Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 19-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Adam83 (Adam)

Bintel Crayford Focuser 10:1 Refractor (96mm OD)

Hello,

I am looking for replacement of stock focuser for ED100. Bintel has "Crayford Focuser 10:1 Refractor (96mm OD)" that looks like good fit. I am aware it is rebranded GSO and scanned quickly random (positive) reviews.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bintel-crayford-focuser-101-refractor-96mm-od/

Does any of you have first hand experience of this focuser? Is it any improvement over stock one (e.g in holding position with heavy load)?

Thank you in advance,

Adam
Old 20-11-2018, 09:42 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Hi Adam,
I looked at getting an SCT version for my 180 Mak. I decided against it because of load issues - with 2" diagonal and eyepieces I'm going to be loading up well over 1kg, and from what I could gather the GSO wasn't up to the task.
Cheers
Stephen
Old 20-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Adam
I'll take the other view, had an 180 Mak and put an Bintel / GSO SCT Crayford on it and it worked fine with 1 1/4" diagonal. Couldn't see the sense in trying to use 2" Diagonal and widefield eyepieces in a scope that is basically designed for narrowfield planetary, lunar observing / imaging. Was good for planetary nebulae too.
Also have GSO focusers on a few of my refractors, with 2" diagonals, not the best focusers available but with careful adjustment of the tension thumbscrew, will carry the diagonal and 30mm widefield eyepiece happily. Even an DSLR for photography without the extra weight of a filterwheel is fine except when pointing vertical, can slip a little if not tensioned carefully.
Old 20-11-2018, 11:33 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Adam , I had one of these on my ED80 , 1st photo and it was nice after a little tweeking as already said .
It held my 1kg 31mm Celestron Axiom easily at vertical .

But if you can stretch your budget a bit go for the ' Linear Bearing ' style GSO focuser , these are stronger in all ways , this is one on my Saxon 102mm in the 2nd photo .

Both are very good but I have found the linear bearing requires less tweeking to work at it's best .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (015 (2).JPG)
111.1 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180324_122249 (3).jpg)
198.8 KB84 views
Old 20-11-2018, 11:39 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

It's a good point Jeff, although I do love the views of the moon and Omega Centauri through my 35mm Panoptic.
My thinking was the GSO/Bintel would carry about 1kg and cost around $180 all up while I could spend around $200 extra and get a focuser capable of carry 6kg.
When I get more scopes the 2" diagonal and focuser will be shared amongst them.
Old 20-11-2018, 04:16 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam83 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for replacement of stock focuser for ED100. Bintel has "Crayford Focuser 10:1 Refractor (96mm OD)" that looks like good fit. I am aware it is rebranded GSO and scanned quickly random (positive) reviews.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bintel-crayford-focuser-101-refractor-96mm-od/

Does any of you have first hand experience of this focuser? Is it any improvement over stock one (e.g in holding position with heavy load)?

Thank you in advance,

Adam

Hi Adam
Had one on a ED100 a while back and took it apart giving it a re-grease and anything i could improve i did but still never felt right slipping under heavy loads , Should have spent the extra on the linear bearing version at the time a far more substantial focuser and great value for the money.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Adam83 (Adam)

Hello All,

Thank you for your input. Lots food for thoughts.
I am inclined now to go for Linear Bearing Focuser- you only live once!
Old 20-11-2018, 07:57 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Sounds like a good choice to me