Old 11-10-2020, 03:54 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

New scope

Hey all,

I've been enjoying my Orion ED80T CF on my HEQ5 mount for years, and thinking of getting a bigger scope, as I'd really like to get closer, while observing and imaging with my Canon 50D.

Sometimes I add a 4x TeleVue on, though it does make things harder to focus.

I'd like something to help reach the planets a little closer, and DSOs in general. I really love my Orion, but it's just a very wide angle scope at 480mm.

Curious to get input/thoughts? Budget is around $1-2k, thinking of something like the "Bintel GSO RC8 f/8 Astrograph". To go on my current mount ideally. Wonder if i"m still going to have focal length envy? Or other things to factor in???

Keen to hear if others have a similar "propsed" setup, things they like, things they'd still want?

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 11-10-2020, 04:46 PM
glend (Glen)

Daniel, my advice is to stay away from budget RCs like the GSO. Many come to grief trying to collimate those RCs, for chase down errors that they have created. They can produce very nice images but are a challenge. If you want a reflector type scope a Newtonian would be much easier to collimate, and use imho. An 8" f4 or f5 Newt will give you 800 or 1000mm of focal length with pure colour rendition, just my opinion. An 8" newt is pretty cheap as an investment, and they can be found in the classified section here from time to time.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Saturn488

Newtonian is great bang for the buck but you need to get used to collimating it. I went down that route for a while and did enjoy it but got over it quickly.

I would stick to a nice refractor but if you want to stick to the planets an SCT will do the trick. I owned the Celestron C8 for a few years and was fantastic for planets and I even got a nice shot of M42 using a focal reducer.

I have also had an Astrograph which was great as well but didn't really use it at all as at the time I didn't know it couldn't be used for visual as well. I am purely an imager now so owning that RC would be great now.

You can get a Celestron C6 for around $1250.

You will need to make a decision based on if you want to mainly image planets or DSO? DSO much more choice, planets you may get over quickly. I used to be planets then went to DSO now heading back to do a bit of the planets as well as still doing DSO.

You can get various focal reducers and barlows but you should purchase the scope based on what you will be imaging mainly with it.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Thanks Glen and Chrys for the quick replies!

I think I've stayed clear of reflectors, and hence started with a refarctor for its ease. Maybe I'm being foolish just focusing on greater focal length (fun pun intended).

8" f/4 newt (800-1000m) or Celestron C6 (1500mm) do sound tempting.

I agree I'd probably get bored with planets, though would keep coming back to them, kind of like the moon. At first feels like little variation, but there's always the endless pursuit of a cleaner image, slightly different phase, etc. I'd like to aim some super long focal length and try some tiling moon pics too.

Will keep thinking, researching and post back here with ideas, more questions, etc.

Thanks again!
Old 15-10-2020, 09:09 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Been leaning towards the Celestron C6, for imaging and viewing though just noticed it's only a 1.25" back? So my 2" Canon T-mount won't work so well? Should I just get an adaptor, or is this why people use a reducer too?