Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-11-2010, 04:56 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Weather Obs 14 Nov in the eclipse path

If the eclipse was today (14 Nov), it would have been seen at Julatten, not seen at Mt Molloy and Maryfarms but visible at Mt Carbine. I drove through Julatten at 6:38 and saw the sun through thin cloud. There was cloud above me which was moist air moving in from the sea that was banked up against the ranges. As I drove through Mt Molloy the sun was obscured by those clouds and it did not reappear above the clouds over the range (Mt Lewis) until after I had passed Maryfarms. The sun was clear of the thick cloud but still in thin cloud by the time I arrived at Mt Carbine. It is clear that the coastal ranges have a significant cloud forming effect in this area and at least on this occasion Mt Carbine was far enough west.
I know from others that the sun was apparently visible at eclipse time from about Oak Beach south including Cairns but there was a thick cloud to the east from about Port Douglas north. So Port Douglas would probably have missed out. I do not personally know of any Tablelands observations today.
I will post a complete summary of my weather observations for the week when I return to Bris.
Terry
Old 17-11-2010, 12:05 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
A heads-up on those who might think about getting in or out of Port Douglas
on the morning of Nov 14th 2012.

A marathon has been planned which kicks off at eclipse time and is expected to
attract 2000 runners and 700 support crew -
http://www.tourismportdouglas.com.au...20.3299.0.html
Note carefully the map of the run at the bottom of the page which is to start the moment the
sun starts to re-emerge.

Those familiar with the area will be aware that movement on the roads around Port
Douglas can sometimes be slow at the best of times, but it might not be unrealistic to
anticipate such phenomena as officials wearing safety vests and bearing witches hats,
which they may decide to inconveniently place between you and where you might want
to go on the morning, should you need to be mobile.
Great..whose brainiac idea was that?
Old 17-11-2010, 10:07 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

2012 Eclipse Marathon

The eclipse marathon is just one of the things we will have to be aware of and take into account in our planning.
But hopefully it will have minimal impact on eclipse observing. It is planned to start at C3, so any road closures should only need to occur well after any serious eclipse observer is well in place and set up. I think that if you are planning to watch the eclipse in that area, and are considering relocating within 15 minutes of the eclipse, as Gary suggests the general congestion in the area greatly accentuated by eclipse traffic will make that very difficult if not impossible whether there is a marathon or not.
The marathon then moves quickly away from the traffic areas and road closures will likely be removed within say half an hour.
The race returns to Port Douglas towards the end of the two hour plus event so again is not likely to have any serious impact. I understand that they have found a way to cross the Captain Cook highway on the way back without closing it.
Personnally I think that if another few thousand people get to experience a total eclipse only because they are there for another reason, then that's fantastic. The more the merrier.
Terry
Old 29-11-2010, 06:00 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Weather observations Nov 2010 for the eclipse in 2012

I was in the path of the 2012 total solar eclipse for a few days either side of 14 November this year (10th to 17th). Observations of the weather from about sunrise at 0535, until eclipse time of 0638 were mildly encouraging. These observations were from the coastal areas (on 4 days) and from the coast to just west of the ranges (on 3 days).
For observations over the 7 mornings, visibility at eclipse time was broadly as follows:
1 day generally clear skies but with patchy cloud in some areas (probability of seeing eclipse say 85%)
4 days mostly visible through thin clouds but some areas in cloud (say 65%)
1 day much of the area cloudy but some areas with breaks (say 40%)
1 day only a few lucky ones would have seen the eclipse (say 10%)
Average say about 50 - 60%
Chance of seeing the eclipse would have been improved by some judicious relocation.

Some weather patterns that were observed:

The weather was certainly more humid than the same time last year. Last year in the eclipse path, I experienced about 8 out of 10 days as good days. Last year there were several days of clear sunny weather. This year there were none. When it was clearer this year, there was usually thin high cloud present that would have reduced the view of the corona a little.

The weather along the coast often started at pre dawn with cloud generally off shore and quite thick but typically no higher than about 8 degrees (sun at eclipse will be at 14 degrees), and little cloud overhead. The cloud generally broke up after dawn with the cloud moving towards shore. A low bank of cloud often remained and the sun was above this bank usually by between about 0600 and 0630. Cloud cover generally increased across the sky after eclipse time as the day started to warm.

There were often local weather disturbances. On two mornings there was quite thick local cloud over the capeGrafton headland such that Cairns and the southern areas of the Cairns northern beaches would have been seriously affected. On the next two mornings the Cairns area was clearer and there was thick cloud (and rain) in the Port Douglas area. On a later morning, cloud returned to the CapeGrafton area.

