Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Mountain_Wanderer

Skywatcher Heritage 5 inch Dobsonian telescope

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner on a budget and am looking to get my first telescope.

My search has taken me to the Skywatcher Heritage 5 inch Dobsonian telescope.

It's cheap, compact and should be easy to use.

Can I please get your thoughts on it if you have managed to use/own one?

The aperature is 5 inches which I feel is the minimum I'd need to see the main deep sky objects at a decent level of detail. Is that true? Can 5 inches get a decent view of the wonders of the deep sky?

Any other comments are welcome?

Scope is currently for sale at OzScopes for $269. How long do the OzScopes sales usually last?

Thanks.
Old 24-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

I've got this and it's a great little scope. If you haven't used a scope before the views of the moon are terrific, Jupiter with bands and moons, Saturn and it's rings, Messiers and other DSOs notching up. It performs brilliantly for its size, just be realistic and remember it is only 5 and a bit inches.

Generally we'll put together apart from the focusser being a bit sloppy. This can be easily fixed with plumbers tape but this has to be replaced around every 3-4 sessions. The provided eyepieces are OK until you can better.

Also remember that it is low and you'll need a platform for it (unless you want to sit on the ground). On my balcony or in the garden is fine as you can use a table but you'll have to rethink this before going to a dark site. I use a stool for it and have also been looking at maybe adapting the cats scratching pole which has a wide base and top, I don't know how the cat will take that though.

But I personally love the scope and would definitely recommend it if you can't get an 8" or bigger.

Edit: you can also pick it up with one hand, take it outside and be ready for viewing in a minute!
Are you sure you can't get it cheaper, I only paid $240 for mine a couple of months ago by looking around.
Old 24-06-2014, 02:04 PM
astro744

You will have to shroud the upper half of tube or use at a very dark site.

If you are on a budget may I suggest you save a bit longer for a 6" f8 Dobsonian or better still an 8" f6 Dob. It will last you a lifetime.

My first telescope was a 6" f5.5 EQ which I still have and use as a wide rich field Dob. An 8" has nearly twice the light gathering capability as a 6". I wouldn't go less than 6" in a Newtonian reflector. A good quality 4" refractor would be an alternative but the low cost short versions do exhibit significant chromatic aberration which bother some people and not others.
Old 24-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I agree. For just $30 more you get a 6" GSO Dob from Andrews, another $150 gets you an 8" Dob.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 24-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

I agree and for a further $180 you could get a 10", for anther $150 you can get a 12".
Old 24-06-2014, 02:56 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Another vote for waiting a little longer and saving the small exta pennies for an 8 or 10"er.
I think Andrews offer free shipping within Australia too, at least they used to.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Mountain_Wanderer

Nice advice, fellas. The thing is, I could always spend that little bit more, and again and again and I'll end up blowing my budget. My dream is to get a 12 inch collapsible dob with goto but I don't have a lazy $1000+ to spare. if I keep waiting, like I have been the last few yearsm then I'll never get a scope!

Anyway, the attraction of this little 5 inch collapsible dob is that I can take it places, along with my kid, dog and all the other crap you pack in a car for a holiday. Plus it's cheapish and seems to do a decent job for the bogan amateur.

here are a few specs I pulled off the OzScopes website:

Specifications
Diameter: 130mm
Focal Length: 650
F/Ratio: f/5

Includes:
- Red Dot Finder
- 2 interchangeable eyepieces (25mm and 10mm)

Features of the SkyWatcher Heritage 5" Dobsonian Telescope
- Small, Table Top Collapsible Dobsonian
- Extremely portable: Tube collapses to only 14.5" long. Total weight less than 7kg
- Collapsible truss-tube design, no disassembling and collimation required between uses
- Aluminized paraboloidal mirrors, providing sharp and detailed images
- Enough light gathering power to provide outstanding resolution and bright image
- Great all-around astronomical viewing performance
- 5 years Skywatcher limited warranty

Are any of the above parts/accessories dodgy or do they look decent?

Would I need to buy anything else immediately to make it all work properly? Light shroud is one thing I will need to make. What about the finderscope? Is it ok? Is an F5 focal ratio ok?

Monstar, where did you get your scope from for the lower price?
Old 24-06-2014, 03:35 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

It is a very nice little scope. I don't think I have read a single negative review of it yet.
I have just bought another scope (a refractor) in addition to the SW Heritage 130p mainly because I would like to attach my DSLR camera and the problem with that dob and its focusser it that it is difficult to attach a camera and focus it because the focusser is not very stable with something as heavy as a DSLR camera attached... Plus you have to "rotate" the focusser. I would also like to get closer to the moon.
But you can take nice shots in afocal mode too.
Apart from that it is very nice (the finderscope is decent too) and you can travel with it, as you said. For a big dob not even two hands are enough. You will need a trolley as big dobs are very heavy!
PS: I bought mine from Ozscopes too and paid $245, but it was a Christmas sale.
PPS: Oh, you won't be able to use it for the sun because of its collapsible structure, even with a solar filter.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 24-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 24-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

Mountain-Wanderer I'm pretty sure mine was from ozscopes too (can't really remember where I got it though ) as I've got a voucher from them here you might be able to try. It's just on a leaflet from oz-hut which i think is just an umbrella company for others including oz-scopes.

