.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

[QUOTE=JeniSkunk;1439839]The post from Suzy, I'd replied to, was about setting up the scope, on the ground, for children to learn to use the red dot finder.

Ah In my talk I will mention both collimation and the red dot finder but a demonstration isn’t possible to a large group but all the people showing using nests can perform those tasks with people watching. I’ll have the refractor so neither are used.

Peter Robbins has kindly agreed to man my 16” s SDM abc can show people with that.

Chris
Old 08-08-2019, 08:54 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Ah In my talk I will mention both collimation and the red dot finder but a demonstration isn’t possible to a large group but all the people showing using nests can perform those tasks with people watching. I’ll have the refractor so neither are used.

Peter Robbins has kindly agreed to man my 16” s SDM abc can show people with that.
At lower alt degrees, mine is pretty easy to use for such a demo.
Crane the neck, so head is resting on the right support locking bolt, close the left eye, and the right eye is looking straight through the finder.
It's only once you move up past about 60 degrees alt, that the contortions in trying to use the finder, becomes an issue.

Checking Stellarium, it looks like it'll be too bright to see much till at least 6:00pm - 6:15pm. I have Stellarium set to do LP of Bortle 8, since that pretty well matches how little I can see, and on Sept 7, I can barely get the pointers visible at just on 6:00pm.
Old 15-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Doolsduck (Michael)

Chris did you put the request on the Brisbane Night Sky and amateur astronomy enthusiasts FB page? Sure you'd get people from that. I myself could bring a scope but it would probably only be a 4SE and I don't think that would be very helpful.
cheers
Michael