ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Can't go wrong with a Takahashi?

(Apologies to Humayun for using his heading)

I have been advised to post this for the information of other Takahashi owners with a 2.7" focuser. (Mine is a TSA120)

As can be seen in the attached image, this focuser is worn away on the saddle that holds the spindle shaft and that is tensioned by a plate with two screws.

It is such a simple mechanism that it is hard to understand how this wear could occur in such a short time with little use by both owners.

Also intriguing is the black outline around the worn area...who and when did someone take it upon themselves to outline the effected area?

Was it Quality control?

This fault has been brought to the attention of Claude at AEC and he is as horrified as I was.

Claude has been marvellous and is sending images and info to Japan for advice, as the warranty is not transferable.

I used the scope without a problem at Qld Astrofest with manual focusing only.

It was only after fitting a custom JMI motor focuser and having problems with getting the focuser to work that we dismantled the focus mechanism and discovered the wear.

The scope serial number is 130163 which means it was a 2013 model.

If you own a focuser similar to this, it may be beneficial to have a look and see if there is similar wear.

May I stress that the previous owner had no knowledge of this problem when the scope was sold and absolutely no inference should be made that he is at fault in any way.

I hope this post is of help.

regards,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1687[1].jpg)
116.5 KB261 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1690[1].jpg)
91.1 KB252 views

Last edited by Clancy Lane; 04-10-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: delete unnecessay info
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM
beren

I hope you can get it fixed quickly.

I'll be installing a JMI motorfocuser on mine soon, I'll keep a eye out .

Wonder if the focuser lock was engaged a little while using or when testing the JMI focuser while installing ?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Focus lock

When we installed the JMI motor focuser, the focus shaft would travel out but would then not travel in.

I use an Sbig 8300c for imaging that does not weigh much at all and the scope was horizontal at the time.

Nice theory but not cause of the problem.

We also fitted an Orion motor focuser with exactly the same results.

regards,

Phil

Last edited by Clancy Lane; 04-10-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM
gregbradley

Hard to tell from the photo that there is excessive wear. What is the picture showing?

Electric focusers often travel out more easily (with gravity) than against.
Isn't that more a comment on the electric focuser not having enough grunt or a slipping fitting if you say you could focus manually easily?

Electric focusers have a bush that fits the shaft of the focuser. In the case of Robofocus there is a standard brass bush and it often does not match some scopes so you can get a wobble and it will fit rotating to some degree. You can order from Robofocus the exact right bush (shaft diameter exactly the same rather than the grub screws screwed too far in to close up the too large a diameter bush). That makes a night and day difference. How is it with the JMI in this regard?

Greg.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Electric focusers

Thanks for your input Greg!

One side of the saddle has actually worn away so badly that there is a hole that can be seen as a 'U' in the pic.

I have attached another image that might show this a bit clearer.

Four of my scopes are fitted with electric focusers:

Megrez 90; Meade 127 APO; MN190 and the Tak.

Only the Tak has a problem.

The Tak was horizontal during testing and no amount of adjustment to the focuser made any difference.

The other question remains: why is there a black outline around the worn area?

The worry is, of course, that if this much damage has been done in only a short period, how much worse is it going to be later?

regards,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1689[1].jpg)
136.1 KB183 views

Last edited by Clancy Lane; 04-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Phil, I did not say the focuser was stiffer than normal, I said it was stiffer than I liked it to be, and asked if it was possible to slacken it off. The email reply I got from Japan suggested I send it back to them to change the type of grease in the focuser, or alternatively fit a micro-focuser (which is what I did)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Thanks Larry!

I have removed the wording.

regards,

Phil

Last edited by Clancy Lane; 04-10-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Update

Lewis came by today and inspected the focuser.

His opinion was that the black line could indicate that a fault in the focuser casting had been noticed during assembly and the casting was then further machined in an attempt to rectify the fault.

We then loaded up the focuser with the reducer and the STF8300.

Using the manual control, the focuser moved outwards smoothly.

When moving inwards, the focuser would bind, severely, if further out.

I am sending the focuser to Claude for appraisal and rectification.

So far, from all the replies I have received, mine is the only focuser not performing as it should.

regards,

Phil
Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I concur with what Phil has reported. I hypothesize there lays a problem with the teflon tensioning pad on top of the drawtube - it is either deformed or cracked. White scoring/abrasion marks are evident in the sandblast chrome finish to the drawtube at the top under the teflon pad. No attempt was made to remove the focuser from the PTA to check, and nor were the 3 factory lacquer sealed tensioner grub screws tampered with.

The teflon pad would seem to be thrusting the drawtube to some extent. It would appear that the trailing section of the teflon pad (that closest to the OTA) is pitched DOWN (and the leading edge vice-versa), allowing free outward travel (and slipping under weight despite the lock screw being ALMOST cinched locked), but binding inward travel.

