Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
allan gould

AP CCDT67 FR and GSO10"RC

I have been trialling a series of equipment to see exactly how they interact and in particular I was interested which FR that I have would be compatible with my GSO 10" RC.
I found that the Lumicon 2" screw in FR worked quite well with the GSO 10" RC ( see http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=109802) but I had seen some great shots with the AP CCDT67 FR with the GSO10"RC and so I ordered one. When it came I had the 5" refractor on the mount so I trialled it with that and it gave excellent results (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=110044) and was more than happy.
Last night I managed to do some images with the CCDT67 and the GSO 10" RC and I was very pleased with the result. The first image is an uncorrected full frame from my QHY10 which shows a little vignetting, but this has no flats, darks or bias frames. Its rotated to match the second image which is the full frame field of the qhy10 with no flattener on the GSO RC . The vignetting is easily removed by flats.
Im very happy with this now and can stop fiddling with all these attachments and get down to some serious imaging when the clouds, rain and moon bugger off.
Comments welcomed.
PS I wanted to see if I could process M42 a little differently than all the other images Ive done and did it to look like an "old manuscript"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42+ccdt67.jpg)
133.1 KB335 views
Click for full-size image (M42+ccdt67-cut.jpg)
91.9 KB307 views

Last edited by allan gould; 01-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks good, Allan! Glad to hear you're happy with the CCDT67.

I'm hoping for some clear nights so I can get my RC10 working again. Doesn't look like I missed many imaging opportunities over the past five weeks while I was away in Europe!

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks good, Allan! Glad to hear you're happy with the CCDT67.

I'm hoping for some clear nights so I can get my RC10 working again. Doesn't look like I missed many imaging opportunities over the past five weeks while I was away in Europe!

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks Rick - no you sure didnt. If I didnt have the observatory then Id have missed what fleeting opportunities there were to test this equipment. Im really falling in love with this 10" scope as it has so much potential.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Ken

Your imaging system looks like a winner, are you happy with the qhy10 as I have been thinking of buying one.
Clear skies Ken.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM
allan gould

Ken
YesI've been very happy with it. I had a qhy8 previously and the extra pixels and ascom work well. Have been impressed with Theo's service too. The only thing I wish is that it had the same layout as the qhy8 as I don't like it sticking out the back so much. I find the cables have to be tied to the body to prevent strain. But as an OSC it can't be beat with its low noise etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Allan

Wonder if you could tell me what is the spacing/adaptor you used to fit the APCCDT67 to your 10" RC?

A photo would be better if you don't mind since the clouds/moon is around!

Thanks is advance
Cheers
Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM
allan gould

spacing was as per the AP site which was 101mm. This distance comprises of 20mm for the camera chip distance, 30mm for the first spacer, 10 mm for the second spacer, 25mm for the 2" to T nosepiece and 16 mm for the reducer (according to AP)=101mm. The attached photo should help.
Regards, Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC00024.jpg)
102.7 KB296 views
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Thanks Allan

So from looking at the image the whole lot (from reducer to the rear lip of the 2"-T2 adaptor) goes into the focuser as a 2" "nose-piece" like insertion - is that right? I think that's how it looks like to me anyway

Now I've got to try that out sooner rather than later!

Cheers
Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Paul Haese

Promising results Allan. I look forward to your results.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Thanks Allan

So from looking at the image the whole lot (from reducer to the rear lip of the 2"-T2 adaptor) goes into the focuser as a 2" "nose-piece" like insertion - is that right? I think that's how it looks like to me anyway

Now I've got to try that out sooner rather than later!

Cheers
Bill
Bill, that's correct.
Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Promising results Allan. I look forward to your results.
looks like you would be able to use this or the other reducer from AP for your 12", Paul
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Paul Haese

Does it have a screw thread Allan? I am only doing screw threads these days. No chance of any movement then.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
allan gould

Yes the CCDT67 threads into the 2" adapter. The ccdt67 has 48mm threads front (female) and back (male). Hope this helps Paul. AP has another reducer that they specifically use for larger chip cameras as well as has a greater distance between fr and the sensor chip.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Yes the CCDT67 threads into the 2" adapter. The ccdt67 has 48mm threads front (female) and back (male). Hope this helps Paul. AP has another reducer that they specifically use for larger chip cameras as well as has a greater distance between fr and the sensor chip.
I think I will need to look at the larger chip for the 12RC. I am using the STL11 on it and I think that reducer would vignette.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Same setup here - happy with the FR...