On perhaps half of the mornings there was some cloud up against the coastal ranges at dawn, but typically well away from the area of the sun when viewing from a beach location. This did not appear to change greatly up until eclipse time. On three mornings I drove from the coast at sunrise over the ranges (on each of the three separate routes). What I observed when there was cloud up against the coastal ranges, was that in the Atherton area (which is generally quite high at about 800m elevation) the cloud appeared to extend further to the west (beyond Atherton); whereas around Mareeba and further north (which is generally lower elevation at around 400m) as the wind descended from the coastal ranges, the cloud appeared to dissipate more quickly. On the morning I that traveled on the Mulligan highway west of Mount Molloy, the cloud had dissipated reasonably quickly such that the eclipse would have been seen at Mount Carbine through thin cloud.

These observations are from the east coastal areas. On checking the cloud images for these days, on some days the inland and west coast would have fared better, but there are of course difficulties in escaping very far to the west. One sobering thing is that a colleague of mine who was in the path area for the three days after I left said that it was generally cloudy and rain at times over the whole coastal area for the three days.

Currently we have a La Niņa weather pattern established and this year has been the wettest we have experienced in Queensland for many years. There is a reasonable chance that the pattern will have reversed and El Niņo will be back by 2012.

I am not suggesting that we can read too much into these observations. This is just one sample (as were my observations last year). And if there is a reversal of La Niņa/ El Niņo, this year may not be very relevant.
Regards,
Terry
Old 29-11-2010, 07:37 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Thanks Terry - useful information!
Old 29-11-2010, 08:41 PM
h0ughy (David)

wondereful research Terry
Old 30-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Rob_K

I've been looking at other locations. The edge of the eclipse path lies 70km off Norfolk Island, and totality there would last a full minute longer than when it leaves coastal Australia. The downside would be ship-based viewing, not suited particularly well to eclipse photography (so when is a short cruise a downside??? ). I was on the island from 12-19 Nov and the weather was generally partly cloudy (broken cloud), with a high chance of seeing the morning eclipse. The cloud itself was principally gathering about the island and out to sea the skies were much clearer with a very high chance of seeing the eclipse.

I discussed the coming eclipse with a few locals (who were unaware of it) and they seemed to think it was feasible to get people out there. NB you'd have to carefully vet any ship's crew - bit of a history of mutiny there! ATM Norfolk Island is reasonably expensive to get to, but they are currently in the process of untangling their special self-governing status as an Australian territory and accepting a bail-out package from Canberra that will see them become a more 'normal' part of Australia. Locals anticipate that this will enable cut-price airlines like Tiger & Jetstar to enter the market, perhaps by 2012 - Norfolk Is is a lot closer to Melbourne than Cairns.

Anyway, something to think about. Sea-borne north of New Zealand would also be an option - must check because I think there may already be a few things on offer there....

Cheers -
Old 26-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Spacedout

Gary

hi all, i am trying to figure out a good place to stay and would like to book as early as i can, so please keep the info flowing. will have to fly from sydney so would prefere airport to land at, ( no parachuting please )
Old 26-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Liz

Very tricky to decide Spacedout. Do you go to cairns itself, north, south, inland????? Weather could be kind (or unkind) to all of us.
There are a few of us staying at Mt Carbine caravan park, inland a little.
Who knows though?????
Old 27-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Spacedout

Gary

Thanks Alien Female,
Mt Carbine sounds good, I have found a decent map @ nasa http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...13Tgoogle.html
hope to see you there, thanks for info

Last edited by Spacedout; 27-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 17-01-2011, 03:19 AM
dot.bot

Height of Sun viewing over mountains

Nice to find some discussion on this eclipse. I was planning a trip to Cairns from the US specifically for this event. But I was very concerned, besides weather, that the sun would not be high enough on the horizon during the eclipse, especially with the western mountains reducing time.

Does anyone know how high the sun will be at 5:45AM-5:47AM (time of eclipse?) I have sunrise noted at 4:50AM so it should crest the hills within 60 minutes for sure.

Thanks you for any advise.

Scott
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM
cyclone

the eclipse will be 37 days before the summer solstice, therefor 37 days after is end of January.
have a look at this webcam for approx height above horizon.
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/webcam3.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM
space oddity

eclipse

Eclipse will be low on the horizon, only about 15 degrees at totality
, so viewing on the coast or on the range looking east is what you want. Inland, eg Mareeba will have the mountains interfering with totality. I have heard that sea fog is an issue at this time of the year, so Green Island may not be the best spot, although I have every intention of heading there before or after the eclipse for some snorkeling and underwater coral photography.
Port Douglas region will be affected by the marathon. I have emailed them with my concerns, but no reply. I find it a bit of a w@#k that they are just thinking of the novelty of having their marathon starting at the return of the sun from behind the moon. Perhaps more emails should be sent to them to point out their folly and potential for eye damage in the non-astro spectator and competitor ranks.
One of my main issues is that my son is doing the HSC at this time which limits how early we can fly up and get settled in.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Excellent site, with discussion about the weather and possible viewing locations.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~jander/...tse12intro.htm

Lots of great info.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Paul Haese

We are going to stay on the coast for this one. I lived in Cairns for 14 months during 89-90 period. The chances of no cloud at all are slim no matter where you travel. If there is any rain in the days before the eclipse the roads further west will be slippery and present a danger to everyone travelling them.

