Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Thieving Aust Post again

Went to send a light box to NT today nearly fell off my perch when I got the quote for freight. For a carton 33x33x29 at 1.7kg to postcode 0839 from Adelaide is $62 includes signature and insurance. The same carton if I sent to Sydney is $32.80 and 10 days less travel time. How in hell can they justify that difference
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Russj (Russ)

Try Officeworks "Mailman" I sent a 2 parcels to WA for half the price of AP.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

$33.76 Pack and send.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:42 PM
leon

Peter I sent a box the same size you describe to Brisbane the other day it was registered and insured and weighed nearly 5kg's and that cost me nearly the same as your item.

Leon
Old 02-10-2018, 03:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Rip off alright ....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 02-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
$33.76 Pack and send.
Rang Pack and send, by the time I get signature on delivery and insurance it is $46.00 and I have to print off special labels and find the nearest office to me which is 10km away I believe. Plus this price is if I do it online, a lot more if I just roll up with the carton.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My latest escapades with AusPost have been nothing short of mind boggling.

Lately, the contractor just can't be bothered bringing signature packages to the house, even though he knows I am working from home. Instead, if I track online, I get a "Attempted delivery - no safe drop available. Carded, returned to post office". No one has come to the door, and no card.

I go collect, and sure enough, the NEXT day I get the card.

So, contractor is leaving it at the depot, carding it then and there since he is too "busy" / lazy to bring it 50 metres to the house. that's been 5 out the recent 5 packages. Aus Post told me to complain, so I did.

Tracking simply doesn't work any more because 99% of the time no one bothers scanning it any more. Last time I sent a telescope to WA, it showed NO tracking until it arrived. NONE from ACT to WA. Said it was still at my local post office until it arrived in WA, and yet we pay a premium for registered and insured delivery with signature.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Russj (Russ)

Lately, the contractor just can't be bothered bringing signature packages to the house, even though he knows I am working from home. Instead, if I track online, I get a "Attempted delivery - no safe drop available. Carded, returned to post office". No one has come to the door, and no card.

Had the same problem, the contactor would sit in the van fill out the card dash up the drive put the card in the flyscreen and be gone faster than a fart in a high wind. I went onto the AP website and compalined, with in 60 mins I had a reply requesting details, which I sent, ltr that afternoon they emailed me to say they had talked to the local parcel manager and if I had further problems to reopen the case, best service I ever had from AP, and the contractor now delivers the parcels.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Check out e-Go.com.au, ive used them to send all kinds of packages including expensive guitars & a telescope. They have options for door to door, door to depot, etc.... with discounts available for various options. Never had a problem with their service & cost is very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Went to send a light box to NT today nearly fell off my perch when I got the quote for freight. For a carton 33x33x29 at 1.7kg to postcode 0839 from Adelaide is $62 includes signature and insurance. The same carton if I sent to Sydney is $32.80 and 10 days less travel time. How in hell can they justify that difference

Last edited by Outcast; 03-10-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Have you ever ordered something from Amazon US? I got tracking follow up in near realtime through 3 separate carriers passing each other information in a coordinated way and the parcel arrived 10 days ahead of schedule. In the end I could follow tracking in triplicate. I thought I was in the twilight zone when the door bell rang yesterday arvo. Maybe it was a one of but if auspost operated like that they'd be a lot more popular.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Aust Post's charges for NT related shipping are operating in the realm of fantacism, they really are shooting themselves in the foot I reckon.
Ok it is sort of remote, but not to the point of 100% mark-up compared to eastern states. The light box carton weighed 1.7kg and somehow with their cubic crap conversion it weighed 8.9kg and to take 2 weeks compared to 3 days absolutely makes no sense. I can get gear out from the UK in a week, and I regularly buy supplements from the US and they are here, tracked within a week. This is just blatant extortion I reckon.
to say I am pissed off would be an understatement.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
We deal with customers at work in NT, and unfortunately they consider it as a remote area that is "hard" to access and usually have surcharges on these areas. NT will always be more expensive , though a courier company will be much cheaper than auspost.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM
leon