Except I have the CCDT667 mounted in the new model Moonlite focuser that matches the GSO RCs.

This allows you to match spacing to a variety of ccd configs and to some extent adjust the amonut of reduction (subject to being able to reach focus).

Have not got much imaging done with it (Sydney weather)...but the test images are good. I do seem to have softness in one corner - not sure yet if that is due to the FR or a collimation issue.

Will post full frame crops when I get home...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMAG0066.jpg)
132.3 KB161 views
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
I think I will need to look at the larger chip for the 12RC. I am using the STL11 on it and I think that reducer would vignette.
Paul,

The larger reducer, the 27TVPH, has a fully illuminated image circle of 42mm at max reduction of 0.75x. The image circle is a little bigger at lower reduction ratios. I'm using mine at about 0.8x on a RC10.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
allan gould

I've also put a Moonlight focuser on the 10" RC using the CCDT67 and by fiddling with the spacing I can now get full illumination of the qhy10 chip. But for the 12" I would recommend the 27 TVPH as Rick has mentioned. AP make very good FR for a flat field.
Old 18-07-2012, 03:16 AM
dp297 (Dimitris)

Hi guys,

I also got the Moonlite focuser with the insert for the CCDT67, however, I simply cannot figure this thing out.

It 'appears' that I can only reach focus when the distance between the CCDT67 and the DSLR 350D sensor is just right. That cant be right? Otherwise there is point in focusing. What am I missing?
What kind of combination of extension or 'stuff' do I need to make the CCDT67 work on my RC8?
Old 18-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Does it have a screw thread Allan? I am only doing screw threads these days. No chance of any movement then.

I'm with you on that score, I use teflon tape on the threads as well
Old 19-07-2012, 08:19 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp297 View Post
Hi guys,

I also got the Moonlite focuser with the insert for the CCDT67, however, I simply cannot figure this thing out.

It 'appears' that I can only reach focus when the distance between the CCDT67 and the DSLR 350D sensor is just right. That cant be right? Otherwise there is point in focusing. What am I missing?
What kind of combination of extension or 'stuff' do I need to make the CCDT67 work on my RC8?
I am not quite sure what your issue is - can you achieve focus with the FR in the imaging train? If yes then what is the issue? In my case (RC10 Sbig ST2000xm) with the Moonlite focuser directly on the OTA I can move the FR in/out a little and still get focus (this gives slightly greater or lesser reduction than the optimal spacing) but the ideal is to use the FR at it's designed spacing.

Do you mean you cannot get focus when you remove the FR? This is the case with my setup also as this model focuser has a short draw tube - if I want to run the scope native I have to use one of the supplied extensions. To my way of thinking this is better than very long draw tubes which could sag/flex, or you could get the longer draw tube and fit it if you want (of course you cannot mount the FR in that).

Hope that helps!

John
Old 20-07-2012, 02:46 AM
dp297 (Dimitris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
I am not quite sure what your issue is - can you achieve focus with the FR in the imaging train? If yes then what is the issue? In my case (RC10 Sbig ST2000xm) with the Moonlite focuser directly on the OTA I can move the FR in/out a little and still get focus (this gives slightly greater or lesser reduction than the optimal spacing) but the ideal is to use the FR at it's designed spacing.

Do you mean you cannot get focus when you remove the FR? This is the case with my setup also as this model focuser has a short draw tube - if I want to run the scope native I have to use one of the supplied extensions. To my way of thinking this is better than very long draw tubes which could sag/flex, or you could get the longer draw tube and fit it if you want (of course you cannot mount the FR in that).

Hope that helps!

John

Thanks for the reply..

I mean I cant get focus when the FR is in the slot inside the Moonlite focuser.
I screw the FR inside the drawtube in the Moonlite focuser and then add my DSLR (with T2 adapter). Calculating the distance its about 110-125mm (FR to sensor). Slightly longer that optimal due to DSLR sensor being buried deep inside. I just cant get focus. By removing the t2 adapter and playing with distances manually I can get focus...but...thats not how its supposed to work.

Would you mind describing your setup (adapters, distances etc)??