Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 29-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Hisanori (Hisanori)

Jupiter with GRS & OvalBA in CM w/NTZ Outbreak

I took a moment of GRS, Oval BA and new outbreak in NTZ lining up together last night. The seeing was supposed to be good with no surface wind and jet streams below 20-30 knots in Sydney. Only issue was a back burning started last night in nearby bushlands. Andrew gave me a good idea to use ice packs! (Thank you!) Taped up few packs on the back panel with paint masking tapes lol. The scope didn't look attractive but it worked

Saturn was in good seeing as well.

Added a bit of saturation to make colours attractive. With my 12 inch SCT and ZWO ASI224MC. F20.

Hisanori
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
184.9 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
119.3 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
66.3 KB8 views

Last edited by Hisanori; 04-09-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 30-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice images Hisanori, your images have a quite unique colour cast to them, and you are getting some sharpening artifacts on the lower parts of the planet underneath the rings. I apply a different sharpening process between the planet and the rings in Photoshop, maybe this might help?

I like the ice packs, I'm able to point my OTA at the ground and rest the ice packs on the back surface, but tape works too .

Andrew
Old 30-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Hisanori (Hisanori)

Thanks Andrew,

Yeah ice packs taping up on the back of the mirror works well (and my home-made SCT cooler I added silica-gels in a bag as dehumidifier recently). Saturn - Sorry I was sloppy to clean up that artifact. I always get this artifact after derotated with Winjupos. I tried PS's Healing Brush Tool to touh up and reposted in my orginal post. Do you know better methods?

Hisanori
Old 30-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

I never derotate Saturn in WinJupos, there doesn't seem to be much point and it always looks worse when I try it. Have you noticed WJ improve your images of Saturn?

I use the healing brush on Mars (and sometimes Jupiter) to soften the diffraction edge rind that appears on the planet after sharpening, then blur the edge to even it up a bit more. To get the final extra bit of sharpening in PS, I draw a freehand selection box around the planet, select the inverse and then use the sharpen tool to make the Cassini Division pop out a little more.
Old 31-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Hisanori (Hisanori)

Yeah Andrew, I usually use Winjupos on Saturn. I like it because it sharpens edges very well. Need a bit of trial and error until an image measurement fit in an exact spot (in another word you never know what is an exact fit. It is a guesswork). But an issue is an artifact underneath the ring. Sometimes the shadow gets funny artifact as well. My image was derotated three stacked files (3 minutes video each) into one.

Took off a little bit of green from Jupiter and reposted

Hisanori