Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:04 AM
h0ughy (David)

boring yet? here are some more
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_MG_6643.jpg)
174.2 KB100 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0357.jpg)
201.1 KB99 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0359.jpg)
186.6 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0360.jpg)
201.1 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0362.jpg)
151.3 KB90 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0353.jpg)
190.0 KB107 views
Click for full-size image (_MG_6637.jpg)
163.4 KB139 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0371.jpg)
148.3 KB94 views
Old 19-10-2009, 11:52 AM
madwayne (Wayne)

Never boring for those of us that couldn't make it David. Thanks very much for posting your pics and I hope you had a better time of it this year than last year when you had all sorts of dramas with your 127ED.

Thanks again for sharing these great photos.

Wayne
Old 19-10-2009, 07:01 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Thanks for posting the photos Houghy! I wasn't up to taking any. Nice spectroscopy shots there!

Al.
Old 19-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Greg Priestley

Just wanted to say that the weekend was a blast - I really enjoyed it. Well done Mike and all the others who made it a success!

I've got some good shots and video sequences which hopefully I'll do something with in due course to share.

During the talk on the anthropic principle I was reminded of the following cartoon which I did mention to a few people over a few drinks on Saturday night
http://xkcd.com/638/

Cheers
Greg
Old 19-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
boring yet? here are some more
Hi Dave

A great set of photos that convey the environs and atmosphere of the camp so very well – thanks for posting them. Boy, does it look green compared to the Qld Astrofest!!!

Is that a TOA150 on the Tak EM200 with wooden tripod parked on the silver coloured tarpaulin with Al in the background? (7th photo)

Cheers

Dennis
Old 19-10-2009, 10:28 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Dave

A great set of photos that convey the environs and atmosphere of the camp so very well – thanks for posting them. Boy, does it look green compared to the Qld Astrofest!!!

Is that a TOA150 on the Tak EM200 with wooden tripod parked on the silver coloured tarpaulin with Al in the background? (7th photo)

Cheers

Dennis
no its not a door stop it is indeed a 130. oh and if you require a description of a doorstop then see RB
Old 19-10-2009, 10:31 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Thanks for posting the photos Houghy! I wasn't up to taking any. Nice spectroscopy shots there!

Al.
i like them too - it really was a bright rainbow
Old 20-10-2009, 05:27 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Well I've been looking with my eyes closed, don't want to see what I missed out on.
We definitely won't be missing out next year!

Thanks for the pics Dave.
Old 20-10-2009, 06:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Well I guess it's time for another writeup.

I arrived at Lostock on Thursday morning, with sunny skies but very windy and very gusty. The marquee guys arrived shortly after to erect the marquee, and with those wind gusts they certainly had to work hard!
But they did a fantastic job and the marquee gave excellent protection from the wind and sun and didn't move all weekend.

Most people started arriving on Thursday, and after a very windy day, the wind died down and gave us a few hours of clear skies on Thursday night before clouds came over at about 10:30pm. I had equipment issues for the first time at a star party, with my guiding in DEC just not working.

Friday started out beautiful and sunny again, but very windy and some very strong gusts. One of the gusts blew the hutch off my table, which contained the laptop and all the cords. Nothing appeared to be damaged, with the exception of my long-exposure serial box which had its box smashed apart but the electronics were still intact.
Andrew Murrell and John Bambury gave the first talk of the weekend, describing some of the objects that can be seen in the October Lostock skies. That was followed by Lesa Moore, who gave an account of her experiences travelling to Mauna Kea, which was very entertaining and enlightening.
Some clouds came over and we even got 5-10 minutes of rain on Friday afternoon, and I thought we didn't have a chance of getting any observing on Friday night, but it cleared away beautifully and Friday night was just magic.
Clear ALL night long, a slight breeze keeping the dew away, and 2 magic fireballs that sparked and broke up as they glowed through the sky.
My equipment problems continued to haunt me, as even though I figured out my guiding problems (by changing some settings in PHD), my DSLR (which was being controlled by the laptop) kept disconnecting and reconnecting from the laptop.
Turned out that my 4-port USB hub didn't survive the fall, and was causing the problems with the camera.
So even with the clear skies all night long, I didn't get any prime focus photography done and headed to bed about 3:30am.

