Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 07-09-2020, 03:55 PM
AdamJL

Mobile Power Requirements - EQ6-R + Laptop

Hi all

Looking at buying my first mount (serious one.. I use an Astrotrac currently), plus scope.

In the field, away from home, I need something to power it all. Not going down the route of "build your own power supply", this hobby is technical enough, I don't need to worry about something else.

So will need to power

Mount: EQ6-R + synscan - 12V @ 4A = 48W?
Polar Align: Polemaster - USB, draws from laptop
Laptop: Surface Book 2 - Brick supplies power for laptop 15V @ 6.3A - 94.5W and USB port 5V @ 1.5A - 7.5W

150W minimum required.

That right?

I now have to try and find a power supply that will provide me around 200W for safety?

I guess the alternative is to run the Surface Book from full charge. It has a very long lasting battery (can get 10 hours if I'm lucky), but just in case....
Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

The mount draws 4A when it's slewing. My EQ6 draws less than 1A when you're just tracking. I personally use 2-3 38Ah Deep Cycle batteries. These last me about 2 days without needing to recharge. Just a note about 12V Lead acid batteries, don't let them fall below 12.3V at a minimum. It'll decrease the battery life and doesn't do your electronics any favours.

If your surface pro is anything like my laptop which charges using USB-C there are some PD mobile power banks that are suitable. I have one that can deliver up to 45W and can charge my laptop 75% from flat.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:27 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
The mount draws 4A when it's slewing. My EQ6 draws less than 1A when you're just tracking.
Okay, thanks. I'll still need the 4A to cater for slewing though?

Quote:
I personally use 2-3 38Ah Deep Cycle batteries. These last me about 2 days without needing to recharge. Just a note about 12V Lead acid batteries, don't let them fall below 12.3V at a minimum. It'll decrease the battery life and doesn't do your electronics any favours.
Yeah as I mentioned, not going down the "build your own" route
I just want plug and play

Quote:
If your surface pro is anything like my laptop which charges using USB-C there are some PD mobile power banks that are suitable. I have one that can deliver up to 45W and can charge my laptop 75% from flat.
Sadly the Surface Book is more powerful than the Surface Pro, and it doesn't really charge well from USB-C. It can, but it's very slow. For the Book line, it's the magnetic Surface Connect port that gives the best juice.

edit: cool avatar by the way!
Old 08-09-2020, 02:30 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

12v deep cycle batteries are plug and play. I've just put these and these. It literally is plug and play. I don't even have a case for it.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM
raymo

4amps is when both axes are slewing simultaneously, which I wouldn't think
you would do very often, or for very long. Considering that almost all motor work is tracking at 1amp, the tiny amount of slewing at 2amp or 4amp is pretty much irrelevant as far as your battery's capacity is concerned.
raymo.

Last edited by raymo; 08-09-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: more text
Old 08-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

Tony , could I ask you which deep cycle battery you use and where you got it from, Thanks,Rob
Old 09-09-2020, 07:34 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I use 2 from when ALDI has their specials. They're the 38Ah types. I have another one I bought from a battery store down on the Gold Coast that is an AGM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Spleenus (Darren)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
12v deep cycle batteries are plug and play. I've just put these and these. It literally is plug and play. I don't even have a case for it.
For me, that's actually a very helpful post so thank you .

From what I've seen (because I've also been looking for a battery), most people just say 'use a 12v deep cycle battery' but then don't elaborate on how you would connect up the equipment. So I can see what the OP means when he just wants a plug and play solution.
Old 28-09-2020, 01:42 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenus View Post
For me, that's actually a very helpful post so thank you .

From what I've seen (because I've also been looking for a battery), most people just say 'use a 12v deep cycle battery' but then don't elaborate on how you would connect up the equipment. So I can see what the OP means when he just wants a plug and play solution.
Agree with this, thank you for the post! Very helpful.