Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Camera for Ha solar imaging

This will really get Niko laughing, but...

After putting Malcolm Barker's DMK 41 on my ED80 with Lunt 50mmHa filter and B1200 at Snake Valley I am now contemplating putting a camera on this scope for solar imaging. I've been looking at the ZWO ASI 103MM mono CMOS camera which has a 6.66 mm x 5.32mm imaging area and 5.2x5.2 micron pixels.

I reckon I still won't be able to get the full disc in one shot with the 600mm focal length of my scope so I will have to use a reducer or do a mosaic for full disc images.

Questions:

Will a 0.5 focal reducer have a significant impact on image quality
Compared to the DMK 41 the pixel size of the ZWO is a bit bigger 5.2x5.2 vs 4.65x4.65. Is this likely to be reflected in significantly poorer image quality?

What I like about the ZWO is that the sensor is bigger than the DMK 41 and the price about half.

Thanks for any thoughts
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Hey Patrick.

I hope I can help a little bit and contribute. I decided to purchase a QHY-5LII Monochrome for my Solar imaging. The first couple of times I didn't get that good of an image because I was still learning how to use it and find the best settings.

My latest image of the Sun I am happy with and find it to be a good camera for the budget I had. I do not use the software that comes with it however, I use a much better program called FireCapture.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Poita (Peter)

Do you have a computer with firewire? I have a mono grasshopper camera you could borrow for a while. It is sitting on the shelf until I can get the money together to fix my mount, so it is sitting idle. You are more than welcome to borrow it, it is fantastic for solar imaging.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Stefan and Peter!

I really appreciate your very generous offer Peter, but might find it hard to go back to a camera in the range I want to spend if I play with a grasshopper!

The QHY5 looks an interesting option. I checked out images with the ZWO and have decided to go for that option.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks Stefan and Peter!

I really appreciate your very generous offer Peter, but might find it hard to go back to a camera in the range I want to spend if I play with a grasshopper!

The QHY5 looks an interesting option. I checked out images with the ZWO and have decided to go for that option.
Let us know how you go with the ZWO.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 AM
pw (Peter)

I'll be interested in the results with the ZWO too.
I would like a DMK51 or Grasshopper Express, but the cost/value is hard for me to get my head around. I'm currently looking at a secondhand Flea 3, but am not in love with the idea of stitching to get a full disk image.
The ZWO ASI 130MM mono looks like a good deal if it works well and gives quality results.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw View Post
I'll be interested in the results with the ZWO too.
I would like a DMK51 or Grasshopper Express, but the cost/value is hard for me to get my head around. I'm currently looking at a secondhand Flea 3, but am not in love with the idea of stitching to get a full disk image.
The ZWO ASI 130MM mono looks like a good deal if it works well and gives quality results.
I was deciding between the QHY and ZWO and decided to go with the QHY. I would like to see what can be achieved with the ZWO though.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Peter,
I went down the DMK route, first with the DMK21 then on to the DMK41 and finally the DMK51....
I use them on a SM60 double stacked ED80/ BF15 and also on the 102mm modded PST.
I'm over in Maribyrnong if you want to check them out....
Yes, a reducer will give a wider FOV and more solar disk on the CCD.
With the inevitable loss of surface detail due to the pixel size/ sampling.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks for the offer Ken. I had a go with Malcolm Barker's DMK 41 at Snake Valley and quite liked it but want to save pennies for getting a double stack filter. So I've ordered the ZWO 130 - images look good and the price is great. Hope to have some posted by the end of next week if delivery is as fast as they promise.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

I know this is a bit of an old post but are you able to upload some photos taken?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Stefan,

Do you know if FireCapture is compatible with the original QHY5?

I agree, that the QGVideo software is atrocious.

I've read the instructions on how to take dark frames, but, the software provides no prompts. Or, maybe I'm a simpleton.

H
Old 14-07-2014, 03:58 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Hey mate,

Don't know if it's compatible with the original, on the website it has these cameras listed under QHY.

IMG0H, IMG132S, 5L-II

Thanks,
Stefan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Stefan,

Do you know if FireCapture is compatible with the original QHY5?

I agree, that the QGVideo software is atrocious.

I've read the instructions on how to take dark frames, but, the software provides no prompts. Or, maybe I'm a simpleton.

H
Old 14-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Appreciate the reply, Stefan. I'll experiment on the weekend. I built my own Baader Solar Safety Film filter on the weekend.

While it won't win any awards for engineering excellence, it fits snugly on the FSQ-106N's dew shield and I was able to successfully test it yesterday just before the evening sun sunk behind the trees between the neighbour's place and ours.

H