Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 PM
outwestwa

DSLR at prime focus

Hello group. I’ve read different article on astrophotography and some talk about the use of filters to bring out more detail it the photos. How do you mount filters when the camera is set up at prime focus? I’m using a canon 20D with a Meade #62 T adapter mounted to the back of a LX200 telescope. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I don't think you can do it in that configuration. To use a filter of some typ you will need to use something like the Orion Prime Focus Adapter and then screw the filter into the end of it. To use the OPRA with an LX200 you will need to insert it into either a SC - 2" eyepiece adapter or into the Meade motorized fine focuser.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
bloodhound31

You can screw filters to the end of the camera adapter. The part that bridges the gap between the T-Ring and the eyepiece holder in your telescope.

I have drawn a picture for a better idea.

Hope this helps.

Baz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Filter setup.GIF)
16.6 KB49 views
Old 04-12-2007, 09:11 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

How would you bring stars into sharp focus? The view finder would be too small and hard to see in the dark wouldn't it? Sorry for such silly question. I have just ordered a Canon 400D & I can't wait to take some prime focus pictures with my WO refractor. Apart from t-ring and camera adaptor what else do I need? I have never used a SLR before. Need more tips from you guys
Vincent
Old 04-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Zuts

Hi Vincent,

Focusing is very difficult as the image is so dim so most people use a laptop and connect the camera to a program like FocusAssist which is free. There are lots of other programs available as well. Then you take multiple shots each time tweaking the focus until it looks good on the screen. Sounds hard but really quite straightforward.

If you dont like the idea of a laptop then some people use these http://www.stellar-international.com/index1.html. I have one but dont use it much as i tend to always have a laptop while imaging so i can guide.

Canon 40d's have live preview so you can try to focus on a bright star and then slew to the object you are interested in.

Paul
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Vincent,

why not read the thread provided by Barry at ASIGN just two threads under this one. It will give as good an idea as any about what is needed for imaging.

I found it immensely useful, as me you and Barry all have the same camera which makes it so much easier to relate to.

Cheers,
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Barry, the Meade #62 isn't like a standard prime focus adapter. It has a loose ring with an female SC thread on one end and and male t thread to go into a T ring adapter on the other end.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
outwestwa

Hi, what was said in post #7 is right and it screws directly on to the rear of the telescope where you would normally screw the eye piece holder on to. I do use a computer to set the focus on the telescope only using the Canons ESO viewer software that came with the camera and it works just fine you can control camera and adjust setting as needed .