Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
mozzie (Peter)

volcanic crater

i was reading this month's aussie sky & telescope mag and was excited to read this article...i'll have a look at that,well last night nice and clear skyies . there was some waving across the eyepiece while viewing and an 8 day moon looking at my chart it seemed to be as good a time..using meads moon features i was able to sync on i point then find what ever in it's data base and goto it....
Hyginus was in it's crater data base set it and straight away telescope was centered on it at 102x moon filter(stops the eyeball from burning out of my head)and i could see the rille arms both sides of the crater.then 209x more detail seen along rille with a mass of smaller craters within the rille,just as in the article but not to the detail of nasa's orbiter,wow i was really excited.let's try 540x with some waving across moon and minimal focus i was able to get some glimpses of crater and rille with picture perfect seeing and the detail of Hyginus and how it looked different from other craters as they say a volcano not an impact it's wall structure seemed straight down to the base and it's appearance was not of a crater,craters seemed to be curved to the base due to the way they are formed...and the rille was exciting to view with good detail many curves and objects within to see..
it was a terrific evening that was the only object i viewed approx 3 hours and thanks to the magazine for pointing it out.... have a look tonight !!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM
lepton3 (Ivan)

Hi Mozzie,

I looked at this last night as well (also took some images). As you say, very different from an impact crater, looks like it just sank right into the moon. Imagine standing on the edge looking down...

Thanks for the report. I reckon the Moon column is one of the best parts of AS&T mag.

-Ivan
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM
mozzie (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepton3 View Post
Hi Mozzie,

I looked at this last night as well (also took some images). As you say, very different from an impact crater, looks like it just sank right into the moon. Imagine standing on the edge looking down...

Thanks for the report. I reckon the Moon column is one of the best parts of AS&T mag.

-Ivan
hi ivan
yes iv'e dismissed the moon over the years but i,m going to do some more..
next moon i,m going to have alook around 6 to 7 day moon.to see if i can get on terminator and give me a different view.......