Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.10 average.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:27 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Such a lot of information there Suzy
Thanks for posting
Cheers
Old 29-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Over the nights of 27th and 28th, I put my new GSO OIII filter to the test on the following PN: NGC 5189, IC 4406, NGC 5882, NGC 6072, NGC 3918, NGC 5882, NGC 6818, NGC 6891, NGC 6369, M27, NGC 7009, NGC 6572, NGC 6751, NGC 6781 and NGC 6629.

The OIII filter made significant improvements on NGC 5189 (which I viewed before the sky was completely dark). I didn't compare filtered to non-filtered on all the objects though - I just left the filter in. NGC 7009 (Saturn Nebula) was the stand out but it didn't need the filter to be a good object.

There were some PN I failed to see even with the filter: NGC 6802, NGC 6879, IC 5148, IC 4406 and IC 4997. I will have to try them again some time. If anyone has luck with them with a small to medium scope: let me know please (8" or 10" - I don't need to know if a 16" can find them).
Old 29-08-2011, 07:09 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Thanks for the info Suzy

Ive got an Astronomik UHC filter, but also thinking I might pick up an OIII and give it a try. Loving hunting down those PN's, although light pollution at home, a solid-tube 12" and a car too small to transport it to darker skies is a pain...lol

Davin
Old 30-08-2011, 01:05 PM
chich0 (Chris)

Thanks for the link Suzy!

Keep the reports/tips coming guys this is a very informative thread.

Old 30-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Your welcome everyone .

Mike, can we please have this thread as a sticky in the observing forum?

It'd be such a shame to see so much helpful information on this thread eventually go forgotten.
Old 30-08-2011, 04:33 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Grant quote
There were some PN I failed to see even with the filter: NGC 6802, NGC 6879, IC 5148, IC 4406 and IC 4997. I will have to try them again some time. If anyone has luck with them with a small to medium scope: let me know please (8" or 10" - I don't need to know if a 16" can find them).

Well I wont tell you then
But still observe them anyway.
Cheers
Old 30-08-2011, 05:57 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dav_2001 View Post
Thanks for the info Suzy

Ive got an Astronomik UHC filter, but also thinking I might pick up an OIII and give it a try.

Davin
Hi Dav,

To be honest I would hold off buying the OIII filter for the time being, unless money is of minor concern. True there are a few planetary Nebula the OIII filter works better on than the UHC filter, but those aren't too common. The Astronomiks UHC filter you have is a very high quality UHC filter and one of my favourite narrowband filters, along with the DGM Optics NPB filter. It is about as good a filter as you will find for planetary nebula IMO.

One of my observing colleagues, Andrew Murrell is one of the most skilled planetary nebula observers in the world. A few years ago he discovered a new previouly undiscovered planetary nebula now known as Murrell 1, in Norma. Up until two years ago Andrew didnt even own an OIII filter and only got the one he got two years ago, because someone else bought it for him. Otherwise, he still wouldn't own one as he doesn't use the one he has.

Cheers,
John B
Old 30-08-2011, 06:22 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Dav,

To be honest I would hold off buying the OIII filter for the time being, unless money is of minor concern. True there are a few planetary Nebula the OIII filter works better on than the UHC filter, but those aren't too common. The Astronomiks UHC filter you have is a very high quality UHC filter and one of my favourite narrowband filters, along with the DGM Optics NPB filter. It is about as good a filter as you will find for planetary nebula IMO.

One of my observing colleagues, Andrew Murrell is one of the most skilled planetary nebula observers in the world. A few years ago he discovered a new previouly undiscovered planetary nebula now known as Murrell 1, in Norma. Up until two years ago Andrew didnt even own an OIII filter and only got the one he got two years ago, because someone else bought it for him. Otherwise, he still wouldn't own one as he doesn't use the one he has.

Cheers,
John B
Hi John,

Im a big fan of the UHC, i was just thinking that the OIII would clear some things up a bit more, but ive done a bit more reading, and it seems it would be pretty pointless as there's not a lot of difference between the two, and in my light-polluted skies, whatever difference there is wont be really obvious anyway.

Wow, discovering a PN would be great... It would be pretty cool to have something named after you up there... Although with my 12", i doubt im gunna find anything new anytime soon...lol

Dav
Old 30-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Having just purchased an OIII filter, I can say that it really helps with most of the PN I have been observing. A couple are barely visible without the filter, but very easy and clear with it. It isn't a case of all PNs are vastly improved, but I would safely say most are much better. It also helps me cut down on light polution when observing PN.
I would recommend it for someone interested in PN and it is good value for what it does (mine was $59 from Andrews).
Old 30-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post

Well I wont tell you then
But still observe them anyway.
Cheers
Thanks! No offence meant in any way!!!
I just wanted a point of comparison with people of similar scopes!
Old 30-08-2011, 08:13 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
Thanks! No offence meant in any way!!!
I just wanted a point of comparison with people of similar scopes!

No Offense taken it was just a bit of fun
And yes I will observe them and put them in a Separate report for "Bigger" telescopes
Cheers
Old 30-08-2021, 09:21 PM
BarbaraGilbert (Barbara)

Thank you, Suzy! The branch was very informative and helpful.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:47 PM
brumby77 (David)

Astro

Very enjoyable read