Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-06-2014, 04:11 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Blue Mountains - Katoomba Airfield June 28th

Hi all,

The Airfield is being made available to us on the 28th of June. Many thanks Rod!

This year so far has been a miserable one. I for one am very photon starved and am in need of a good photon fix.

If you haven't been to the Airfield before, you are most welcome to come. Whether you have a scope or not, you are welcome.

Access is via Medlow Bath, the first village west of Katoomba. Turn into Station Pde at Medlow's only set of lights and then left into Rutland. Rutland turns into Grand Canyon drive. The Airfield is 4km from the Rutland turn off, with the last 3km being unsealed. This unsealed section was graded a year ago, so it could be showing some erosion ruts - take it easy here.

The Airfield is totally BYO power, food, drinks, etc. There is no knockoff time, it's up to you when you've had enough. We are welcome to stay overnight, and the office had a number of sofas to crash on.

Please remember that it gets very cold up there in winter. Come prepared for the cold. There is a combustion heater in the office building, which becomes the center of the universe It is a very welcome warm up spot!

This is an informal gathering. We all share the cost of a gift to Rod of his preferred brew. The hat gets passed around for this.

These get togethers are a great chance to ask questions if you are new to astro, with plenty of people willing to help out. The Airfield is at 1000m elevation which helps a great deal with reducing the affects of Sydney's light pollution and 2 hours drive from the CBD.

Heading to the Airfield

Note that some natsav systems call the Airfield, Katoomba Airport.

The first pic below shows the route to the Airfield coming from Katoomba. The second pic shows the way to the observing slab on the main runway.

On entering the Airfield, keep the left hand track - there is no access to the runway by using the two other tracks. Head past the 'No Entry' sign and turn right up the hill past the various buildings to the main runway. The set up slab is immediately on the left.

Mental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (route to Katoomba Airfield.jpg)
146.5 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (katoomba airfield.jpg)
203.1 KB16 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 19-06-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 17-06-2014, 06:17 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

If I try not to get excited maybe I can actually make this one!
Old 17-06-2014, 07:39 PM
jasonghaby (Jason)

Count me in. It has been way too long without a dark sky. Will be my first time at the airfield. very excited!!
Old 17-06-2014, 07:40 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Count me in...
Old 17-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Me too...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:00 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I'll be there. Weather permitting. I'll do an all-nighter. Sunset to near sunrise.

I want a decent view of Venus.
Old 18-06-2014, 11:28 AM
RB (Andrew)

I'd love to visit you guys one day (night), love to see what it's like up there.
It's a beautiful area.

Old 18-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Don't forgot to bring a hot water bottle to put in your eyepiece case. When your eyepieces are warm enough you can put it in your jacket. Because it will be cold up there.

Think I'll bring my cooker and kettle for hot water for drinks and hot water bottles.
Old 18-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Wavytone

Hooray.. hope this awesome weather continues !
Old 18-06-2014, 08:50 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Hi guys ,I live in Medlow bath, and would like to join your gathering.The road to the air strip is still a little corrugated,but as long as you keep your speed down its fine.Also,if any one is interested and wants to turn up earlier(if permitted),I will bring along my Lunt DS 60 H alpha scope and 80mm/Lunt solar wedge white light setup for some Solar observing.(hopefully others can bring their solar gear as well).

Thanks

GUS.K

Last edited by GUS.K; 18-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:34 PM
AstroJason (Jason)

Count me in too!
Old 19-06-2014, 07:34 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Gus, you are most welcome to come.

One thing, for anyone that arrives early, announce your arrival to Rod, the Airfield manager. Wondering strangers at the Airfield are not received well - there are expensive aircraft there. You just need to say you are there for the astro session. Once Rod knows your intentions, he won't leave you alone for a chat, Rod is a true gentleman.