I have looked back at the conditions over the last 5 years on that particular day and it looked as though 3 days out of 5 were clear with some mild cloud off the coast at that time of the morning. Remembering of course that any cloud build up due to the the presence of the sun is nil at that time of morning so every thing relies on the conditions the day before and over night. Our villa is right on the beach and if nothing else it will be a lovely morning event on the beach.

For those that have never seen an eclipse and want to ensure you do. Might I suggest you take a cruise further along the track. Your chances will be greater of seeing the eclipse. Land based observation is going to be 50/50 overall but a cruise will almost certainly get you a view.

BTW if it is your first eclipse forget about trying to take too many photographs. Watch the eclipse through your eyes. You miss out on so much just by looking through the view finder of the camera. Ensure you look around and experience the little things like the 360 degree sunset, the birds roosting, the look of the corona near maximum and the visible prominences and the magenta sky. Your first eclipse is the one you remember the best and wasting it by trying to get bracketted shots or fiddling with equipment is going to waste precious views. From what I have read from other eclipse chasers and from my own experience it takes 3-4 eclipses to get everything right for imaging. So why not just take the odd shot and not worry. 2 minutes goes really quickly.

Anyway, cloud or not it will once again be magical to be in the shadow of the moon. I have a good feeling again about seeing it, so maybe 3rd time is a charm. For me each time I have had a good feeling and each time we have seen the eclipse. Go figure.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post

Watch the eclipse through your eyes. You miss out on so much just by looking through the view finder of the camera. Ensure you look around and experience the little things like the 360 degree sunset, the birds roosting, the look of the corona near maximum and the visible prominences and the magenta sky. Your first eclipse is the one you remember the best and wasting it by trying to get bracketted shots or fiddling with equipment is going to waste precious views.
Cant wait Paul ... our Astronomy Group are booked in up at Mt Carbine Caravan Park, but I know the chances of it being cloudy are pretty high.
Will still be exciting to witness the darkness descend.
The last one I remember was in victoria in the 70s when I was at school.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Paul Haese

Yeah I think that was 1976. I tried to convince my dad to drive me to Mt Gambier but the partial in Adelaide was pretty interesting all the same. Just the barest of slivers, at 0.93 magnitude.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Rob_K

Yep, 1976. Was working in far west NSW and doubt that I would have even heard about it (no radio, TV, newspapers). Trying to make up for it now, LOL, roll on 2012! 2017 looks good too - continental United States, what a party that would be! Have eclipse-nutter friends in Oregon, not far from the eclipse path. Indonesia March 2016 is a possibility but probably monsoon affected.

Cheers -
Old 13-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post

For those that have never seen an eclipse and want to ensure you do. Might I suggest you take a cruise further along the track. Your chances will be greater of seeing the eclipse. Land based observation is going to be 50/50 overall but a cruise will almost certainly get you a view.

BTW if it is your first eclipse forget about trying to take too many photographs. Watch the eclipse through your eyes. You miss out on so much just by looking through the view finder of the camera. Ensure you look around and experience the little things like the 360 degree sunset, the birds roosting, the look of the corona near maximum and the visible prominences and the magenta sky. Your first eclipse is the one you remember the best and wasting it by trying to get bracketted shots or fiddling with equipment is going to waste precious views. From what I have read from other eclipse chasers and from my own experience it takes 3-4 eclipses to get everything right for imaging. So why not just take the odd shot and not worry. 2 minutes goes really quickly.

Anyway, cloud or not it will once again be magical to be in the shadow of the moon. I have a good feeling again about seeing it, so maybe 3rd time is a charm. For me each time I have had a good feeling and each time we have seen the eclipse. Go figure.
Very good suggestions, Paul.
Old 24-03-2011, 08:12 PM
starrynight (Philip)
Astronomy in Byron Bay

Cairns Esplanade

Just returned from a fact finding mission, travelling up from Cairns to Port Douglas.The city foreshore will have a problem with C1 to C2 because the aboriginal reserve will be in direct line with the suns path. (Elevation for C1 2deg above horizon and 108 degrees SE. Totality at 14 deg and 105 degrees S.E could also be a problem. We stayed 1.5km up towards the airport on the 5th floor which should improve things. The Coral towers hotel has posted pics taken on Nov 14th last year and show the sun well clear of the 800m peak, but this may have been taken from the roof. Still plenty of accommodation and a really nice spot.Further up Yorkeys knob and Trinity have excellent horizon views but apartments are expensive with most taking 5-7 day bookings at up to $300 a night! Eclipse week is a double high in the low season.Anyway we booked the big caravan park in the city at only $31 per night and will probably go up to Yorkeys on the 13th. Forget Ellis Beach CP-its full. It was cloudy on the horizon every evening and morning in Cairns so exact visual determination was difficult. We used google earth to calculate distances and angles. I am sure all the northern beaches will have some sort of "celebration" on the lead up days so its going to be pretty congested.