Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Astromelb

FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER

Thank's for the interest guys, unit has been sold.

BTW - next time I am "required" to sell at "your specified" prices - merely let me know which of you I "must" contact to set my prices, thanks

FOR SALE - FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER

I have yet another a new refractor on the way, and have very sadly decided to part with the last of my Barry Adcock custom hand crafted refractors

Details:

Design & hand craftsmanship: Barry Adcock - ex President of the ASV, and one of the most revered astronomy enthusiasts in Australia for decades, plus one of [if not the] most revered telescope hand craftsmen in Australia
Aperture: 102mm
Focal length: 1200mm
Lens: Fluorite Doublet Oil Spaced
Lens: Japanese O'Hara Glass Apochromatic
Lens: Hand crafted to an extra high accuracy of a minimum 1/20 wave PV

Tube: This is where my own design input came in. In concert with Barry, I applied further innovation in the design of Barry's systems, as I had a lot of experience with them having already four of his telescopes, this one was my fifth. This time I wanted something extra special. So I made a departure from Barry's standard practise of a hand painted tube, and got him to make his first powder coated telescope tube. The result - the surface finish is high gloss white powder coat - and as you would expect, it's superb

Focuser: This is again a departure from Barry's usual hand crafted R&P process, and instead I innovated. I got him to utilise a Carl Zeiss Jena R&P taken from a Zeiss microscope from the 1980's instead. The result - exceptional smoothness, as you would expect from a Zeiss R&P

Other features (all custom hand crafted by Barry Adcock):
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted lens cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted focuser rear cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted 50mm finderscope rings cell (note finderscope is not included but I have available options to interested parties)
* Aluminium tube fully squared on lathe
* Internal multi knife edge baffles
* Collimation push/ pull screws on lens cell, for precise collimation capability
* Focuser 2 inch with 1.25 inch matching custom hand crafted adaptor

Performance:
* Apochromatic: This telescope has absolutely no false colour. Whilst I am aware as many of you that nearly all doublets struggle to achieve semi apo performance, this unit is totally different. Barry's exceptional design and crafting skills are most evident in this telescope. This unit's colour is as clean an image as my Carl Zeiss Jena APQ 100/1000, there is absolutely no false colour, even on the moon, it is totally and fully apochromatic - in the true sense of the term

This is a very rare opportunity for one of you to purchase what IMHO is one of Barry's major achievements. There are many of his telescopes around, sure - and I have owned five of them. This is the only one that was totally apo in performance, as whilst the others were exceptional telescopes, sure, they still had the faintest hint of colour on say the moon. This unit is different, it is the only one that I can state as a true apo

But this unit sits on an Eq in my lounge and simply is not going to be used. It needs someone that will cherish it

It is my last Adcock to go, when I view I use the Zeiss. This unit deserves better than sitting on an Eq in my lounge Plus I have another new telescope on the way is a custom hand crafted that Mark Turner of Moonraker (UK) and I are making, and I have designed, using a black gloss powdercoat tube with polished alu inserts, a FT 3.5 focuser, and a LZOS 123mm f6 OK4 Triplet, so you can see this unit being sold is understandable

Price $ 2,500

Packaging & shipment nationally or internationally at actual cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (105mm1200mmcaflhandcraftedrefractor.jpg)
110.3 KB235 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3060 Mid Res.jpg)
46.9 KB162 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3061 Mid Res.jpg)
48.5 KB130 views

Last edited by Astromelb; 22-05-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 21-05-2014, 09:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Is this the same telescope?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=115453
Old 21-05-2014, 10:50 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Huh? How about that. So, whats the difference between exceptional and staggeringly exceptional? Is exceptional like average exceptional and staggeringly exceptional a special kind of exceptional? Like super exceptional? Where are we going with this? Where is the line drawn?