Saturday was a beautiful day - virtually no wind now, sunny and very warm. I went up to the top of the nearby hill to log on, and drove past Mount Disappointment where we had the spectacular views of Comet McNaught in 2007. It certainly brought back some memories!

Later on Saturday, Greg Bradley gave a talk about the basics of great astrophotography, and was followed by Prof Geraint Lewis who gave a very interesting talk about the anthropic principals in astronomy. Some of the cosmology stuff went over my head, but the history aspect was very interesting to me.

The Lucky Door Prize went off without a hitch, and the new format seemed to work well. It was certainly over and done with nice and quickly.

Lyn Petrie (Rick Petrie's wife) won the Peppers Gift Voucher, Dean Yates (Deeno) won the Binoculars, and Mikael (the exchange student from Finland) won the 50% Argo Navis discount.

Saturday night started out beautifully again, and I was hoping we'd get another all-night clear night, but it started clouding over again at about 11pm. I think a few people were sort of relieved, happy to hit the sack to get some extra sleep after Friday night!

Some light rain on Sunday morning sped up the packing up process for a few people, and most had left by around 9-10am. I managed to get out of there by about 11:30am and spent the rest of the day unpacking!

So all in all the weather was really good - it would've been nice to have been clear ALL night long 3 nights in a row, but what we got was a bonus. For the visual observers it was perfect, with a few hours every evening - especially for the sky tours and casual stargazers who got their fix and were then able to go to bed.
For the imagers, we would've liked a few more hours but that's always going to be the case

Some thankyou's!

Firstly to the volunteers - the guys that help out on-site are just fantastic and I couldn't have done it without you. Especially Chris Poynter (chrisp9au) - his first IISAC but he was a machine! He pitched in and helped out in almost every way - manning the rego desk, cleaning, stacking chairs and tables, picking up rubbish. Thanks very much Chris, your help was greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Fred (bassnut) for the P.A setup again this year. He does such a professional job, and the added bonus of the additional speaker pointing down to the camping area was fantastic. A lot of people commented how clear it was, and it was great to be able to announce the programme, dinner etc to people down on the field. Thanks again Fred, much appreciated.

Thanks to the Gresford RFB for the catered dinners again this year. The food was just fantastic - 3 courses every night and I don't think anyone walked away hungry. They bring it all in, serve it all up, wash it all up and take it all away. I couldn't ask for anything more!

Thanks to the Guest Speakers for sharing their time and expertise and talking to the group.

Thanks to the Chris Bond (CB) for recording the talks. They'll be made available for download or youtube in the next week or so.

Thanks to Andrew (RB) for being the official photographer, taking pictures of the guest speakers and the group photo.

Thanks to Cathi for picking up the projector/screen on Thursday, Thanks to Alan Meehan for the shirts, and thanks to the sponsors (York Optical and Wildcard Innovations) for the prizes for the lucky door prize competition.

It was great to have my family there this year. Jacob came up with me on Thursday, and Kate and the girls came up on Friday. They all went home on Saturday morning, but it was nice to have them there and spend some time with them.

It was also great to catch up some old friends, make some new ones, and put more faces to the names of the people we know online.

It's always a lot of work putting IISAC together, but I'm getting better at it and this year was the best in terms of organisation and being able to relax during the event.

Some changes this year such as the witches hats down on the camping field, helpers for the rego desk, the black draping in the marquee and the better projector/screen, were all improvements that had a positive impact.

I want IISAC to be the no-fuss star party, where people can come and relax and have a good time in each others company. I want it to be the family friendly, relaxed environment and I think that now the balance is just about right.

The friendly nature at IISAC is an extension of the excellent culture we have here on IceInSpace. It's a testament to the great group of people we've assembled in this fantastic IceInSpace community.

I'd love to hear your feedback. If you haven't yet done so, it'd be great if you could fill in the Feedback Form and let me know what you liked and didn't like, and/or any changes you'd like to see.

