Old 24-08-2008, 09:55 AM
leon

Some New Stuff From Canon

Hi Guys, some of you probably know this, but I understand that Canon is y bringing out some new Cameras, and wopping big EF800mm F/5.6L Lens shortly.

There is to be a Canon 5D Mark 11, and a 1000D, there is a wait list with Discount Digital Photographics where one can put their name down, with no obligation to buy, and have a sticky when they arrive on the market.

It will be then that the prices will be known.

Then again this may be old news to some, but I thought I might just mention it.

Leon
Old 24-08-2008, 10:12 AM
RB (Andrew)

Yes the 1000D is/will be released as an entry level DSLR and also released is the 800mm monster (overseas) but at $US 12,000 it's not what you'd call your average walkabout lens.

The rumours of the 5D Mk II have been flying thick and fast and to date nothing's been confirmed although everyone is anticipation Canon will release this model soon and perhaps a 50D (late August or Sept during Photokinia in Germany).
The 50D rumour is one that has popped up now apparently to replace the 40D and to regain some ground that Canon has lost to Nikon with their brilliant D300.
Also Nikon has the great FF bodies of the D3 and D700 which has identical sensors and some fantastic extra features.

We'll have to wait and see what Canon will do.
Old 24-08-2008, 10:28 AM
leon

Andrew, you seem to be the man with all the knowledge, from now on I will just ask you, thanks for the info.

Leon
Old 24-08-2008, 10:43 AM
RB (Andrew)

LOL thanks Leon

I do believe that the original 5D is a superb camera and still one of the best (apart from the pro 1Dx series) that Canon have made.
I'm very happy with my 5D and 20D (both have very good S/Noise ratio).

It's fun to keep an eye on developments though and to see the new features and performance on both sides of the fence.
Competition is good.

One thing I like to do though is stick with a camera body as long as I can, once I find one that I'm happy with, and not chase features or pixel count.
I'd rather invest in good glass instead since it's the lens that will be with you far longer than the camera body.
And I know you would agree too.

Cheers mate.
Old 24-08-2008, 11:00 AM
leon

Andrew, what you have said is spot on, although I do have a look at the features of other cameras I do intend to keep my camera of choice as well, that being the 5D, and as you have probably noticed in my signiture I have two.

It is just so well suited for my set up, and performs perfectly, but it is nice to look

Leon
Old 24-08-2008, 11:32 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Andrew, what you have said is spot on, I do intend to keep my camera of choice as well, that being the 5D, and as you have probably noticed in my signiture I have two.
I don't blame you and if I could I'd buy another 5D as well.

Actually if anyone is in the market for a new one they've come down now to around $2300 AU body only.
Old 24-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Isn't the 1000D available in Oz yet? I see it available from Expert Info for about $700, body only.
Old 24-08-2008, 01:14 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Isn't the 1000D available in Oz yet? I see it available from Expert Info for about $700, body only.
Yes I believe it's available Robin and it's on the Canon website, but I haven't seen it yet at any of the regular suppliers I visit.
Old 24-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Ian Robinson

That's a big bit of L glass , bit too pricey for me .... would sooner have a WO FL150 .