Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Paul Haese

Aussie Broad Band with actual NBN

What has taken over 4.5 years to complete is now reality. Our area had NBN construction started 4.5 years ago. We watch all the area around our home and the few neighbouring streets go live and then gradually wondered why our street did not get activated. After many calls and emails to NBN, members of parliament and the TIO we finally had connection made today.

Being wary of backhaul in this new field, we went with the advice from a mate Peter Miller who had his connection made some time ago. He had several service providers and each of those were duds because of one reason or another but back haul was always an issue. He went eventually with Aussie Broad Band. He got the speed he ordered and never had any issues with them even during peak times. On his advice I went with them too. Today we joined the 21st century. I got 50Mbps with a 100gig limit as a preliminary order to see if we needed more. The picture is a screen shot conducted minutes after connection. That pretty much says they deliver what you pay for, which is something rare. We did have to wait 6 weeks for them to get the bandwidth extended for our area, as they will not go above 80% of the bandwidth for a given area, but once you are on, they deliver and that is all that matters.

One happy customer here. Of course tonight during peak will be the real test but I have no doubts it will be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Aussie BB speed test.jpg)
36.6 KB73 views
Old 30-10-2018, 12:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Your on a Winner Greg ....
Old 30-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Kunama

I'm also on Aussie BB, same speed as you. My son is on their top speed plan.
Excellent service, Aussie call centre if needed.
Old 30-10-2018, 03:34 PM
kalon (Kevin)

I am in a Liberal electorate pre-cabled with HFC, so my due date for NBN is 202x...

I ditched ADSL2+ and will never sign up for the tripe NBN, instead opting solely for 4G mobile broadband and enjoy 22ms latency and 120/60Mbps. Packaging with a friend we get 450GB shared data pool for $120 including a mobile voice service.

If you are on a good NBN connection, it is great! For everyone else, think about your options...
Old 30-10-2018, 03:45 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalon View Post
If you are on a good NBN connection, it is great! For everyone else, think about your options...
Yup. Most ISPs do not buy enough throughput and cost cut in this area. I'm on an Optus 50/20 that let's just say is lucky to perform at 20/18.

It's frustrating AF, and it's why 90% of Australians are getting screwed over. Our Internet is way overpriced and way underperforming and our government colludes with the ISPs to let them continue to get away with this.

PS after 15 years working in IT, 8 years for a small ISP, I think I can say the above with absolute accuracy. The NBN hasn't changed a thing our speeds are still crap.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Paul Haese

10 days later and we are still experiencing 48Mbps down and 16Mbps up. Happy enough with that at present.