Old 21-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Tiger74
Did you just moon me?

G'day folks!

Complete novice here but I have to say hi. Stumbled across this forum in my reflector scope research (I ended up with a Saxon F1149EQ).

A lot of this (actually, make that everything) is new to me. I managed to put the scope together ok... Well, the assembled scope looked like the diagram in the instruction manual so I guess I am doing ok so far...

I am still to work out the viewing part of it all... Will return with more questions!
Old 21-04-2007, 04:50 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Tiger74, I am sure you will love this forum
Old 21-04-2007, 04:54 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Welcome Tiger! You've made the first step - finding us here! Now you can ask as many silly questions and you like and get all the advice you need.

It makes a huge difference!
Old 21-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Tiger, welcome to the gang.
You can ask as many questions as you want to, there are so mant knowledgable people here that there will always be someone with an answer.

Cheers
Old 22-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Tiger74
Did you just moon me?

Smile

Thank you for the welcome

I will need to spend some time reading the basics. Had a quick browse of the forum and there is some very helpful information here. Basically, I will RTFM first but will definitely raise my hand to ask questions.

At this time, I have only put together my reflector. Not quite sure what all the bits are however I have a general idea. Am waiting for the next full moon to really give the scope a go.

Brief info about me. I work at a call centre for an insurance company and I also enjoy playing computer games.
Old 29-04-2007, 02:58 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Tiger n welcome.
A little advice re; viewing the Moon. It's always better when it's in phase n not full.
It just looks like a white dinner plate with hardly any features avail.
The full Moon also 'washes out the sky', which does not help in finding n viewing the fainter objects.
But, when in early or late phases, you can see a lot more surface details as they are lit from the side by the sun & casts shadows inside the craters.
You'll notice that the diff between the light n dark areas are very stark. This is because there is no atmosphere to split/diffuse the light.
Have fun n take your time when viewing. Let your eye/s adapt to the view.
Oh, n don't try to overpower the t'scope with too much magnification.
A smaller, more defined object is much better than a big fuzzy one.
HTH. L.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
pikpakboom

hi everyone! i just got a nexstar 8i today and i tried looking at the sky and i cant seem to see anything, i tried pointing at a star and i can't see anything...is tonight a bad night to see?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi pikpakboom! Sorry for the obvious question - are all the covers and caps off both ends? Eyepiece is in place? Have you followed the instructions in the manual? Set up tomorrow during the day looking at a distant hilltop, or house , or TV antenna (DO NOT not point in the direction of the sun!!!) Plenty more light during the day so you should see something so you can learn how the focussing works. Then, if that all works, tomorrow night point it at the moon. If you cannot see that, there is a real problem. Good luck! Keep asking questions and give a full description of the problem. Put up photos if you have a digital camera - that may help people here to spot the problems.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
pikpakboom

thanks! i did it at daytime and that really helped a lot! i finally learned how to do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Its always better to start off with a ep around 25mm or bigger then work your way down to 12 or 9mm if you want to lok at the planets that are out these nights.

Gazz
Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Chr

Hello,

Came across these forums last week, and I must say, they are the greatest resource I have ever found
A few years ago, I got the astronomy bug, and after some minor (and now in retrospect, poor) research I purchased a 150mm x 1400mm Saxon newtonian reflector. This came on a basic eq3 mount, and two fairly poor eye pieces. However due to my poor research and inability to find any sort of information at the time, was unable to really make good use of it, so it has sat in the corner of a room for a couple of years, barely used

Now however, I am really eger to get into it all seriously, and properly, but honestly I still have no clue what I'm doing. I am seriously interested in learning astrophotography, as well as normal observing.

However after reading through these forums for a week or so I'm now wonder whether I should try to use my current scope to learn, and slowly kit up with things like motor drives, piggy back mount for camera, eye pieces ect. Or whether I should pick up a good Dobsonian to start really learning how to observe etc. or whether I should grit it out with my reflector, and the annoyance of aligning the mount, and trying to work out how to collimate the rotten thing constantly.

Apologies for the length.
In short
Hello! I'm a newbie! Need help

Many Thanks
Chris
Old 13-05-2007, 05:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Chris, welcome to IIS!

Is the Saxon one with a built in barlow? Being only 5inches it's always going to be a little limited in aperture. If you want more light gathering, and the convenience of a "plonk down and start observing" scope, then an 8" or 10" dob would be a great start back into the hobby for you.

Keep asking questions!
Old 13-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Chris, welcome to IIS .
This is the place to ask all the questions you have, there are a lot of knowledgable people who will only be to glad to help. As Mike said "keep asking".
I think that if you try to "grit it out" with your present scope you will probably not be happy with it and therefore it will be used less and less.
A fresh start might be the way to go.

Cheers
Old 13-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Chr

Thanks for the welcome, its much appreciated. And yes, it has the built in barlow, so its physically half the length of its focal length.
Old 13-05-2007, 01:10 PM
cristian abarca

Hi Chris this was my first telescope and I still have it. It is not as good as other telescopes but it is still OK to start with. Just use it. You will find that the Barlow will block out a fair bit of light and that it really is a bugger to collimate but I found that regardless of this it was still good to use. Learn how to use it and don't bother putting any motors on it or upgrading it, it's not worth it. Save your money for later. I use mine as a solar scope now and it works well for this.

Regards Cristian
Old 15-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Petzza

Whats the difference between telescope brands

Hi, I'm new to astronomy http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/tongue05.gif but have done a lot of investigation and have had the pleasure to use my fathers home made 8" dob. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....es/happy19.gif I'm now looking to purchase my own 8" or 10" Dob. I get different views on which brands are better or best mostly from salespersons. It seems they all come from one of two places. Is one better than another or do I buy the cheapest and spend the savings on better quality eyepieceshttp://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/..../shrugging.gif I'm so unsure http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/..../helpsign3.gif
Old 15-05-2007, 08:27 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Howdy Petzza and Welcome.

How'd you end up with the smilies as links???

A lot of the Dobs are from 1 factory - Guan Sheng (GS)

There are several shops selling the GS dobs under different names. Ring around and get the best deal you can on one. They are quite good quality for their price
Old 15-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Petzza

Thanks for the welcome, obviously you're not meant to drag the icons, that just does not work. GSO or Bintel I believe are the same telescope and are the cheapest I've found in 8" or 10" Dob. But I've been told they can be greatly improved by using better eyepieces. What is a good brand in eyepieces.
Old 15-05-2007, 11:39 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzza View Post
Thanks for the welcome, obviously you're not meant to drag the icons, that just does not work. GSO or Bintel I believe are the same telescope and are the cheapest I've found in 8" or 10" Dob. But I've been told they can be greatly improved by using better eyepieces. What is a good brand in eyepieces.
Hi Petzza. What eyepieces have you seen? The ones your father has? If you buy a Bintel reflector, you'll get some basic eyepieces - start with them and see how they compare with your father's first. Then as everyone recommends, get yourself and scope to an astronomical club observing evening so you can see other eyepieces. You may well be able to borrow them and compare with the ones you have, in your own scope - or the owner will come and show you. There are a few clubs and observing locations around Melbourne.
Old 18-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Petzza

Thanks erick, the eyepieces I have, or borrowed, I should say are Tele-Vu, I think thats spelt correctly, and a 2X barlow tube all made in Japan as they are a few years old. I have been told thats a very good brand. I'm still interested to know if if there's any difference in the optical quality, like the primary mirrors, between a Skywatcher / Saxon and a Bintel / GSO.