I believe this to be a simple fix or replacement. If it were my telescope, I would attempt this myself, but it is not, so that is not my call.

I DON'T think the remedied pinion cradle in the casting has any effect on this whatsoever, but Takahashi may have forgotten to re-adjust the 3 tensioning grub screws AFTER their QC remedial work. I believe the onus lies squarely with Takahashi.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Paul Haese

I have a 102 and have had it for 7 years. It has done numerous automated imaging runs I the last 3 years and does not exhibit that sort of wear or damage. It got loose about 6 months ago but still was focusing until it got so loose that it slipped totally. Even then it did not get that worn.

In my focusor there is not Teflon, so I don't know where that comes from.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
jamespierce (James)

believe it or not we have a complete spare focuser for a TSA120 ... we put a feather touch on ours. It's currently packed in a box to move house, but if you need a replacement in december let us know and we can come to a deal.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Thanks James,

That is very handy to know.

The focuser has been sent to Takahashi in Japan for assessment and, I have insisted, replacement.

The attached image shows what a Tak 2.7" focuser should be able to handle.

I will let you know the outcome.

regards,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TOA130-Setup.jpg)
179.8 KB127 views
Click for full-size image (Focuser man.jpg)
65.4 KB123 views

Last edited by Clancy Lane; 09-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
believe it or not we have a complete spare focuser for a TSA120 ... we put a feather touch on ours. It's currently packed in a box to move house, but if you need a replacement in december let us know and we can come to a deal.
Can I ask why did you change what I thought would be a pretty good Tak focuser for the Feathertouch and did you notice much difference? Cheers
Old 17-10-2014, 11:20 PM
dweller25

The 14 year old Tak focuser on my FS-128 had EXACTLY the same problem. I have now replaced it with a Feathertouch.
Old 18-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Thanks for the info dweller,

Have you any idea why the focuser was in that condition and did you approach Takahashi?

The focus unit has been sent back to Japan for inspection and, I hope, replacement.

I'm informed it takes about a month to go through the process.

The Feathertouch is a great option but I would like to keep the scope original.

regards,

Phil
Old 19-10-2014, 11:35 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Sorry to hear your woes. Hope you get it fixed soon. After much research I bought my first Takahashi last week - a Mewlon 250CRS. Last night I used it for the first time & it's electric focuser doesn't work.

I'm sure it's sheer bad luck but after 18 years of coming from a Vixen (VC200L), this definitely isn't a good introduction to a renown brand.
Old 19-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

That is sad to hear Sean!

At least you are close to the source for rectification but it is going to take some time as they inform me they are very busy with repairs.

Maybe Takahashi needs to update their Quality Control inspection methods before the scope leaves the factory.

At one time, in my role as warehouse manager for Roland Musical Instruments, every item was unpacked and tested prior to shipment to retailers around Australia....in 3 years not one item was returned as faulty on receipt by the retailer.

On the other hand, I have probably purchased about 20 scopes over the years and I think I can say that everyone of them had some fault that needed rectification.

I even bought a Canon 60Da that had an ant's nest in the flash unit!

good luck,

Phil
Old 19-10-2014, 02:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The joys of electronic units - one reason I won't automate anything! I keep all mine purely mechanical and shy away from anything that has electronics as standard issue.

None of my Taks has any mechanical issue that I can see or feel. Here's fingers crossed the incoming TSA-102S is trouble free...
Old 19-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Sorry to hear your woes. Hope you get it fixed soon. After much research I bought my first Takahashi last week - a Mewlon 250CRS. Last night I used it for the first time & it's electric focuser doesn't work.

I'm sure it's sheer bad luck but after 18 years of coming from a Vixen (VC200L), this definitely isn't a good introduction to a renown brand.
Ok this isn't reassuring. I am/was contemplating a Mewlon 300CRS but had reservations because of the negative reports regarding the focusing system which also plagued the CCA-250. I thought they had fixed the problem.

And before the lynch mob get on the band wagon this is not a dig at Takahashi...all my gear (FSQ-106N, FSQ-106ED, Mewlon 250, NJP, EM200) is or has been Takahashi.
Old 19-10-2014, 11:35 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Ok this isn't reassuring. I am/was contemplating a Mewlon 300CRS but had reservations because of the negative reports regarding the focusing system which also plagued the CCA-250. I thought they had fixed the problem.

And before the lynch mob get on the band wagon this is not a dig at Takahashi...all my gear (FSQ-106N, FSQ-106ED, Mewlon 250, NJP, EM200) is or has been Takahashi.
Argh, I'll need to retract my statement. It turns out that the electric focusing system needed a +/- "reset" and a fresh set of batteries (seems the shrink wrapped batteries supplied were under voltage).

After I mailed Yama-san of Starbase Akihabara, he recommended me to try that and it worked. Unfortunately my astronomy weekend was over and only managed to test it when I got home.

Faith restored with Takahashi again, faith in myself, down the drain.