It just reads:

Coupon code: 5OFFOZ
$5 off all orders for all stores
Old 24-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Mountain_Wanderer

thanks mate.

hey is it worth getting a collimator too? If this scope goes out of wack then I'll need to adjust it somehow.
Old 24-06-2014, 05:52 PM
astro744

I still say 6" f8 and you wont need a collimator as you can do it by eye at f8 reasonably accurately. Also 1200mm focal length will give you 120x with a 10mm eyepiece meaning you can get a good image size for planets and you wont be spending money on a Barlow or shorter focal length eyepieces too soon.

Even if you go with the one you've mentioned you can still do a pretty good collimation by eye and you can save yourself the extra money. I collimated my 6" f5.5 for many years with a simple film canister and by eye. For critical fine tuning I used a bright star and tweaked the primary knobs until I got concentric rings. I have a laser collimator now but hardly use it as I prefer the star method.

However if you are after something smaller and more portable for travel then either the one you mentioned (since a couple of users say its OK) or consider a short refractor but note anything with a short focal length will need short focal length eyepieces to show planets at a good image scale. Short telescopes do excel at low power wide field viewing if that is what you are after.
Old 24-06-2014, 05:56 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

you can make your own collimator from a plastic cylinder (such as old film canister -which are harder to find)
other thing you can do is place a wanted Ad for a used 3-5mm plossl -unscrew the ep & remove the glass -makes a great little sight tube

you could always get a bigger scope but if you're looking to start out the 5" is quick, easy & small -it will hopefully get you hooked
Old 24-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

My Heritage came well collimated and stayed that way until the missus knocked it with the vacuum and put the secondary slightly off which meant I had to do it for the first time. I used a film can and it was easy enough. The primary has got nice big knobs and having a short tube makes it easy too as you can adjust the primary without moving from the eyepeice. I haven't had to re-do it since.

And just to reiterate it is a good scope but as others have said if you can get a bigger aperture go for that.
Old 25-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Mountain_Wanderer

Can anyone give me an idea as to how well you can see the main deep sky objects compared to say an 8 inch aperature. I know there is a difference, but is 5 inches still pretty decent?

What do galaxies look like in a 5 inch aperature? Any detail?
Old 25-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Mountain_Wanderer

Oh, and another question - do the eyepieces provided give enough magnification or perhaps I should get a further eyepiece or Barlow?
Old 25-06-2014, 09:00 AM
astro744

I would consider the 130mm, f5 with 650mm focal length to be what is called a 'Rich Field Telescope' (RFT). This type of telescope excels in low power wide field viewing of star fields such as can be found in the Sagittarius or Carina regions.

This telescope will perform best with a quality wide field (say 65-70 deg) low power (approx 20-25mm) eyepiece.
Old 25-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Mountain_Wanderer

One other question, what sort of detail can you see of mars, Jupiter and Saturn? Good colour? Features?
Old 25-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

Hi MW,

Firstly you asked about DSOs. Well yes you can see them but they live up to the name Faint Fuzzies. I had no idea what to expect, much the same as you. What I found of help is sketches as photos have always been played with and the camera sensor can hold more light than the human eye. Have a look at the sketches on here and google some images with something like "DSO sketches seen with small telescope". When I looked at these sketches I found that I had already seen some (M3 and M13 if my memory is correct) but thought they were some kind of whispy cloud.

Now planets. Well Mars. Is not all that, but I found this is common through reading here and elsewhere. Most of the time for me it is just very bright, although you can see some brownish tinged areas.

Jupiter is great, easy to spot with its four main moons. I see reddish brown, and whitish bands.

Saturn is fantastic. The first thing you notice is the gap between the planet and the rings. The more you watch the better it looks. I don't really notice much of the planet but am sure with averted vision I can see a black line of the Cassini unless it is my mind saying I can see it. Also something I take to be a moon.

As for EPs I wouldnt buy a barlow if you're going to use it with the stock EPs, but you are going to want more power for the planets. I bought a 6mm plossl (I think, thats for another post lol). I've read about eye relief problems with shorter focal length plossl eyepieces but I'm good with the 6mm.
Old 25-06-2014, 03:07 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

I love this scope. I don't own one but wish I did. I used one of the very first models to enter NZ (through Darrell Ramsey). The scope is fantastic, you could see some of the pink in the Lagoon Nebula and pink and blue of the Trifid. Within reason, it is an excellent scope. It is frankly impossible to beat the portability of a collapsible 5" F/5 dob.

Yes and good 6" or 8" scope will show you closer views. Brightness is limited by the exit pupil size though so talk of "seeing more" is really about getting more resolution and image detail in fainter objects, or resolution and magnification on planets.

Remember that if you are just starting out with a first scope that having a wider field of view makes finding your way around the sky a zillion times easier. That's why we recommend beginners start with binoculars.

You already like the sound of it and several people here have said it's great. Just do yourself a favour and buy one at a good price. I'm sure it'll have good resale value if and when you decide to buy a bigger scope.

cheers,
Cam
Old 25-06-2014, 03:21 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

A tiny additional detail.... We are all impressed by pics of DSOs, but you won't see them like that through any scope. They are the results of frames taken over several hours and then stacked in a program like RegiStax.