IISAC2010 will be held on the 7th-10th October, 2010. So same time of year - last weekend of the NSW school holidays, and another week earlier so it may be a bit cooler at night.

Attached is a low-res version of the Saturday afternoon Group Shot. You can download a medium res version (1.2meg) here:
IISAC2009 Group Shot (1.2meg)

More pics will come in the next days or weeks, and I'd love to see some more writeups and pics from others!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-GroupShot-small-web.jpg)
196.9 KB187 views
Old 20-10-2009, 04:29 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Well I will post some feedback because it seems others are a little relectant to do so, for whatever reason.

I have been to every IISAC so far, Jan 2006, Jan 2007, Oct 2008 and Oct 2009. The observing conditions at the first two were OUTSTANDING. Dark clear nights on all 3 nights in both years, capped off with the magnificent views of Comet McNaught from Mount Dissappointment (how inappropriate can a name be?) at IISAC 2007. IISAC 2008 unfortunately was a washout and cloudout, but that is a hazard of the hobby and passion we have chosen. Unfortunately, despite the magnificent observing conditions and camaraderie at IISAC 2006 and 2007 I just didn't enjoy things like I should have because of the sweltering heat by day. It really made the days terribly long and arduos. I felt IISAC 2009 was easily my favourite IISAC so far, notwithstanding the observing conditions were not to the standard of 2006 and 2007. I didn't cook by day. The catering was the best yet by Gresford RFB. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and everyone was keen to help everyone else out and by virtue of past experience Mike and the other volunteers had everything running like a clock. I also enjoyed listening to the guest speakers by day. The marquee worked really well and it was comfortable to sit and listen and enjoy the talks. The guest speakers in past years were excellent, but I found it onerous to sit under the tin roof, while you self stewed in your own juices, trying to look at the slide presentation on a sunlight affected screen.

Like all good operators Mike has taken the constructive comments in the right vein and noted all the things that weren't right in past years and fixed them.

An excellent effort Mike and a job very well done. It is a great event that as a 3RF volunteer I will support whenever possible.

Cheers,
John B
Old 20-10-2009, 04:35 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback, John. Much appreciated.

October is definitely a more comfortable time of year It even got quite cold at night! The swimming hole was braved by a few kids but I didn't see many adults take the plunge

Here are a few of the shots during the guest talks (thanks RB):
1. Andrew Murrell
2. John Bambury
3. Lesa Moore
4. Greg Bradley
5. Prof Geraint Lewis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Andrew-Murrell_MG_9881-web.jpg)
191.4 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (John-Bambury_MG_9863-web.jpg)
193.4 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (Lesa-Moore_MG_9890-web.jpg)
194.8 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Greg-Bradley_MG_9971-web.jpg)
192.2 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (Prof_Geraint_Lewis_MG_0006-web.jpg)
194.5 KB30 views
Old 20-10-2009, 04:38 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

And during the formalities:
1. Mike during the speech
2. Mike and Geraint
3. Winner of the holiday (Lyn Petrie)
4. Winner of the binos (Deeno)
5. Winner of the argo (Mikael), with Gary Kopff
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mike-speech_MG_0022-web.jpg)
189.1 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (drawing-out_MG_0031-web.jpg)
196.3 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (holiday-winner_MG_0028-web.jpg)
192.3 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (scope-winner_MG_0030-web.jpg)
193.4 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Argo-winner_MG_0032-web.jpg)
194.0 KB47 views
Old 20-10-2009, 05:17 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Looks like a great time was had by all. Enjoying the photos and commentaries, keep them coming. Looks like a great success.

Dave
Old 20-10-2009, 05:29 PM
jakob

Thumbs up Thank's for a great Astrofest!

I would like to thank Mike and all the helpers for the fantastic 3 days!

The organization, the food and the company more than made up for the slight hick-up with the weather (and the cold feet).

I also would like to support all the comments by John (ausastronemer).

Cheers J.
Old 20-10-2009, 06:13 PM
jkrah
Total Newbie

great time had

I would also like to thank Mike and all the helpers.. This was my first IISAC.. actually my first real start party and it was great.

