Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Observation notes 10/4/10

Observation notes /4/2010

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Guiding: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG)

The Plan – observe items listed in Ice in Space April Challenge thread, Arps in Virgo.

The best laid plans…I spend the evening dodging cloud and slewing from one part of the sky to the next. Here are some of the notes I was able to make.

Seeing – excellent – 1/5
Transparency – Varying from 0-7/7 rapidly due to intermittent cloud

ESO 172-07 Boomerang nebula – proto-planetary nebula in Centaurus 250x Still a very faint patch of fuzz near rhomboid of faint stars. Some sense of elongation, but no real detail apparent even with better transparency.

NGC 5170 GX in Virgo 175X Very flat edge on spiral, quite faint disc with distinct nucleus. Much the same appearance at 250X. Oriented WSW-ESE

M49/Arp 134 GX in Virgo 175X Elliptical galaxy with small companions (NGC 4472, UGC 7636 ) M49 quite a bright circular haze and NGC 4472 also quite distinct small circle on the edge of the halo of M49. I can’t see UGC 7636. “Diffuse fragments” is the peculiarity of this galaxy.

NGC 4976 GX in Centaurus 175X Distinct bright nucleus in round halo. A much fainter edge on spiral just to the south of 4976.

More serious cloud ends my observing session.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
orestis

Nice observations,i was dodging clouds at my place too,before beeing totally clouded out so i packed up,got ready for bed and as i was about to go to sleep i looked ot the window and it was totally clear,i see why some people stay out ther the whole night just in case it clears up.

Clear skies to all,
Regards Orestis
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
pgc hunter

Gotta hand it to ya mate, wringing that last drop of clear sky before the droplets of evil dealt that fatal blow.

Good to see a visual report on the Boomerang and NGC 5170 . Did you see any hint of the dust lane, which cuts thru adjacent the southern edge of the core?
Old 13-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
Gotta hand it to ya mate, wringing that last drop of clear sky before the droplets of evil dealt that fatal blow.

Good to see a visual report on the Boomerang and NGC 5170 . Did you see any hint of the dust lane, which cuts thru adjacent the southern edge of the core?
Desperation I think. I did get a brief impression of a dust lane, but the murk moved in pretty quickly on me with this one and I didn't get enough time to be sure. I will revisit on a better night though.