Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which mount for my C8 ?
Poll Options
Which mount for my C8 ?
You can only choose 2 options to vote on.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Decide on mount for my C8 ?

Ok I decided to keep my old C8

So to many mounts to choose from, I have had the odd one or two in my day but today which would be best?
Not shaky, good with the binoviewer. More for visual,May take the odd photo of the moon! Don't really need "go to" and prefer not to heavy .

Scope will stored in shed so would like to lift without counter weights to observe quickly. Then into car for the odd trip away.

I did not put Celestron AVX in as I don't like the dec cord hanging of the side of mount! And I had a G5 once and did not like it much.

Budget 2.5k
Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I got an AZ-EQ6 for mine, especially bearing in mind that I wanted to co-mount a decent-sized guidescope, imaging gear, and leave plenty of margin. Plus it's the EQ mount that allows Alt-Az GOTO, with a smooth belt drive and dual encoders - what's not to like?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:17 PM
raymo

You stated yourself that your interest is mainly visual, and the mount
should be light enough to carry around without counterweights. The
HEQ5 or any other mount with similar load capacity would be fine. Why
would you buy a heavier duty mount such as an NEQ6, for hundreds of dollars more, when the lighter duty one would easily do the job. You can carry the HEQ5 with weights attached.[ 25kg] You'd have to be strong to attempt that with an NEQ6.[it's heavy enough without them].
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 11-07-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Yes but if a AZ -EQ6 is not much more to carry around would that not be better? I like to use higher power 200x plus and don't like mounts that wobble !
Just like to get peoples thoughts on what there using today. All the above mounts will work but I want to know who has what with a C8 and what works really well.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

An HEQ5pro is more than enough for a C8.....
and no wobbles.....
Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

HEQ5 is sufficient, but don't discount the AVX purely because of an external cable...it's coiled and hugs the mount (no clue why it had to be outside!), otherwise the mount is nicely finished, with adjustment knobs much more functional than the bog standard SW ones. Personally I prefer the Celestron software too, but be aware that the All Star for Southern Hemisphere is still in testing. The other thing in its favour is the captive power cord - it has a screw thread for the included cable (although any other 2.1mm will work too). It also has an additional AUX port.

The power cable on my EQ6 irritates me...it sticks out and dangles all over the shop getting in the way of the handset cord. Easy to fix, but a bit of thoughtless design.

EQ6 of either variety are significantly heavier.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

AZ-EQ6 has a captive (screw in) power cord too.

I can carry mine, either with the OTA attached and counterweights off, or OTA off and counterweights attached (but with both... a bit much!)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

The AZ-EQ6 can also be used in Alt-Az mode (with GoTo) making it much more comfortable for visual use. That, IMO, is its killer feature.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+ 1 for AZ-EQ6 simply because it's more flexible.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:11 PM
killswitch (Edison)

For visual, AZ-EQ6. Simply because theres no need to polar align and no awkward scope/diagonal angles.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 PM
raymo

The Az-EQ6 is much more expensive than an HEQ5; you could get several
decent eyepieces for the difference. I don't see enough pluses to justify
the extra cost. It's easy to plonk the tripod down accurately enough for visual use.
raymo
Old 12-07-2014, 08:01 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

To true , Raymo , I just plonk my HEQ5 down roughly south 99% of the time and get 1/2 an hours worth of good tracking even at high power in my C9.25 , and what a view ! such a great telescope , BTW my HEQ5 holds this scope easily but it is a CF model tho.
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
The Az-EQ6 is much more expensive than an HEQ5; you could get several
decent eyepieces for the difference. I don't see enough pluses to justify
the extra cost. It's easy to plonk the tripod down accurately enough for visual use.
raymo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20140130_023 (562x1000).jpg)
85.9 KB18 views

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 12-07-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I voted GPD2, but I am just slightly partial to that superb mount. Heck, it flings the VC200L around with consummate ease, can't see why a C8 would be any different.

On the otherhand, all the Sphinx variants have a distinct advantage with thelarger tubes because the mount's CoG is MUCH lower than other mounts (since they mount the motors UNDER the RA asix, making the motors part of the counterbalance system). Theonly downside to the older Sphinx's is the Starbook, but the new SXD2 etc have the Starbook Ten which is superb and walks all over Synscan.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Thanks for all the replies .
Brian your mount is nice but not the standard set up ! Your tripod makes a big difference from the standard one. So I'm sure you say it works well as it is I don't won't to spend extra on a tripod like that.
I know it's easy to align a scope up and view that is not my problem.