I had a item delivered once, i was tracking it and it said still in transit
But I had it at home and opened and was using it

Leon
Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Aust Post's charges for NT related shipping are operating in the realm of fantacism, they really are shooting themselves in the foot I reckon.
Ok it is sort of remote, but not to the point of 100% mark-up compared to eastern states. The light box carton weighed 1.7kg and somehow with their cubic crap conversion it weighed 8.9kg and to take 2 weeks compared to 3 days absolutely makes no sense. I can get gear out from the UK in a week, and I regularly buy supplements from the US and they are here, tracked within a week. This is just blatant extortion I reckon.
to say I am pissed off would be an understatement.

Peter, they did that to me ( cubic crap conversion ) some time ago on an item that weight less than 1kg...because it was in box...I know how you feel.....license to print money ...I left very unhappy with the way they did that.

Col...
Old 03-10-2018, 02:19 PM
gary

Quote:
Went to send a light box to NT today nearly fell off my perch when I got the quote for freight. For a carton 33x33x29 at 1.7kg to postcode 0839 from Adelaide is $62 includes signature and insurance. The same carton if I sent to Sydney is $32.80 and 10 days less travel time.
Quote:
The light box carton weighed 1.7kg and somehow with their cubic crap conversion it weighed 8.9kg
Hi Peter,

A parcel of 33cm x 33cm x 29cm has a Australia Post "cubic weight" of 5.26kg,
not 8.9kg and should have come to $52.65 from Adelaide to 0839.

(i.e. 33 x 33 x 29 / 6000)

The same parcel going from Adelaide to Sydney would have come to $23.89.

You don't see much reporting about it in the press, but Australia Post prices
have risen just about every 6 month to 12 month period whilst the current
government has been in power. For example, they rose again two days ago
on 1 Oct 2018. They rose in March this year and again in October last year.
They rose two or three times in 2016 and many times prior to that
year in and year out back to 2013.

And of course service times have become longer for regular mail.

One "trick" to increase prices on overseas parcels is that they simply
re-designate what "zone" a country falls in. They did that last year.
Australia Post sent out a press release stating that there were no overseas price
rises but what they failed to state in the press release is that for some
countries they changed their designations to zones that were
already more expensive than the ones they were in.

Doing that does have the advantage that it saves Communications
Ministers having to pass on unpleasant news.

Meantime Australia continues to kick "own goals" by subdividing the
delivery of parcels from China, many of which are unashamedly
franked by China Post as "0.00 Yuan".
Old 03-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Kunama

I have a Baader Prism on the back of my FOA60 in Canberra, it was posted yesterday by Express Post but according to AusPost tracking it has not left Deception Bay yet......

That really is Express Post.....
Old 03-10-2018, 03:13 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I have a Baader Prism on the back of my FOA60 in Canberra, it was posted yesterday by Express Post but according to AusPost tracking it has not left Deception Bay yet......

Still in Deception Bay ...
I suppose you want a ' refund ' now ....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 03-10-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post

That's deceptive
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Here is a scan of the sheet showing costings for the parcel. It does not show the actual measurements, but you can see I have freehanded them at the bottom of the scan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (img20181003_16395557.jpg)
187.7 KB24 views
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

No way mate , they ripped you off ! no 2 ways about it and I would go down and hit them up for a refund , they did a number on you .

To give an example , only yesterday I received a package from Sydney to me here in Perth .

It took 11 working days but we had WA's Queens birthday long weekend 1/2 way through so it could have easily been 8-10 days and that's about standard for anything to get over here , ( standard , express or whatever it takes that long ) , anyway the reason I say they ripped you off is that my box was ,,,,,

,,, 54 x 33 x 33 and weighed 11.6kg , ok ? it cost $76 and arrived in almost perfect condition , you got done brother . Get into them ! .

Brian.
Quote:
Here is a scan of the sheet showing costings for the parcel. It does not show the actual measurements, but you can see I have freehanded them at the bottom of the scan.