Old 21-05-2014, 11:41 PM
allan gould

Could you be a little clearer about which parts of this scope Barry Adcock hand crafted? Was it the lens and lens cell, or the scope body and focuser, or the entire scope.
Many thanks for your time.
Allan
Old 22-05-2014, 07:46 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

smart ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Huh? How about that. So, whats the difference between exceptional and staggeringly exceptional? Is exceptional like average exceptional and staggeringly exceptional a special kind of exceptional? Like super exceptional? Where are we going with this? Where is the line drawn?

Old 22-05-2014, 07:48 AM

for crying out loud lewis , are you blind!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Old 22-05-2014, 08:01 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Same pictures, same description, different price Brian. What was your point?

Old ad:

Exceptional Fluorite 102mm Planet Killer refractor
It's time to move on some of the gear that I have that will simply never get used

You will not see gear like this advertised on I In S anytime soon, this is an exceptional once off opportunity for you to purchase something staggeringly exceptional

Details:

Barry Adcock Hand Crafted 102mm f1200 Ultra Premium 102mm oil spaced doublet >1/20 wave PV (as tested by Barry Adcock) Fluorite refractor

This unit is totally and completely 100% apochromatic, there is absolutely zero colour, Barry's optic design is exceptional - where many telescopes claim to be apochromatic (and aren't) - this unit is a true apochromat. It is as colour free as my oil spaced triplet Carl Zeiss APQ100/1000 Fluorite !!

The full optical tube assembly custom has been engineered and hand crafted by Barry Adcock, who many of you will know from his decades in astronomy, his teaching engineering at Swinburne in Melbourne, as a past president of the Astronomical Society of Victoria, and one of the most revered telescope craftsmen ever to craft a telescope in our fair country

But - this is no ordinary Adcock. This unit is different

1. Focuser - Instead of a hand crafted Adcock rack and pinion for the focuser - this unit uses the rack and pinion out of a Carl Zeiss 1970's microscope, so it is buttery smooth, and has a precision that you very rarely if ever experience in any rack and pinion, it is that precise

2. Tube coating - Plus this is not the hand painted tube that Barry did for all his scopes - this is a powder coated tube. I had Barry innovate this additional duty for this unit, and the surface finish of this unit is as gorgeous as a brand new car

The lens cell and focuser cell are both sand cast custom hand crafted and machined aluminium by Barry himself, and the unit is fully knife edge baffled with additional baffles as was Barry's common practice to ensure premier capability & performance

This unit is unique.

It's performance is stunning

It's condition is excellent, I have cared for this unit as I care for all my scopes, it suits a new buyer

Why am I selling it, simple, I have a stable of Carl Zeiss refractors, doublets, triplets and oil spaced triplets, and now I use them. But these Zeiss units are expensive, so if you are after the capability of this brand but without the $10-15k plus +++ price tag, this is the best bet you will see on I In S in years. I need the space - so the Adcock has to go

Price is $ 1,200

Supply includes telescope, tube rings & finder scope bracket (suit 50mm finder scope). Options: finder scope, diagonal and eyepieces are also available on application

A new unit ? - If Barry could do it would be easily three times this price

Pickup from Bentleigh, Melbourne - or shipment nationally at extra cost

Payment in cash on pickup or via Paypal

Thanks for looking

NEW ad:

FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER
FOR SALE - FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER

I have yet another a new refractor on the way, and have very sadly decided to part with the last of my Barry Adcock custom hand crafted refractors

Details:

Design & hand craftsmanship: Barry Adcock - ex President of the ASV, and one of the most revered astronomy enthusiasts in Australia for decades, plus one of [if not the] most revered telescope hand craftsmen in Australia
Aperture: 102mm
Focal length: 1200mm
Lens: Fluorite Doublet Oil Spaced
Lens: Japanese O'Hara Glass Apochromatic
Lens: Hand crafted to an extra high accuracy of a minimum 1/20 wave PV

Tube: This is where my own design input came in. In concert with Barry, I applied further innovation in the design of Barry's systems, as I had a lot of experience with them having already four of his telescopes, this one was my fifth. This time I wanted something extra special. So I made a departure from Barry's standard practise of a hand painted tube, and got him to make his first powder coated telescope tube. The result - the surface finish is high gloss white powder coat - and as you would expect, it's superb

