Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Synguider Opinions

G'day everyone,

I've just about decided to get a Skywatcher Synguider and was wondering if anyone had any info or opinions on what they are like.

If I got it, it would be used on an 80mm F5 guide scope, and connected to an iOptron IEQ45 mount, would these work alright together?

I'm still getting my head around computerised mounts and auto guiding so just want to be sure that it will all work.

From what I have read, the Synguider, while not being the easiest to operate, provides quite good guiding once locked onto a decent guide star. The guide scope mount will be fully adjustable so a decent star should be available most of the time.

All thoughts or info appreciated.

Jo
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

No one know anything about it ? Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and get one and see

Jo
Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Jo a fair bit of info here . There is also discussion on problems, all of which seem to be user error, but there is particular note of the power supply requirements which seem a little unusual.

If you don't need the stand alone capabilities of the synguider, you would be better off using something like the starshoot autoguider and PHD on a laptop or perhaps one of the ZWO optical cameras in either mono or one shot colour.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Jo,

I have a Celestron NexGuide which is a rebranded Synguider.

Please see below some links to previous threads where I have put my 2 cents worth in.

I haven't done any imaging for over 18months now due to my work posting but when I did use it, I had good success with it as it doesn't need a laptop out in the field and associated software etc.

Trying to target your guide star onto the small chip can be frustrating and also focussing esp if your exposure is longer (ie > 1024mS) and it is easily susceptible to dust on the chip showing up as stars on the grid.

Finally, I would suggest after performing an auto calibration, adjust the DEC and RA guide pulse lengths. These are the numbers you see after guiding has started. Usually they are a number in the hundreds (eg 400) and you adjust them by simply using the up/down/left/right buttons on the hand controller to fine tune the aggressiveness of the guider. Often I stay below 400 but it is dependant on a number of variables.

Good luck!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=101677
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=79772

Darrin...
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Jo a fair bit of info here . There is also discussion on problems, all of which seem to be user error, but there is particular note of the power supply requirements which seem a little unusual.

If you don't need the stand alone capabilities of the synguider, you would be better off using something like the starshoot autoguider and PHD on a laptop or perhaps one of the ZWO optical cameras in either mono or one shot colour.
Thanks Phil, I'll have a read though that tread.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
Jo,

I have a Celestron NexGuide which is a rebranded Synguider.

Please see below some links to previous threads where I have put my 2 cents worth in.

I haven't done any imaging for over 18months now due to my work posting but when I did use it, I had good success with it as it doesn't need a laptop out in the field and associated software etc.

Trying to target your guide star onto the small chip can be frustrating and also focussing esp if your exposure is longer (ie > 1024mS) and it is easily susceptible to dust on the chip showing up as stars on the grid.

Finally, I would suggest after performing an auto calibration, adjust the DEC and RA guide pulse lengths. These are the numbers you see after guiding has started. Usually they are a number in the hundreds (eg 400) and you adjust them by simply using the up/down/left/right buttons on the hand controller to fine tune the aggressiveness of the guider. Often I stay below 400 but it is dependant on a number of variables.

Good luck!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=101677
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=79772

Darrin...
Thanks Darren for the info and the links

It looks like it will do the job great

Thanks again.

Jo