Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 14-01-2021, 08:06 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

NGC 2014, 2030 & Friends

The weather here has been giving me lemons since November!! So here is my lemonade!

I did 15 hours but had throw away 4 at the start because I had the wrong framing!! So this is a mere 11 hours comprising Lum, Ha and OIII. I need more OIII and want RGB so I can do an augmented "natural colour" rendition - probably another 8 hours worth. Who knows, it may end up my longest integration time ever! The next couple of clear nights is forecast to have bad seeing so this may be it for the season .

Anyway, this is a spectacular region in the LMC and I can't wait to finish it. It'll be a bugger to process properly I reckon but I think the luminance layer is shaping up reasonably well. Hopefully you agree.

This is only a SCREEN SIZED version until I finish it ... next year?

https://pbase.com/gailmarc/image/171342404/original
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LHaOIIINGC2029a_annotated_tiny.jpg)
192.1 KB58 views
Old 14-01-2021, 08:34 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yep, lots of cool, intriguing bits and pieces there Marcus, looking good so far, the final version should look good

Mike
Old 15-01-2021, 07:07 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

What a crispy clean clear sharp rendition! Perfect.

Just love that pair of espresso coffee cups, and the big chunk of brain coral at top left.

Your framing presents the right hand coffee cup a bit differently. It is the left eye (our right) of Grog, the character from the BC comic.
Old 15-01-2021, 08:32 AM
gregbradley

Sensational Marcus. That is my favourite neb in the LMC. I started to image it myself again for the 3rd time last night but clouds came over.

That would make a spectacular colour image.

Greg.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:27 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Beautiful Marcus. I don’t think it needs any colour. A nice contrasty B & W image is hard to beat.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:33 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

What a marvelous result.

I really like your framing of this region. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the colour...

...Hopefully au naturale ! (I'm not a fan of the current fashion that maps green to yellow...or purple or whatever )
Old 15-01-2021, 09:36 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

It's already looking good Marcus. Great details and contrast. Heaps of really diverse and interesting structures in that fov.
Old 15-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Not much to add the deserved praise above. Echoing Greg’s comments it’s also my favourite LMC target and your monochrome rendition here is superb
Old 15-01-2021, 01:02 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yep, lots of cool, intriguing bits and pieces there Marcus, looking good so far, the final version should look good

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
What a crispy clean clear sharp rendition! Perfect.

Just love that pair of espresso coffee cups, and the big chunk of brain coral at top left.

Your framing presents the right hand coffee cup a bit differently. It is the left eye (our right) of Grog, the character from the BC comic.
Thank you M&T! I wouldn't have thought of coffee cups or Grog. But did you see the crab crawling over the brain coral??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sensational Marcus. That is my favourite neb in the LMC. I started to image it myself again for the 3rd time last night but clouds came over.

That would make a spectacular colour image.

Greg.
Thanks very much Greg! I think colour will add a lovely dimension. I'll be aiming for a somewhat more natural looking palette than the ones I see on the internet. I'm sure that will be pretty challenging to achieve though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Beautiful Marcus. I don’t think it needs any colour. A nice contrasty B & W image is hard to beat.
Thanks Geoff! Fair enough - I like a good mono image too because you clearly see the full spectrum of tonal & contrast variations. I'll probably maintain a mono version on my website when I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
What a marvelous result.

I really like your framing of this region. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the colour...

...Hopefully au naturale ! (I'm not a fan of the current fashion that maps green to yellow...or purple or whatever )
Many thanks Peter!. Ah yes, the framing. I said a few impolite words when after the first 4 hours I finally decided I had screwed it up. I had noticed earlier that it was offset low and to the right but indecision made me postpone the decision to restart.

Yes, the colour will be as natural looking as I can make it with a not-to-much / not-too-little amount of saturation. That's how I roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
It's already looking good Marcus. Great details and contrast. Heaps of really diverse and interesting structures in that fov.
Many thanks Marc! Encouragement very much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Not much to add the deserved praise above. Echoing Greg’s comments it’s also my favourite LMC target and your monochrome rendition here is superb
Thank you Andy! I hope the colour (when I eventually get it) doesn't disappoint! I confess, this object wasn't on my radar until quite recently.