Old 17-11-2012, 12:14 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Revisiting Unimap

I had some idle time in the lousy weather this morning so I had another play with Unimap. I like it - particularly as an aid in identifying the other things that crop up in an image.

But at the moment, it only wants to talk to the SAO and I was wondering how one loads a different Catalog into it.

Anyone else having a fling with this program?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (solved.jpg)
197.8 KB34 views
Old 17-11-2012, 12:36 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I had some idle time in the lousy weather this morning so I had another play with Unimap. I like it - particularly as an aid in identifying the other things that crop up in an image.

But at the moment, it only wants to talk to the SAO and I was wondering how one loads a different Catalog into it.

Anyone else having a fling with this program?
Peter, if you open the "Options->Catalogs" menu you can add other catalogs for stars, DSOs and all sorts of other objects. You then choose one of the others as the current catalog.

Tycho2 is usually enough and you can download the whole catalog. The bigger star catalogs ones below that in the list are probably better to just download the bits required as required. You do need to have a reasonable guess at the field centre and FOV or you'll have to download a bigger area and that can take ages. It does cache the bits it has downloaded.

Be warned, with a large FOV even Tycho2 can crash it by running out of memory. We had that discussion a couple of week back with Marc's mosaic. I had to reduce the max magnitude to about 8 before it stopped crashing.
Old 19-11-2012, 06:16 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Peter, if you open the "Options->Catalogs" menu you can add other catalogs for stars, DSOs and all sorts of other objects. You then choose one of the others as the current catalog.

Tycho2 is usually enough and you can download the whole catalog. The bigger star catalogs ones below that in the list are probably better to just download the bits required as required. You do need to have a reasonable guess at the field centre and FOV or you'll have to download a bigger area and that can take ages. It does cache the bits it has downloaded.

Be warned, with a large FOV even Tycho2 can crash it by running out of memory. We had that discussion a couple of week back with Marc's mosaic. I had to reduce the max magnitude to about 8 before it stopped crashing.
G'day Andrew,
I already have quite a collection of databases including TCHO2 and others, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get UniMap to access local copies of those catalogs - the TCHO files are DAT files whereas the UniMap data files seem to be in another format with an ADM suffix.
I had hoped to be able to make the system free-standing so I can use it in the field without an internet connection and accessing SINBAD and so forth remotely.

Peter
Old 19-11-2012, 04:12 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G'day Andrew,
I already have quite a collection of databases including TCHO2 and others, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get UniMap to access local copies of those catalogs - the TCHO files are DAT files whereas the UniMap data files seem to be in another format with an ADM suffix.
I had hoped to be able to make the system free-standing so I can use it in the field without an internet connection and accessing SINBAD and so forth remotely.
Peter, you can get it to download entire catalogs like Tycho2 (ie the not too huge ones) from the "Options->Catalogs" panel and then use the local copy. Since I have copies of UCAC3, most of NOMAD and my UCAC4 DVD is somewhere between the USNO and here I'd like to be able to tell it to use those. I must ask Larry about enabling that.
Because different programs use different data formats for catalogs I have at least 4 versions of Tycho2, and 2 or 3 of PGC/Leda, UCAC2, UCAC3 and a few others.