My boggle is to get the right mount to handle the C8 with binoviewing which can become a heavy set up. I think the AZ-Q6 would be good but if someone is using HEQ 5 like I would to use it and it performs well I would like to see photos and thoughts thanks.

Regards.
Dave
Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Hi Lewis ,
I can not afford the SXD2 but the SX2 maybe ! I know nothing of this mount but I do think very highly of vixen gear from years gone by.
I would like to know more about the SX2 and how I could set the C8 with this work ability wise ??

Research !

Thanks Dave .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I voted GPD2, but I am just slightly partial to that superb mount. Heck, it flings the VC200L around with consummate ease, can't see why a C8 would be any different.

On the otherhand, all the Sphinx variants have a distinct advantage with thelarger tubes because the mount's CoG is MUCH lower than other mounts (since they mount the motors UNDER the RA asix, making the motors part of the counterbalance system). Theonly downside to the older Sphinx's is the Starbook, but the new SXD2 etc have the Starbook Ten which is superb and walks all over Synscan.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
raymo

The standard HEQ5 mount tripod is solid and stable. I have a C-8, and it
handles it with contemptuous ease. I also have an 8" f/5 Newt with an
80mm finderscope/guide scope mounted on it, and electric focuser
and DSLR hanging off of it, and it's quite happy. The C-8 weighs less than
my 8" Newt, and is, of course, much shorter.
raymo
Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Paul Haese

Just want to say a big hello Dave. Long time no hear. So nice to hear you are about.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

I am a loyal devotee of the AZ-EQ6 but it's a bit of an overkill for a C8, unless you are thinking of larger/heavier scopes in the not-too-distant future.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:27 PM

David thanks for your kind words but on the tripod its a Telvue ash Gibralter tripod , its very stable but as said its not that the standard HEQ5 tripod is not sturdy , far from it , its very solid and for my C9.25 its more than enough .

I put the TV tripod under it to gain about 200mm extra height as I use this mount/tripod combo under my iStar 5 inch f8 refractor at nearly 1000mm in length compared to the CAT's 500mm length and the standard SW stainless steel tripod was to short and I had to sit on the ground to view the zenith , hence the taller ( without loosing stability ) TV ash tripod .

No a HEQ5 mount is plenty for a C8/9.25 CAT , I use Binoviewers as well and my HEQ5 does not even feel the extra weight on both my CAT and long (read, heavy) refractor .
Here it is if interested .

I too like the Vixen mounts , very smooth and well made as Lewis says and have the GP's smaller brother , the 'Super Polaris' under my Takahashi Sky90 and its perfect for this OTA , I have even put my iStar on it and it took it without complaint but again the tripod is to short for the long refractor , not the weight , very nice mounts also those Vixen's .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Thanks for all the replies .
Brian your mount is nice but not the standard set up ! Your tripod makes a big difference from the standard one. So I'm sure you say it works well as it is I don't won't to spend extra on a tripod like that.
I know it's easy to align a scope up and view that is not my problem.

My boggle is to get the right mount to handle the C8 with binoviewing which can become a heavy set up. I think the AZ-Q6 would be good but if someone is using HEQ 5 like I would to use it and it performs well I would like to see photos and thoughts thanks.

Regards.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20140606_005 (1000x563).jpg)
55.1 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (WP_20140606_052 (1000x563).jpg)
62.6 KB24 views
Old 12-07-2014, 07:56 PM

David , I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread with refractors , but this photo shows the height difference in a standard HEQ5 and my mount on its TV tripod , My observing buddy Brian yes another one , owns the lovely SR 115mm triplet and its 805mm fl needs the tripod almost fully extended and at this height is still rock solid . oh yes his scope is solid and HEAVY ! so well made , to give an idea Brian is 5ft6 inches tall and is standing by his scope here .

By comparisim my iStar with its 1000mm fl needs more height seen here and is about 150mm taller than Brian's standard tripod but the TV tripod is only extended by 200 or so mm's and has an easy 300mm more , hope this makes sense and helps .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20140606_009 (1000x563).jpg)
59.4 KB22 views

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 12-07-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: wrong aperture