Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Baader filter film-making solar filter.

Hello.

Just wondering what a home made solar filter is like,and what viewing results are given.Using this product

http://www.astroshop.com.au/products...sp?id=MAS-018F

My two refractors have a lens cover with a little hole and cover,in which this paper be attached on the inside of lens cover.

Just wondering what the views are like of sun? Was thinking of ordering a sheet this morning,and also making some covers for camera lens and binos for the up coming venus transit,and to take photo of planes passing the sun disc(seen two 747's pass in last three days with eclipse glasses jjj sent me (thanks jjj)

Any advice on getting this solar project up and running,would be most helpful.

Thanks Chris
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Chris,

I have used Baader Solar Film (5.0) on my telescopes and binoculars. Attached are some pictures showing my kit and the Sun in white light taken on Monday 7th May 2012. From a visual point of view, the results are excellent.

The image of the Sun is taken using a-focal photography and a Panasonic DMC-FT1 Digital happy snapper clamped to the eyepiece. The good news is that the view through the eyepiece is sharp as a tack. The bad news, for me at least, is that it isn't easy to replicate this level of detail in my images.

With your high spec photographic gear you should have no trouble at all.

I rate this product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1010823 - Resize.JPG)
141.3 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (P1010909.JPG)
99.1 KB94 views
Click for full-size image (P1010926.JPG)
47.6 KB89 views
Click for full-size image (P1010689.JPG)
86.2 KB75 views
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks Stu-great images there!

Not sure if mine will work out the same,will have the DSLR of back of 4 inch refractor.

I just ordered a 20 cm by 30 cm,for astro shop,so will have enough for a 4 and 3 inch refractor,and even if I make a set of filters for 80 mm binos,will still have an amount left over,which I will have no use for.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Just tape the film to the inside of the aperture reduction hole Chris. That's all I do, it works a treat.
For your finder scope get the lid from a can of spray paint, it should fit snuggly over the front of the finder. Cut a hole in the bottom and tape the film on the inside.
I've made a tutorial on how to make a filter for your camera lenses. It's in the ATM section of the forum.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=86579
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Just tape the film to the inside of the aperture reduction hole Chris. That's all I do, it works a treat.
For your finder scope get the lid from a can of spray paint, it should fit snuggly over the front of the finder. Cut a hole in the bottom and tape the film on the inside.
I've made a tutorial on how to make a filter for your camera lenses. It's in the ATM section of the forum.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=86579

Thanks jjj,I planned to do that,Dennis rang this morning,I told him that I had what you mentioned planned.He pointed out that it would make my F8 scope and F16,and image may be dim.He made up a filter as large as possible for his 7 inch tak,and suggested a similar style home made one to go over dew cap of 4 inch vixen.I'll check out your how too's jjj thanks.