Like Ardian, I too use a hot water bottle to keep my eyepieces warm in their case. I suggest you use a hot water bottle cosie or wrap the bottle in a towel so to soften the heat directly on the eyepieces. If the glass is warm from the start the eyepiece will be able to resist dew for much longer. A dew strap cannot heat a big lump of an eyepiece in the cold. But if the heat is in the eyepiece from the start, the heating strap will maintain the heat level in the eyepiece.

I've added pics and information on getting to the Airfield to the first post.
Old 19-06-2014, 08:24 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Have cleared the calendar and weather permitting will be there. Don't forget your thermals, will be pretty chilly
Old 20-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Sold! Now, can I bring me tent...?
Old 20-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Wavytone

Enjoying a crisp clear night outside Armidale... Really, really dark sky... Can't wait to get the scopes out at Katoomba
Old 23-06-2014, 11:41 AM
FieldsofLaura (Laura)

Hi All.

I have never been to one of your star gazing groups but would love to attend this Saturday, would this be ok?

If yes what time do you usually arrive. I don't have any star gazing equipment, again is this ok or is it recommended to be equipped with all the gear?

Thanks

Laura
Old 23-06-2014, 11:54 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldsofLaura View Post
Hi All.

I have never been to one of your star gazing groups but would love to attend this Saturday, would this be ok?

If yes what time do you usually arrive. I don't have any star gazing equipment, again is this ok or is it recommended to be equipped with all the gear?

Thanks

Laura
Hey Laura,

Your more than welcome to come along. Bring $5 though. Its the price of contribution as we gift the Airfield owner for access to the airfield in Beer. Literally Beer. We all chip in for the costs of a slab.

Probably best to arrive before sunset. Most of us will, so you can check out our gear in the day light.

You don't need to bring any astro equipment of your own. Nearly all of us are primarily visual observers. We also have a wide variety of instruments for you to look through. You will actually be spoiled for choice. We all love to share the views through our equipment. If you want to discuss what equipment to buy for yourself we can all share our experience with you.

I would recommend warm cloths and a nice chair to sit in. Like a comfy foldable camping chair. I guarantee you will want a chair and just stair up into the night sky and watch the galaxy center pass overhead. We all do! A pair of binoculars wont do you wrong either. Don't have to be expensive or large. Even small binoculars perform will at the airfield if you have a pair. If you don't that's OK. We have binoculars you can look through as well.

Well- I don't have binoculars because I'm an idiot and broke mine! But, other people bring theirs.

Look forward to meet see you there. Also, check this thread on the day to see if weather is permitting and if the event is still on.

By the way. When I suggest warm cloths. Like ski clothing. 3-4 layer type stuff. You might not need all the layers but better to have it and not need it then need it ant not have them.

Last edited by AG Hybrid; 23-06-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Wavytone

Hi Laura,

As per Adrian there will be plenty of scopes to go round, that's never a problem. You will need to be prepared for temps around zero; full-length thermal underwear under jeans, woollens, warm jacket, gloves and a beanie are a good idea. Alternively ski pants and ski jacket, if you have them.

One advantage of being well-padded up is that if it's a beautiful clear night you can just lie on the ground and look up.

Optional accessories:

- star atlas, planisphere (or an app on a smartphone/tablet)
- thermos of tea/coffee,
- something to sit on like a folding camp chair.

There is a cabin nearby to warm up in if you get really cold.
Old 23-06-2014, 01:43 PM
FieldsofLaura (Laura)

Thank you for your very thorough reply Adrian.

Fingers crossed the weather holds out as this sounds awesome and I would love to learn more about star gazing from you guys.

Noted it is a $5pp donation for beer! Also noted to arrive before dusk.

I was thinking lots of layers, folding chairs and a sleeping bag to sit in in case it is completely freezing.

I'll keep checking on here for updates.

Thank you once again and look forward to meeting everyone.
Old 23-06-2014, 01:47 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Bugger. I am double booked - taking my daughter to a show at Luna Park at 4pm.

It's almost a year since I did any observing at a dark location