As others have said - great location, great food, great company and the weather was pretty kind as well.. (although I thought wind would destroy my tent on the first night)..

Congrat's Mike on putting on such a well organised and great event..

Heres some of my photos of the weekend..
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_0145_resize.jpg)
87.0 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0125_resize.jpg)
90.8 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0004_resize.jpg)
85.7 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0073_resize.jpg)
84.3 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0076_resize.jpg)
112.7 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0103_resize.jpg)
104.8 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0104_resize.jpg)
115.9 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0140_resize.jpg)
169.7 KB58 views
Old 20-10-2009, 11:20 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

On the way home from IISAC09, after visiting the AAT at Coonabarabran, I called in to Parkes, and in the visitor centre found a display of all the CWAS David Malin Award pictures, which of course includes pictures by Iceman (Mike), h0ughy (David), and strongmanmike (Michael), and possibly other IIS members who I haven't met.

Looked very impressive, sorry about the quality of my pics, the light reflections were terrible!

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Parkes0.jpg)
83.9 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Parkes1.jpg)
80.6 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (Parkes2.jpg)
101.8 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (Parkes3.jpg)
90.7 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (Parkes4.jpg)
89.8 KB22 views
Old 20-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Firstly I would like to thank York Optical and Mike from IceInSpace for the Celestron 20x80 binoculars. They make a great replacement for the old factory seconds purchased years ago and will provide many hours of observational ecstasy.

My first IISAC was back in 2007, when I rocked up with a recently purchased 10" DOB, a small cardboard box containing the eyepieces, camping gear and my girlfriend at the time, Amanda. All comfortably packed in a Corolla.

These days I need to borrow a van to cart all the crap that I've managed to accumulate in that time (Still have the 10" DOB). Its thanks to IceInSpace that the enthusiasm hasn't waned, otherwise that DOB would have ended up in a forgotten dusty corner in the shed.

It’s the relaxed, friendly and jovial atmosphere that keeps bringing me back each year. Even Amanda (now wife!) wouldn't miss it, who has no interest in astronomy at all.

Viva IceInSpace!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (camp 4_resize.jpg)
170.3 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (creek 2_resize.jpg)
196.2 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (weather_resize.jpg)
165.2 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (DNO_1145_resize.jpg)
187.0 KB72 views
Old 21-10-2009, 12:13 AM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

first off - thanks to Mike and the organising crew for another successful IISAC
Like John, i have been to each and every camp so far. Each remembered for different things, but always one constant - the friendly and welcoming outlook of the group.

the weather wasn't as kind as it could have been, but at least we got some viewing in and i didn't get BLOWN away this year. Apparently it wasn't my turn - a few tarps were lost to the wind again this year i hear.

for me, the number of vendors participating this year was disappointing, hope we get more next year.
Oh, and Mike - could you move the starting time to 10 or 11 am so i don't have to get up so early (and can view longer the nite before)

i would like to thank my driver and transport manager, Geoff (inmykombie), for getting me there and taking me home again - thanks Geoff
Oh, and any time you want more practice towing my trailer around Rick - just let me know

congrats to the "pony club" crew for winning all the prizes (well almost all)

what were the odds of the 3 numbers being in the 70's ?

I'm still knackered, so i must have had a good time.
look forward to next year

ps. nice shots deeno

geoff
Old 21-10-2009, 04:13 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Wow Deeno, those shots are fantastic!

Awesome!
Old 21-10-2009, 01:55 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Firstly a big thank you to Mike for organising such a great weekend, and to all the great people I had the opportunity to meet!
I now feel as though I'm a fair dinkum member of IIS!

I just wish I had taken some 'people' pictures, but I'll put that down on my list of objectives for next year.

Thanks again
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-00.jpg)
115.6 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-01.jpg)
103.8 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-02.jpg)
104.8 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-03.jpg)
103.7 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-04.jpg)
110.1 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-05.jpg)
89.5 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (IISAC09-06.jpg)
98.4 KB32 views