Focuser: This is again a departure from Barry's usual hand crafted R&P process, and instead I innovated. I got him to utilise a Carl Zeiss Jena R&P taken from a Zeiss microscope from the 1980's instead. The result - exceptional smoothness, as you would expect from a Zeiss R&P

Other features (all custom hand crafted by Barry Adcock):
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted lens cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted focuser rear cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted 50mm finderscope rings cell (note finderscope is not included but I have available options to interested parties)
* Aluminium tube fully squared on lathe
* Internal multi knife edge baffles
* Collimation push/ pull screws on lens cell, for precise collimation capability
* Focuser 2 inch with 1.25 inch matching custom hand crafted adaptor

Performance:
* Apochromatic: This telescope has absolutely no false colour. Whilst I am aware as many of you that nearly all doublets struggle to achieve semi apo performance, this unit is totally different. Barry's exceptional design and crafting skills are most evident in this telescope. This unit's colour is as clean an image as my Carl Zeiss Jena APQ 100/1000, there is absolutely no false colour, even on the moon, it is totally and fully apochromatic - in the true sense of the term

This is a very rare opportunity for one of you to purchase what IMHO is one of Barry's major achievements. There are many of his telescopes around, sure - and I have owned five of them. This is the only one that was totally apo in performance, as whilst the others were exceptional telescopes, sure, they still had the faintest hint of colour on say the moon. This unit is different, it is the only one that I can state as a true apo

But this unit sits on an Eq in my lounge and simply is not going to be used. It needs someone that will cherish it

It is my last Adcock to go, when I view I use the Zeiss. This unit deserves better than sitting on an Eq in my lounge Plus I have another new telescope on the way is a custom hand crafted that Mark Turner of Moonraker (UK) and I are making, and I have designed, using a black gloss powdercoat tube with polished alu inserts, a FT 3.5 focuser, and a LZOS 123mm f6 OK4 Triplet, so you can see this unit being sold is understandable

Price $ 2,500

Packaging & shipment nationally or internationally at actual cost

And IDENTICAL pictures, just posted 5 months apart.

Old picture link: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=153572

New picture link: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=162828

You Brian would have to be blind not to see this is the same thing, all over again, with a price tag $1300 more than previously when "sold OS". Make up your own mind.

Witch hunt? No, TRUTH hunt.

This will be deleted at the protestations of the accused, and I will probably be banned, but the truth must come forth.
Old 22-05-2014, 08:33 AM
garymck (Gary)

I'd actually like to know the glass types as I've never actually known of Barry using "real Flourite". He has used some "ED" glass, but not "Flourite". I'd also like to know if Barry would certify the lens.........He is certainly outstanding as both a glass pusher, and as a gentleman, but keeps a very low profile.

cheers
Gary
Old 22-05-2014, 08:38 AM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

Fluorite

It will be a fluoro crown glass Barry used, not a CaF2 crystal (real Calciumfluorit).
But nowerdays many lenses with fluoro crown glass like Ohara FLP-53 are called fluorite, this is marketing.
Fluoro crown glass in doublets cannot match Calciumfluorites in doublets due to the superior optical properties of Calciumfluorite.
Old 22-05-2014, 09:16 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

I agree with LewisM, and fail to see why this scope's twin is twice the price!
Old 22-05-2014, 09:57 AM
blink138 (Pat)

hmmm......... in light of other things that have been brought up recently, it does seem a little dishonest
i do not think there is anything wrong with an enthusiastic ad per se, however two of the protagonists are well known for embelishment of the aformentioned and you either like the style or you do not!
i had seen the ad before lewis' post and thought that i had seen the pictures before so the poster must have known that we have already "been there"
the difference in price is just downright strange or rude!
pat
Old 22-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Hey guys its a free world and the OP can ask what he wants for this scope , no one is pressing you into buying it , chezzz .
I see it sold , and I bet Lew is sour , he he he .

Brian.