Old 30-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Re the weight factor......much depends on the way a composite item is made. The glass microfibre infused resins we produce have a density of approx., 1.4 gms/cc as opposed to aluminium's 2.7 gms/cc.

Cheers
Old 30-04-2015, 11:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Re the weight factor......much depends on the way a composite item is made. The glass microfibre infused resins we produce have a density of approx., 1.4 gms/cc as opposed to aluminium's 2.7 gms/cc.

Cheers
When you said composite molding my mind ran to heavy glass mat fibreglass boats.

If you work in a place which does glass microfibre molding then it would be great if you want to tool up a case, I'm sure you get some buyers here.

I want to keep the weight down because I'll be using copper on the TEC and adding a heatsink fan, so the lighter the case the better. Perhaps Steve could share his drawings of the case. Why not PM him and ask, you might uncover a US market for the case as well. PM him at the Cloudy Nights thread.
Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by glend; 01-05-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 30-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

I'm trying to decide whether I'll have the time to join the diy project, if I do then I'll look at a composite housing. At the moment I'm buried in planning how we're going to move our factory from Warabrook over to Cardiff
Old 01-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

I pulled the trigger and PM'd Steve......have asked if he would supply details of his case design so I can try and design a mold for casting the housings.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Damn...it appears everyone joining the project has something to offer or expertise to add.....except me!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Brendan,

I'm fine with basic pcb assembly and soldering so long as it's a kind of "join the dots" job but I'm going to be way out of my depth after that.

Also, I've heard back from Steve who is more than happy to supply details once everything is locked in. If you're bored have a look at our website www.mirteq.com ......it is aimed at the US composites market and the factory we opened over there but we're actually a N'cle company.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:56 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Also, I've heard back from Steve who is more than happy to supply details once everything is locked in. If you're bored have a look at our website www.mirteq.com ......it is aimed at the US composites market and the factory we opened over there but we're actually a N'cle company.

Good to hear...ohhh nice stuff to play with! A little OT....did these MIR resins grow from the minesweeper project (forgive my ignorance). I can see how these can reduce development time indeed.

Steve has been a champ on this, in fact they all have...I just get to ask stupid questions!.

Really looking forward to this as it'll stimulate me and keep me from being idle. I did note one or 2 of the chipsets they were using were a little old (aka the clock generator) and they were looking at the dual PSU package, U1, as a QFN24 package, which is going to be a pain to solder. I wonder if there are alternates easier to solder like TSSOP24 packages.

Anyway no use worrying as the design is undergoing rather large changes atm.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM
glend (Glen)

Brendan, et all, are you going to try debayering the D70 sensor? I am considering sending my spare Canon 450D 12 megapixel sensor over to JTW to get it debayered. It's already full spectrum.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Brendan, et all, are you going to try debayering the D70 sensor? I am considering sending my spare Canon 450D 12 megapixel sensor over to JTW to get it debayered. It's already full spectrum.
Yes and no. I see that you would be best to debayer it prior to putting the sensor in as it's soldered in and not placed in a carrier socket. This is probably for noise and stray capacitance on the sensor pins.

So, attempting to debayer it later...will not be easy with the sensor in situ.

Yes I'd love to do this debayer but this may be impractical later...or...maybe build 2 cameras! One of each! I can see that this project is going to tear at my heart strings and nerves are already beginning to fray!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM
glend (Glen)

Here are JTW's instructions for debayering a sensor (CCD or CMOS):

http://www.jtwastronomy.com/tutorials/debayer.html
Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Thanks Glen. I have been watching the members over at Stargazers lounge mono-DSLRs (100+ pages so far), as well as our won Alistair and Jo's work.

Have also checked out CN when the debayering started, Some impressive mouth watering results indeed. The trade off is the extra integration and imaging time.

Thus I'd love to have a colour version and a mono version....is that greedy?

Oh I think there was discussion regarding the "gold finger wires" to the matrix on the sensor. Some "glues" shrank when setting causing them to break...bummer!

edit:
oh tried my D70s on the scope (with a nikon T ring) with some simple shots in daylight...sensor and the rest works a treat...just looking at a method of tethering it to have a play before offering it to the "dissemble gods"!.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Good to hear...ohhh nice stuff to play with! A little OT....did these MIR resins grow from the minesweeper project (forgive my ignorance). I can see how these can reduce development time indeed.
No mate, nothing to do with minesweepers.

If you've ever worked with chopped strand mat f/glass you may have noticed the individual strands are made up of a multitude of micro-fine filaments, that is what we use........approx., 1/3 the diameter of hair and nominal length of 0.5mm. Our core technology (our 11 herbs and spices) is what we do to them to create a chemical bond to the resins rather than the traditional mechanical bond.......the end result is that while we don't compete with traditional f/glass for things like pools and boats, we do offer the ability to mold intricate shapes that trad f/g can't achieve.

The detailed info I ultimately get from Steve will dictate whether it is going to be feasable to proceed. If I can prove it's viable to make composite housings, then once the inital tooling is completed, the rest should be relatively straight forward. If time allows, I will have a play with "dummy" molds in preparation for the real thing.........will post anything of interest here.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 PM
glend (Glen)

Chris are you using epoxy resin or polyester, etc?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Glen,

Primarily Vinyl and Polyesters. We have a resin alloy we developed which is a blend of thermoset and thermoplastic resins as well.

We are essentially a custom or bespoke formulation company developing and supplying to order.........nothing kept on the shelf.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:02 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Sorry for digging up a very old thread that has been dug up already once.
Did anyone actually make one of the cameras based on the D70 sensor? I got bitten by the DIY bug and this looks like quite a fun project to do next.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi folks. I've been watching the CN thread closely and believe the system is still in a little bit of flux.

For example I was waiting for the round PCB ver but this appears not ready. Also, this impacts on thermoelectric cooler design, which is being implemented by some users but not yet ready.

Of course I could do my own cooling but if it's already in development I'd rather wait.

I will be making this camera, but believe it's not ready yet. Time frame....My best guess is later this year.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:20 AM
glend (Glen)

Luka, et al, I have a brand new Nikon D70 sensor - as used in this project, that I can sell to anyone wishing to build one of these cameras. Since the project started I have purchased a mono camera and no longer need the D70 sensor. Let me know if interested. I will put an ad in the IIS Classifieds later today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF1400.jpg)
204.1 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF1402.jpg)
225.4 KB39 views
Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Sensor already gone... that was quick.

Anyway, maybe I should start a new thread for this specific build instead of trailing on this 7-years old thread about generic builds?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:46 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
.......Anyway, maybe I should start a new thread for this specific build .........
Probably a good idea Luka
Old 13-06-2016, 10:48 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Just letting you know that a new thread has been started regarding building ICX453AQ based camera, see here.