Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 16-10-2011, 05:36 PM
LucasB (Lucas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Or this one, TEC160ED and an AP reducer and bits and pieces:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=750621

Greg.
Quote:
Yes these are the many considerations that you go over and over.

I am sure the Officina 130mm scope is great its just that a new AP130GT is only about US$6750 or something similar so how can someone justify the huge price difference. Perhaps because it is made in Europe and it seems they pay nearly 50% more for astronomy gear. They must have a lot of taxes etc.

My advice is to get the biggest and best upfront otherwise I can tell you are going to want the bigger one later just like I did and it will cost you in the changeover. Its like pulling off a bandaid, rip it off and get it over and done with. A TOA 150 is a heavy scope. I presume its still portable though. The TEC160FL would be lighter I am sure. My TEC180FL is "portable" (its quite long in its case, but it fits in the back of a Toyota Prado) and it will run on an NJP (I did this for several years).
TEC had 2 sets of glass left to make a 180 recently. I can check with Yuri for you if interested. Someone posted he had no glass sets left for TEC160FL and the glass company wasn't doing a melt on that glass for the rest of this year. Again, I can check for you.

TEC140 is a well known and well loved scope. Slightly wide field though but then again not as much as a 130 scope.
Same as AP140. It would depend on what camera you were using with it.

His Yuri's response to the email:

Message Body

Greg,
APO140ED - ~5 mo
APO160/180 - no timing yet since we do not know if Schott will make new melt of one of the glasses... This question be answered in January only.
If your friend is looking for scope for general use - I would recommend him APO140 - our best seller (over 550 sold).
deposit of $1200 is required to place an order.
best regards, Yuri
Greg.
Thanks for the info regarding the TECs , could be worth the wait. I just got news yesterday from the mechanic the car has milky oil in the sump which is indicative of a cracked head or some other major damage so could be up for a few thousand! Still really want to scratch that itch with a great triplet so maybe I might have to go for 130-140 range for the moment or just wait a month or two.
Just saw an AP130GT go for $7000 (while I was waiting for my account confirmation from Astromart). It came and went very quickly. The TEC160ED with reducer is good at the price but would need beefier mount.
Cars....
Lucas
Old 16-10-2011, 07:19 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroAussie View Post
Thanks for the info regarding the TECs , could be worth the wait. I just got news yesterday from the mechanic the car has milky oil in the sump which is indicative of a cracked head or some other major damage so could be up for a few thousand! Still really want to scratch that itch with a great triplet so maybe I might have to go for 130-140 range for the moment or just wait a month or two.
Just saw an AP130GT go for $7000 (while I was waiting for my account confirmation from Astromart). It came and went very quickly. The TEC160ED with reducer is good at the price but would need beefier mount.
Cars....
Lucas
A late model AP scope reasonably priced usually doesn't last more than a day but TEC140's come up occassionally. There will be more AP130GTs for sale as Roland in the not too distant future is about to start another production run of these.

Greg.
Old 18-10-2011, 03:30 PM
gregbradley

What about this one, drool:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=751004

Greg.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:19 PM
LucasB (Lucas)

Quote:
That is some serious drool material. The price is reasonable but I reckon there could be room for movement. A new one is about $16000 US. There is also a TEC140 and FSQ from the same guy. He is really having a clear out! I still have to rip that bandaid off......gotta take the plunge sooner or later.
Lucas
Old 19-10-2011, 02:52 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroAussie View Post
That is some serious drool material. The price is reasonable but I reckon there could be room for movement. A new one is about $16000 US. There is also a TEC140 and FSQ from the same guy. He is really having a clear out! I still have to rip that bandaid off......gotta take the plunge sooner or later.
Lucas

Also there was the same scope (or very similar) about 4 weeks ago
for $8500 as I recall. These would be excellent scopes but they don't seem to hold their value like Tak, AP, TEC do. But then he's taken the hit not you. You'd have to think it'll always be about a $7500 scope 10 years from now.

Greg.