Old 30-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Outbackmanyep

Canon 400D

Ok peoples,
If i was to buy a camera for some deep sky astrophotography, without the SBIG expense, whats your opinion of the 400D??
I know i have heard 350D's are better, but how would i know!?
The 350D's are not manufactured anymore, so along comes the 400D......

What mod's need to be done for the camera before i start with astrophotography?

I have no idea about using digital SLR's for astrophotography so if someone can give me a rundown on using one of these cameras to take a pic of...lets say NGC 5128.....what would the process be like? From start to finish.....

I know i can trust ya's!

Whats your opinions!?

Cheers!
Old 30-05-2007, 09:20 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I wasn't aware that the 350D is better than the 400D - what's your research on that based on?

You might need a telescope and a mount, and the Canon connectors to a scope unless you're using a big lens. A USB based DSLR bulb cable would be nice (recommend Shoestring Astronomy's convertor), and an external power supply for the 400D.

Next some software, maybe DSLR Remote or DSLR Shutter. Will you autoguide - whole set of requirements there. What about focus control if its telescope mounted - a USB controllable focuser (JMI for example) into a motorised focuser helps.

I use the 400D as do many here - it seems fine to me!
Old 30-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Lert

I have a 350D and very happy with it.. The 400D has a higher pixel density which can stand a little more cropping but with slightly worse noise performance.. a secondhand, underused 30D would be nice too, if you wanted to do normal photography as well..
Old 31-05-2007, 01:18 AM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

I see the comparisons, and I understand the reasons, but I also look at the fine results here and eslewhere, and I honestly cant see it is a big deal with 400D? seems like splitting hairs? so you have to put a spare battery in maybe ( ihave the 350d and the battery does last an incredble amount of time! lol - always thought bigger is better still?
i am wondering wether to wait for the next version, as there are plenty of signs its coming reasonably soon? - i assume it will be obviously bigger, will the pixels also bigger like in the 350d was? or just the same as 400d crammed into a bigger chip? but won't that also be a little more taxing on the lenses? as the 450d is still 1.6x crop of course,
Old 31-05-2007, 05:21 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There's been a few threads discussing the 400D vs the 350D. Do a search as it will add more information into your decision.

If I was buying first time, I'd go for a 400D, no questions. Since I already own a 350D, it's not worth me upgrading though.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I went with the 400D because it had a larger view screen on the back mainly. The specs against the 350D were almost identical. Noise, LOL what noise, what noise that is there can be processed out like any other DSLR on the market. All you need is a scope good tracking and the right adapters like a T-thread and 2" adapter to go into your focuser and a cable release to get yourself going. Later on, get a PC shutter control cable made up or buy one, depending on how rich you are. Its a big learning curve, get the basics then move up, or unless you can afford it, get the camera, t-thread- 2"adapter, PC cable, USB extension leads etc.......
Old 31-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Outbackmanyep

Great! Thanks guys!

My set-up would basically be the same with my 35mm SLR, just with a DSLR in place of it, as for guiding i'd just use my radial guider and have a remote release to take pics as i do already.
My guiding is pretty good with film, my scope wont support an autoguider, but the tracking is smooth and i know it pretty well and the PEC functions great!
As for focussing i can use my right angle finder, i have had great results with that, and i doubt it'll be a problem, i have adaptors for Canon cameras with it.
I wont get rid of my film camera though.....im still getting good images with it!
So i guess i'll buy a 400D soon and will let you know how it all goes!

Cheers!
Old 31-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Good luck mate.. Dont get ripped off with it either, do your homework
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

From what I understand the 400D (5.6 micron I believe, but don't quote me on that) has smaller pixels than the 350D (6.4 micron) which is slightly smaller than the 300D (7.4 micron). In this respect the 300D has the prefered pixel size.

You will find some great info here
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...rmance.summary
Old 01-06-2007, 08:16 AM
John K

I think also that the 400D is a better camera for daytime photography. I have been extremely happy with mine, and as people have said seeing that you cannot get a 350D brand new anyhow it's a fantastic way to start and something that will take at least a few years to become outdated.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Outbackmanyep

Just ordered it today for just over 1K.
Good price compared to other outlets.

Cant wait to get it!

Thank you everyone who has replied!

Cheers!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
CometGuy

I think you will be pleased with the 400D. There are couple of important improvements in the 400D over the 350D, and one of them is that the Autofocus has been improved especially with faster lenses. If you ever get some faster (i.e f2.8) telephotos to use for astrophotography you may appreciate this when Autofocusing on bright stars.

Terry
Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Outbackmanyep

Thanks for the heads-up Terry!
Will keep that in mind!

Cheers!
Old 13-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Outbackmanyep

OK GUYS!
Received the camera on Monday, just charged battery today and have taken the first 10 or so pics out my front yard and backyard and holy @$%!....
This is quite a sensitive little unit, will post pics when i work out how to download them to puter !
Its -1 outdoors already and i feel like skipping state of origin and taking more pics!!
This is quite awesome!
No cable release or t-ring as yet but will get them soon!
STUNNING!

Cheers!
Old 13-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Great stuff mate, well done, your gonna love it.

Even better when you work out the menus
Old 13-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Outbackmanyep

Ok,
Here i have 2 shots, one of Southern Cross and the other of Scorpius from my backyard and front yard respectively, both 60 second exposures @ f/3.5 with 18-55mm lens, i set the ISO at 1600. It was -0.5 outside when i took these pics.
I don't have a remote release yet so my finger did the job!
I can already see I'm gonna have fun with this camera!

YAY!

PS.....I do live under a flight path too, so aeroplane trails are a common hazard! hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0027a.JPG)
110.8 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0031a.JPG)
116.5 KB77 views
Old 16-06-2007, 08:30 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Great shots! Wait to you get playing with digital signal processing - like Photoshop CS2

Your original just slightly tweaked!

One run of levels (dark adjust), one slight signal boost (curves) of low intensity light, one tweak to make stars smaller - all up 40 secs work or less - imagine what a professional could do with under 10 minutes work on a shot like this!

The second shot is just a repeat of the above to further boost faint signals. The third again - the point is the more you experiment the you can tweak until you get what you like!

Scorpius too - looks a treat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (outback_stars_ps.jpg)
89.2 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (outback_stars_ps2.jpg)
91.0 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (outback_stars_ps 3.jpg)
100.2 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (outback_image_scorpius PS1.jpg)
92.7 KB44 views

Last edited by g__day; 16-06-2007 at 08:46 AM.