Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:30 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Unhappy Frustrations finding the right camera backpack!

Argh!

I have done so many hours of researching and spent several hours in shops trying to find the right camera backpack. One that is dual purpose for hiking (has padded space for camera gear and space for food, jacket, map, tripod, water, etc).

Why can't they just make the perfect one! I mean, I know that's impossible , but really, why can't they ?!

Right now it's come down to:
LowePro Primus AW
Vanguard Up-Rise 45

Both are side-loading (which is great)
Both can have tripod, camera gear and other gear

Vanguard is small on "other gear" space, especially as it does not have any water bottle storage and limited jacket storage. Having no space to put a water bottle or hydration pack, or sling a jacket seems such obvious exclusions.

Primus AW is small on camera space, or more to the point, the camera space is awkwardly shaped such that there is much wasted space in it, limiting me to 2, maybe 3 lenses in there. BUT the Primus AW has jacket spot, water spot, ample space in non-camera compartment, more comfortable harness.

Hmmmm.

I just had to vent. I doubt there's anyone that can help me with my decision, but if there is, feel free to speak up.

I'm going to Japan soon so really hoping to find one urgently.

I love my Deuter Aircomfort pack but it just doesn't work well with camera gear (camera + lenses, no padding)

Roger.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:48 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Hi Roger, not sure I can help out but I have the Lowpro Mini Trekker which may be slightly smaller than what you're looking at but it's surprisingly good for storage. It packs the following:
  • Can 450D with 18-270 zoom
  • Can 20D with 10-20 zoom
  • 35-50 zoom
  • 85mm fixed
  • Right angle viewfinder
  • 2 x remote release
  • Couple filters
  • Spare batteries and chargers, misc cables
  • Can strap a light weight tripod to the front
I'm considering getting a 100mm macro but given it won't fit with all the above would probably need to get a SlipLock lens case which attaches to the side.
Have fun in Japan
Old 29-01-2010, 02:00 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacad01 View Post
Hi Roger, not sure I can help out but I have the Lowpro Mini Trekker ....
Thanks Adam and yeah, unfortunately I'm after a little more space for non-camera stuff. My current "camera backpack" is very similar to the one you have, holds all my camera gear but for day hikes where more water and food are required, and for travelling OS, I need more "general space" to handle the water, food, jacket, etc.
Old 31-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

I bought a NANEU PRO Urban Gear U120 about 18 months ago, and have been very satisfied with it. Have a look at this link and see what you think. It is OK to go in overhead lockers on planes (just), but I have not been refused in about 15 different check ins. Very well made, and considerably cheaper than the LowePro gear, or was 18 months ago. It has so many pockets and compartments that you need a GPS, or you'll get lost. The really good thing is that the inner camera compartment lifts out completely, leaving you to use the back pack for trekking. It has a bottle holder, a tripod holder, CD player compartment as well as taking a 15" laptop. My gear all goes in. 40D + 18-75 lens fitted, a spare 300D body, 100-400 IS Zoom, 12-24 WA Zoom, 50mm standard, 100mm Macro, cards, batteries, cables, charger, cleaning gear, extension tubes, as well as my 15.4" laptop.
Old 31-01-2010, 01:26 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Thanks Mike.

I think I did actually see one of those backpacks, but it's not quite what I was after, seeing as I need hiking + photography at the same time 100% the time, not one or the other, and it is more "brick shaped" than I was after (personal preference).

I have ended up buying a LowPro Primus AW. I bought it last thing yesterday and hadn't got back to the forum until now.

Having the Primus at home and fitting my gear in it I am more happy with it now, I think it will work well until they bring out a new improved version in a couple of years

I will be registering with LowPro and telling them about the various thing I think they did wrong with the bag, as they do request feedback.

But, all in all, considering pros and cons, I think the Primus will be quite good for my travelling and hiking over the next couple of years. Time will tell
Old 31-01-2010, 01:28 PM
rogerg (Roger)

... it's amazing how after all the searching I've done for backpacks over a period of weeks or more there's still good options like Naneu that I haven't even seen! Looking at their range they have some others which are very suitable to me, but I just never saw them anywhere - web or locally.

Thanks for the tip on Naneu.
Old 31-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Roger

Have a look at the ThinkTank rotation360 backpack. Photocontinetal in Brisbane have just started stocking a small sub-set of the ThinkTank range. I was in there yesterday but they didn’t have the rotation 360.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 28-02-2010, 09:24 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I'd just like to mention that I've had some time using my LowePro Primus AW backpack and am very happy with it.

Recently I had a week skiing in Japan and used the Primus AW as my backpack for the trip, carrying my Canon 7D with 17-40 F/4L and 70-200 F/4L with various accessories and non-camera gear. Very successful.

The backpack is very comfortable, easily capable of substantial hikes and very comfortable for carrying around airports after 24 hours of travelling.

My concern about it being hard to get the camera in and out the side pocket, as reported by many reviews on the web, turned out to be an asset. After only a little practice it's easy to get the camera in and out without removing the backpack from your backat all. The reason it can be tricky at first is a small padded flap and the size of the zip. What these two combined to do is to keep the pocket door closed even when not zipped up. This means if you forget to do up the zip (or think you have but actually haven't) the camera can't fall out. I skied for a few KM with it like this over bumpy terrain one time, nothing fell out.

My concern about it not holding all my camera gear is realised, but it depends on the usage as to if this s a problem. Travelling it's brilliant, holds just what I need. With either lens on the camera it all fits easy, and changing lenses without removing the pack is easy. But for shorter dedicated photography trips with my other 2 lenses, extension tubes, doubler, etc, I am having to put my extra lenses "lose" in their leather pouches in the top compartment. This is less than ideal, but it's a fair compromise. They are still well protected, just not easily accessed.

As expected the pack doesn't look anything like a camera backpack - unless you know LowePro make camera backpacks you woudln't guess it contains camera gear. That is, unless you have the tripod strapped on the back of course. And the gear is very safe, it would be very hard for anything to be stolen while it's on your back due topositioning of the zips.

Oh, and one last thing, having a design where the contents are accessed from the back not the front has already proved useful. I could put the pack down in the snow and just unzip the back. The harness would stay completely snow free, sitting up out of the snow. Also makes it easy to access the inside when the rain cover is on.

The pack's non-camera gear compartment is a good size for travelling. And the overall size of the pack is good for airline carry-on luggage. It also works nicely having somewhere to sling a jacket.

There are of course improvements that cold be made, but I have realised there is no perfect pack. Imrovements - more practical internal small pockets (existing ones need elastic to expand), ability to zip up the full height front pocket used for slinging jacket, camel water pack, etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd finalise the thread in case someone searches and finds it later.

A couple of pics of it on me, attached.

Roger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3195.JPG)
175.8 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3251.jpg)
132.7 KB66 views